EVH Wolfgang humbuckers in Charvel san dimas

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteShadow
  • Start date Start date
WhiteShadow
WhiteShadow
After buying my hx stomp I noticed that my charvel is more ice picky and fights alot more with leads than my wolfgang special on the same preset. The wolfie sustains for days. Makes shredding easy. Smooth, responsive, basically plays the notes for you.

I wondered if you guys think it might be because of the wolfgang pickups in the evh guitar? Or do you think its just the sum total of the whole guitar making it sound/play so smooth and buttery?

I just wondered if I swapped the jb in the charvel out for one of those wolfie pickups, would it respond the same? I believe the wolfie is basswood while the charvel is alder. Both maple necks.

What's in the Charvel now?

I'm a big fan of the Wolfgang pickup. I get from my Special the same thing you do: Crazy sustain and responsiveness yet smooth and warm.

imo: sum total of the whole guitar making it sound/play so smooth and buttery

What's in the Charvel now?

I'm a big fan of the Wolfgang pickup. I get from my Special the same thing you do: Crazy sustain and responsiveness yet smooth and warm.
Yes exactly! Delightful to play bc it just delivers. You don’t have to strain or pluck every note with laser accuracy. Plus just great sounding.

But I just wondered if the charvel would sound/play similarly with the wolfie? They’re too expensive just to try out. That’s why I wanted opinions

So, if I remember right the very first EVH striped series in 2014 were Alder? I had a very early bumblebee that sounded killer with the Wolf pickup. It was a little loose in the lows but not terrible. Very much a 'sounds like it's exploding' type sound to me.

So, if I remember right the very first EVH striped series in 2014 were Alder? I had a very early bumblebee that sounded killer with the Wolf pickup. It was a little loose in the lows but not terrible. Very much a 'sounds like it's exploding' type sound to me.
I’m pretty they’ve all been basswood, even the EVH ART series from the early 2000s. Those special edition 20k models have been ash I believe

Yes exactly! Delightful to play bc it just delivers. You don’t have to strain or pluck every note with laser accuracy. Plus just great sounding.

But I just wondered if the charvel would sound/play similarly with the wolfie? They’re too expensive just to try out. That’s why I wanted opinions
I think it would sound pretty much the same.

BTW, if you keep an eye on The Stratosphere on eBay you can score Wolfgang pickups pulled out of Wolfgang Standards and Specials for $80.

I've had them in a couple of alder-bodied guitars. They have quite a bit of treble to them and I wasn't fond of it. They sounded different in the basswood guitars, and I actually preferred the stock pickups in the basswood than the aftermarket USA ones. They were warmer.

Need more detail and the entire setup (as well as pickup distances from the bridge, etc) , but a quick fix could be to use a smaller pot in the guitar that sounds ice picky. For example, it could be using a 500k pot (that could have drifted) so you could try and find a 350k-450k pot to try out. You could do this with resistors as well, but then the slope of the audio pot would change a bit.

Before you wonder where you could find a 350k pot, you can buy 250k pots and scrape the very sides and edges of the carbon track with a razor to get it to 350. Just don’t scrape the wiper track. Years ago I bought a ton of 500k pots and quite a few were 400k.

Back