Ceriatone models

So most of the differences across the various older Marshalls are akin to a few different caps/etc as far as I know...

JTM50 vs SLP is basically just a different rectifier, so a single part to be switched. Though I guess that's not as tiny as say a cap.

1987 vs 2204 is just a gain stage up front to be bypasses or not.

SLP vs SLB is like a few caps and a couple resistors difference, though might be harder to do without a bunch of relays (otherwise you'd need like 5 switches).

I personally wouldn't do this. For me it seems like something is always getting sacrificed when you add something
Yeah. IME, in general, the more you add to a circuit, the more it subtracts from the sound somehow.

Had it happen with guitars, amps and pedals.

Basically whatever you add as extra components and wires better be worth it like a bypass cap.
That is why i am a single channel guy. Let the builder put the voicing in the gain and i will just tweak the eq to match my speakers. @MGL AmpWorks nails this.

So most of the differences across the various older Marshalls are akin to a few different caps/etc as far as I know...

JTM50 vs SLP is basically just a different rectifier, so a single part to be switched. Though I guess that's not as tiny as say a cap.

1987 vs 2204 is just a gain stage up front to be bypasses or not.

SLP vs SLB is like a few caps and a couple resistors difference, though might be harder to do without a bunch of relays (otherwise you'd need like 5 switches).
Yeah. I think the new 3rd power amp has a lot of switches to go accross from jtm to jcm and plexi. The more i saw the list of features, the more i was just disinterested. More connections, more potential problems.

But i dont really need 5 million different sounds. I have a volume knob on the guitar to go clean and a delay if i want another sound. I want my high gain sound to be spot on. THAT is what is important

Haha! Kind words for my crappy videos. :LOL: I only have experience with the Yeti and Molecular. Both 50 watters and I had them both at the same time. They are similar. If I were to get a Ceriatone again I would most likely get another 50 watt Molecular. I like the single gain knob. You can actually put the gain on max (no diodes engaged) and it doesn't get muddy. It doesn't have a ton of gain on its own and without the diodes, but plenty for me. I will turn on a boost pedal here and there, but most of the time it's off. I rarely turn on the diodes. It's super fun and sounds killer though. Yeah, the Molecular would be my choice.
your riffing is killer dude! So you vote for the Ceriatone Molecular amp? Need to check those out. But my heart is set on a real Plexi one day.

Yeah. I think the new 3rd power amp has a lot of switches to go accross from jtm to jcm and plexi. The more i saw the list of features, the more i was just disinterested. More connections, more potential problems.

But i dont really need 5 million different sounds. I have a volume knob on the guitar to go clean and a delay if i want another sound. I want my high gain sound to be spot on. THAT is what is important
Yeah I know what you mean, my main amp (Monomyth Skeleton Key) is a single channel that I basically leave set to what I like and never touch it since it's MY sound.

The Ceriatone I'm interested in is basically just something to mess around with and sound like bands I love. Don't have the space for 2-3 heads just to use like 15% of my playing time, and for well under $2k it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

Yeah I know what you mean, my main amp (Monomyth Skeleton Key) is a single channel that I basically leave set to what I like and never touch it since it's MY sound.

The Ceriatone I'm interested in is basically just something to mess around with and sound like bands I love. Don't have the space for 2-3 heads just to use like 15% of my playing time, and for well under $2k it's a compromise I'm willing to make.
I almost got a ceriatone. The guy nik seems like a great guy and is really helpful. I just couldnt decide on a model. But he isnt gouging on prices. There is absolutely no reason not to try one

I almost got a ceriatone. The guy nik seems like a great guy and is really helpful. I just couldnt decide on a model. But he isnt gouging on prices. There is absolutely no reason not to try one
Nik has always been awesome to me. I like doing business with him.

The Molecular is probably the best overall choice of the HRP line.
It has the highest plate voltage (the Gargoyle maybe slightly edges it out here), the negative feedback dial aka Girth, the clipping diodes which can get you into EVH or modern hi-gain territory easily and the Feel switch at the back which makes a big difference. Heck, it's the only amp of the bunch that has the buffered loop as a standard offering.
I have the Chupacabra 50, King Kong 100W and Molecular 50W and the Molecular is the one I keep coming back to.
Takes a boost really well too.

Back