Finally trying Synergy

I started going down the synergy route but stopped when I got my Kemper. Im always think about getting back into though. I love the concept. I thought the uberschall module sounded better than my actual Rev Blue

I started going down the synergy route but stopped when I got my Kemper. Im always think about getting back into though. I love the concept. I thought the uberschall module sounded better than my actual Rev Blue
I just sold my FM3 and I was planning on getting an fm9 with the cash(plus some out of pocket of course).

The modelers and profilers are really fucking good but I have to admit there is a little bit of excitement from analog that's missing. I still plan on getting another fractal.

The reason I sold all my heads is I'm not jamming with anyone so they really didn't get used at a level to justify having them but I don't like 20 watt amps. Its a weird goldilocks thing for me. I want to be able to jam with a drummer if/when I can but 9.9 times out of 10 I'm at home playing along with music on my computer.

So far synergy seems to be hitting that sweet spot for Tone and function

What did you use for the power section? I'm using a KSR PA50 and the NFB control seems to always be the final touch when trying to dial in a modeler(haven't tried it with the synergy yet)
I was using my Fryette PS-1, or at least trying to. Admittedly, I didn't really care for it through the Fryette and had better results through the power section of my amps, which ultimately defeated the purpose for me. I thought about picking up one of their heads, because everything I had just sounded better through my buddy's SYN50, but ultimately just ended up selling the system as my main goal was to simplify my rig and adding another power amp or head was the opposite of what I wanted to do. That said, I did try it through the power section of the Mark IV and I still had similar feelings with it.

I've heard time and time again that the power amp makes a huge difference on these, which I definitely tend to believe... But that's why I got rid of mine. The whole purpose of the module system is to have a smaller package that can get most of the way there with the promise that the power amp is the least coloring part of the sound, so almost anything will work well. Since that definitely doesn't seem to be the case, it's novelty was lost on me.

I was using my Fryette PS-1, or at least trying to. Admittedly, I didn't really care for it through the Fryette and had better results through the power section of my amps, which ultimately defeated the purpose for me. I thought about picking up one of their heads, because everything I had just sounded better through my buddy's SYN50, but ultimately just ended up selling the system as my main goal was to simplify my rig and adding another power amp or head was the opposite of what I wanted to do. That said, I did try it through the power section of the Mark IV and I still had similar feelings with it.

I've heard time and time again that the power amp makes a huge difference on these, which I definitely tend to believe... But that's why I got rid of mine. The whole purpose of the module system is to have a smaller package that can get most of the way there with the promise that the power amp is the least coloring part of the sound, so almost anything will work well. Since that definitely doesn't seem to be the case, it's novelty was lost on me.
I love the PS1 but yeah probably not the best for this application.

At the end of the day, Synergy is just a tube preamp. ALL tube preamps depended on the power amp (and cab) for a big part of the overall tone. The bigness on depth and chunk comes from the power section and cab on any unit. Even on digital modeling.

I want to try the IICP and Pitbull modules but the graphic EQ sensitivity has me thinking that I will never stop f'ing with them.

The bigness on depth and chunk comes from the power section and cab on any unit. Even on digital modeling.
My FM3 and HX Stomp sound(ed) great through the PS-1. Plenty of chunk to them. My FM3 sounded so close to my Tremoverb into a measley .44 Magnum pedal power amp that in a blindfold A/B test, I couldn't tell the difference. I found the Synergy modules all had a signature to their sound that didn't quite sound right to me with anything other than their heads.

My FM3 and HX Stomp sound(ed) great through the PS-1. Plenty of chunk to them. My FM3 sounded so close to my Tremoverb into a measley .44 Magnum pedal power amp that in a blindfold A/B test, I couldn't tell the difference. I found the Synergy modules all had a signature to their sound that didn't quite sound right to me with anything other than their heads.
Those digital units have power amp sims in them to boost the low and high end. Plus, you can EQ the core sound to death. I run a 5 band parametric EQ in the loop of my Syn-2, and can achieve the same thing using that.

I switch back and forth between my Syn-2 and my FM3 all the time.

Those digital units have power amp sims in them to boost the low and high end. Plus, you can EQ the core sound to death. I run a 5 band parametric EQ in the loop of my Syn-2, and can achieve the same thing using that.

Yeah, I think that's the problem, though. The Synergy system is sold on also being a recording platform, basically as an analog modeler. By their own admission, most of the sound comes from the preamp, yet in practice this doesn't seem to be true. I think the new Dr Z module is the first step in the right direction with their built in "Zero Watt Poweramp," which includes the Phase Inverter and was designed to emulate the power amp sag you'd get from the real amp - so you don't have to use a power amp that matches it to get the right sound.

Yeah, I think that's the problem, though. The Synergy system is sold on also being a recording platform, basically as an analog modeler. By their own admission, most of the sound comes from the preamp, yet in practice this doesn't seem to be true. I think the new Dr Z module is the first step in the right direction with their built in "Zero Watt Poweramp," which includes the Phase Inverter and was designed to emulate the power amp sag you'd get from the real amp - so you don't have to use a power amp that matches it to get the right sound.
I have never even looked at those direct outs, lol. I know that will be about as useless as the recording outs on the Triaxis and JMP-1.

