Comparing four Celestions - Metal clips added

Ok what the hell. Here's a Zilla Cab demo showcasing the V30 vs Redback. This video makes the Redback seem like it has a lowpass filter on at like 900 Hz or something, while your Redback sounds more like a great mix of the best parts of a V30 and T75.

Because of this Zilla video, I thought Redbacks had zero presence or any highs whatsoever. @ZEN Amps your video makes the Redback sound miles better. The Redback in your video actually has content above 1 kHz and sounds huge and balanced, and is my favorite speaker out of the four.

Makes me wonder what in the world is going on with the Redback in the Zilla video.

Sounds like they very poorly micd the Redback.

Ok what the hell. Here's a Zilla Cab demo showcasing the V30 vs Redback. This video makes the Redback seem like it has a lowpass filter on at like 900 Hz or something, while your Redback sounds more like a great mix of the best parts of a V30 and T75.

Because of this Zilla video, I thought Redbacks had zero presence or any highs whatsoever. @ZEN Amps your video makes the Redback sound miles better. The Redback in your video actually has content above 1 kHz and sounds huge and balanced, and is my favorite speaker out of the four.

Makes me wonder what in the world is going on with the Redback in the Zilla video.

Agreed. I didn’t give Redbacks a chance for a while from that and a few other clips making it sound too dark and smooth, but then a friend let me borrow there’s to try and it sounds much more like it does in Zen‘s clip, so I got 2 myself. It’s one of the few non-vintage speakers I’ve really liked

Yeah. They are special. @RedB4Black turned me on to them, and i thank him
If you like Redbacks, I find the ‘80’s G12-80 444 cones to be sort of like a better redback, although it is even a bit darker, looser and less loud, but it has even more of that great chewy low mid richness and growl and more raw being a vintage speaker

Sounds like they very poorly micd the Redback.
Agreed. I didn’t give Redbacks a chance for a while from that and a few other clips making it sound too dark and smooth, but then a friend let me borrow there’s to try and it sounds much more like it does in Zen‘s clip, so I got 2 myself. It’s one of the few non-vintage speakers I’ve really liked

Man that is so frustrating. Damn.

Well @ZEN Amps thanks for showcasing even more stuff I might end up spending money on. :D

If you like Redbacks, I find the ‘80’s G12-80 444 cones to be sort of like a better redback, although it is even a bit darker, looser and less loud, but it has even more of that great chewy low mid richness and growl and more raw being a vintage speaker
Hmmm...I only agree with the latter part of that description. Did you compare them in identical cabs?

Hmmm...I only agree with the latter part of that description. Did you compare them in identical cabs?
I did and more importantly to really zero in on the differences I also compared all speakers individually, isolated outside of a cab as well as in the same cab. That’s always my starting point before I play them in cabs. The 1777 cone G12-80 I have is also like that, but a bit brighter, slightly tighter, but doesn’t quite have the rich chewy low mid quality of the 444 cone version. I try to be as thorough as I can. Overall I really like the speakers

Hard to know what goes on behind the scenes, could be one of many factors. In this video the Redback also sounds very, very different than it should:

To my ear the Redback is somewhat darker than many other Celestions, but not by a long margin. Some guys say it's really thick and wooly - not my experience.

I realise this sounds hypercritical as I've just posted comparison clips, but you really need to try stuff for yourself. There are far too many variables and inconsistencies in recorded clips.

Bear in mind the V30 used in our clip was the smoother variety (2002). A more recent one would contrast more with the Redback in the 5-6k region - in fact that's likely a factor in the Zilia video.

Last edited:
Be careful with that approach. Open back cabinets provide less power handling capacity than closed back cabs, given the same speaker(s). No cab at all, even less. You may over exert the speaker without even realizing it.
My cabs are all closed back. I don’t have any open back cabinets. My Kerry Wright came with a second back option to make it open, but I never even tried it all these years lol. I’ll try it next time I do a speaker swap

Hard to know what goes on behind the scenes, could be one of many factors. In this video the Redback also sounds very, very different than it should:

To my ear the Redback is somewhat darker than many other Celestions, but not by a long margin. Some guys say it's really thick and wooly - not my experience.

I realise this sounds hypercritical as I've just posted comparison clips, but you really need to try stuff for yourself. There are far too many variables and inconsistencies in recorded clips.

Bear in mind the V30 used in our clip was the smoother variety (2002). A more recent one would contrast more with the Redback in the 5-6k region - in fact that's likely a factor in the Zilia video.

Yes that’s how my V30’s compared (brighter, grittier later variety). I also find the redbacks often times very thick and wooly, but still really like them for that rich, chewy quality they have in the low mids and the JBL D120F’s and E120’s really balance them out beautifully and they also tend to work well with my really tight amps like the Hermansson’s and Wizard Hell Razor

Might not be a popular thought but I wouldn't mic different speakers in the same spot on the the cone for comparison. I mic each speaker to maximize the best qualities of the speaker.

Also, when an amp is dialed in for a specific tone this is very speaker/mic dependent.

Back