Older Jackson SL3's a hidden jem for short money

kmanick

So I picked this up last year for a pretty good price (for some reason Jackson aficionados seem to pass this model by). I had one in red back in 2005 and traded it in towards a USA Model and never really thought much about this model until this one popped up for sale. I grabbed it and decided out of the box these are really good guitars, but decided to step it up even more. I replaced the trem with an Original German made Floyd , changed the locking nut as well, pulled the pickups (too metal for what I needed this for) dropped in a Custom 5, a classic stack + and a quarter pounder in the neck. added a push pull pot to split the Custom 5 and now it's very close in playability to my USA SL-1 and sounds just as good. I don't know what wood they used for these but it's my heaviest soloist and probably my most 'alive" sounding. I've gigged it a few times and guitarists in the audience have told me it's a very "clear full sounding guitar". so if you see one of these in a store or online for cheap give it a try , it may surprise you. even with all of my upgrades I'm not into if for even 1/2 of what one of the new SL3's would cost you, and I've compared it to a new one and they feel very similar (neck wise)
with new hardware.jpg

Back