Ceriatone models

• Thread starter Thread starter mchn13
  • Start date Start date
so is the edge switch diodes too? it lost a ton of volume when you engaged the eras clipping. was there still enough on tap for band volume? i dont play super loud, but....drummers...
The Edge switch engages bright caps. Yeah, there's still plenty of volume with the diodes engaged for keeping up with a drummer. Or at least with the lesser of the two clipping options. I think I still might end up with another Molecular at some point. I'm just so damn happy and satisfied with the tones I get from my VTM rig. I consider the Molecular a hand wired "boutique" modern VTM. :LOL:

The Edge switch engages bright caps. Yeah, there's still plenty of volume with the diodes engaged for keeping up with a drummer. Or at least with the lesser of the two clipping options. I think I still might end up with another Molecular at some point. I'm just so damn happy and satisfied with the tones I get from my VTM rig. I consider the Molecular a hand wired "boutique" modern VTM. :LOL:
Ohh thats a pretty dope comparison. Now i gotta look at your vtm clips lol.

it lost a ton of volume when you engaged the eras clipping. was there still enough on tap for band volume?

Yup, you just need to turn the volume up more. There's a specific point in the Master pot taper where all era modes meet volume wise. The Modern mode is very quiet til 8, then it gets loud pretty fast, also due to the Audio pot used for the Master (which means other modes are still quieter than they should, even though they're much louder).

Get the Molecular. You can make some adjustments if you so choose. But the Yeti, Chupa, Molecular are relatively similar. I've never tried the Gargoyle but I passed on it after trying the Nameless.

The JCM51 and JCM52 look really appealing in my opinion. Also, Bubbastain just sounds good. He can play a cheap guitar into a preamp pedal into an old ass Peavey Power Amp and Sheffield speakers and sound killer. I have a friend who was loaning me his KSR Gemini and he was like "there is this guy on YouTube that always gets killer demos that sound like what you would expect in the room". I said "you mean Bubbastain?" LOL.
How close is the molecular to an actual Cameron?

Oof… I mean to ally for sure🤣 who’s hurt you😬
I've never played a Cameron. And even if he started a new company building amps and was consistent I still wouldn't buy one no matter how cheap they are.

Having said that I agree with what Nik had said in his description it's a bit dark and smooth but well balanced. I preferred mine with a boost.

@bubbastain did you see the JCM52 model they have now? I kinda feel like that maybe close to a VTM feature and tone wise

Isn't the JCM52 just a 2203 circuit but with selectable Gain/MV?

I've been thinking of buying this amp. How is it?
It sounds great in the room thru a cab, but when you record with it, it sounds like an amp that's already been recorded.. if that makes any sense.

It sounds great in the room thru a cab, but when you record with it, it sounds like an amp that's already been recorded.. if that makes any sense.

A big theme with these amps (although I still really like them).

I know a guy who also builds Marshall/Fender/whatever clones and he mods his Friedman BE clones to sound less smooth and "pre-recorded"

Might ask him how just for the info next time I talk to him.

A big theme with these amps (although I still really like them).

I know a guy who also builds Marshall/Fender/whatever clones and he mods his Friedman BE clones to sound less smooth and "pre-recorded"

Might ask him how just for the info next time I talk to him.
Any chance of a clip? Would be awesome to hear what that's like.

Any chance of a clip? Would be awesome to hear what that's like.
He's made one for a client, but never took clips of that sadly.

But I modded my Smallbox with bright caps on the BE channel and and that helped a bit. And I saw that cragginshrd has a modded BE Deluxe whose biggest change towards a more rawer sound is, like, an additional 2 resistors.

So I imagine it wouldn't be hard to change more components to make one sound more aggressive.

@bubbastain did you see the JCM52 model they have now? I kinda feel like that maybe close to a VTM feature and tone wise
Just took a look right now. Seems cool for sure. I'd like to hear a demo from someone else too to get a better feel for it. I just seem to always go back to the VTM. LOL!

Imho a big factor when it comes to hot rodded 'shalls and politeness/pre-recorded tone is the use of presence and eventually a NFB control. Speakers might help too

+1 for getting an NFB control. I asked for that and a 3-way bright switch when they built my 2203. Sometimes you might want more or less of one or the other, depending on where you set the gain and the MV. Tons of flexibility.

Their JCM 51/101 seems along the lines of the Friedman JEL in terms of plexi and 800 channels, but with shared tone controls. I probably would have gotten a JCM 101 instead of a 2203, if it had been an option back then.

Imho a big factor when it comes to hot rodded 'shalls and politeness/pre-recorded tone is the use of presence and eventually a NFB control. Speakers might help too
Yeah I could be wrong but filtering also has an effect on how polished it sounds.

Personally the JCM51 and 52 seems like an awesome idea for everyone except Ceriatone sales. Like now I would just need the 51 vs 2 full amps

Yeah I could be wrong but filtering also has an effect on how polished it sounds.

Personally the JCM51 and 52 seems like an awesome idea for everyone except Ceriatone sales. Like now I would just need the 51 vs 2 full amps
It's funny you say that because I'm literally debating emailing them to see if they could combine all their "All Access" amps into a single custom box.

JTM/SLP/SLB/JCM800 is like roughly 80% the same? Maybe with a ton of switching it's doable.

It's funny you say that because I'm literally debating emailing them to see if they could combine all their "All Access" amps into a single custom box.

JTM/SLP/SLB/JCM800 is like roughly 80% the same? Maybe with a ton of switching it's doable.
I personally wouldn't do this. For me it seems like something is always getting sacrificed when you add something

I personally wouldn't do this. For me it seems like something is always getting sacrificed when you add something

Yeah. IME, in general, the more you add to a circuit, the more it subtracts from the sound somehow.

Had it happen with guitars, amps and pedals.

Basically whatever you add as extra components and wires better be worth it like a bypass cap.

Back