Yeah some amps have more sauce on the power amp side. Ignoring that is a mistake with some amps. Some can get away with it, others is always going to feel like something is missing.

I think I'm going to grab a 6505 module this week since I just sold my 6505. Or possibly an 800 module.

I loved the PS for the hx stomp and it was OK with the Quad Cortex. That is such a useful device with so many applications. I hate I no longer have one

Do you think the FM3 does a convincing recto tone?

I still never upgraded past the axe FX II. I still use it every day but with my tube amps and I don’t use the axe FX for its modeling too much anymore.

Over the years between when I got it and when it was discontinued I think the modeling improved and the recto model got closer to my real recto, but never quite there. Sometimes when I’m bored I’ll spend the time to tweak a patch to get as close as I can then tonematch to my recto. Usually I think it is pretty good but after a while the feel difference becomes more apparent.

Wondering if the FM3 is there yet.

I still never upgraded past the axe FX II. I still use it every day but with my tube amps and I don’t use the axe FX for its modeling too much anymore.

Over the years between when I got it and when it was discontinued I think the modeling improved and the recto model got closer to my real recto, but never quite there. Sometimes when I’m bored I’ll spend the time to tweak a patch to get as close as I can then tonematch to my recto. Usually I think it is pretty good but after a while the feel difference becomes more apparent.

The Recto is the one amp I felt my FM3 got the closest to. A/Bing it with my Tremoverb, I couldn't tell the difference. Interestingly, the 5150 III was much harder to match. The mid range was totally wrong.

Yeah some amps have more sauce on the power amp side. Ignoring that is a mistake with some amps. Some can get away with it, others is always going to feel like something is missing.

I think I'm going to grab a 6505 module this week since I just sold my 6505. Or possibly an 800 module.

I loved the PS for the hx stomp and it was OK with the Quad Cortex. That is such a useful device with so many applications. I hate I no longer have one
I like the 6505 module, but you do notice it doesn't have the big boom of the amp without the same power section. It is like a tighter, clearer version. I guess like the amp with the resonance lower, lol.

You might also look at the DRect, Uber, and Powerball, depending on what tone you are looking for. All of those are pretty nice. I think the DRect has a bigger sound than the 6505, while being in the same universe. The Uber is much tighter, but can have some weird mids. The Powerball is almost like a tighter 6505 mixed with Marshall type sound.

I dont know if I would say the FM3 is 'there', but I do think it is closer, and is better. The updates in the FM3 have kind of cleared up the low end and the lower mids. It doesnt sound as cardboardy and congested and has a more natural chug without mushing out. It seems like with the Axe II I was always finding it being mushy or cocked wahish. There was a fine line between those. I also think the dynamics on the FM3 are better. It seems like the main tools (Master, sag, output compressor) are more reactive in dialing in the amount of tightness and compression you want. The impedance curves are easier to work with.

I still use my Axe II in a parallel mixer loop as an effects processor with my Synergy rig. I mostly use it for delay and reverb.

I was actually playing my Triple Recto into a reactive load, my DRect Synergy module, and the FM3 dialed up to Recto 1 today. The real amp has more depth and bigness, but the DRect and FM3 both sound and feel very good also. The real amp tends to be fatter, while the Synergy and FM3 tend to be tighter and clearer. This was all into cabs. I really dont like direct FRFR sounds.

Cool, I always run my amps into my reactive load then axe II for FX (pretty much just delay and reverb), then into matrix gt1000 power amp to cabs, so similar setup.

Still unsure if I want to eventually get the FM3, or maybe check out profilers like the tonex, to capture my actual amps sounds.

I really like the 6505 module. Being able to have to two crunch or two lead channels with independent EQ's is a nice touch. The 800 module that I have is on the block at the moment. I like it, but prefer the Plexi and I there are some other modules that I want to try. Shoot me a PM if interested in the 800. Or if you maybe have a module as trade bait!

Cool, I always run my amps into my reactive load then axe II for FX (pretty much just delay and reverb), then into matrix gt1000 power amp to cabs, so similar setup.

Still unsure if I want to eventually get the FM3, or maybe check out profilers like the tonex, to capture my actual amps sounds.
Yeah, I have a similar setup. I do run the Axe through a mixer though. Everything goes through my mixer before it hits the GT1000FX. I think I mentioned this to you before, but you should try it and see if you notice a difference. I prefer it not going straight through.

I have been playing with the ToneX software lately. It is pretty cool. You can download the software for free, and you can download 20 models from online. I downloaded a few, and have been plugging it back through my rack and cabs. I thought the same thing, it could be cool to capture my amps with the OD pedals, and EQ, and capture that whole chain as 1 sound. I am undecided if it would be worth it to buy a pedal since I already have the FM3, but it could be a cool way to work since I use about 2% of the Fractal's capabilities. I could see just having a ToneX pedal, Chorus, Delay, and Reverb pedals, and a poweramp. Something like the Harley Benton Thunder 99.

Back