Avatar, Fane, and WGS speakers - An ongoing thread with summarized results

• Thread starter Thread starter GuitarGuy08
  • Start date Start date
GuitarGuy08
GuitarGuy08
OP: I ordered some Avatar AV-60 speakers after seeing another post on here about how kick-ass they were. I have some coming in to try in my horizontal and vertical 2x12 cabs.

I thought about mixing it up, but after hearing each one they had to offer, these seemed to be right on the money for my ear. Very excited to hear these in person. I have high hopes...I hope they aren't dashed! Dave at Avatar was really nice to wrok with and they really do give you a great deal for a made in USA speaker. I listened to the sound demos of Hellatone 60s vs the AV60s and it seems that the AV60 does indeed match it's description upon numerous comparisons: "Similar tone to a Celestion Vintage 30, with great mid and upper mid presence to cut through the mix but without the upper mid spike." Time will tell.... and the gear section, as more WGS speakers pop up for sale! Lol

***CLOSED BACK SUMMARIES AND AMP SETUP LISTED BELOW - OPEN BACK SUMMARIES ON Pg.3***
Amp Setup:

All current testing performed on a Rivera Clubster Royale Top 25w 6V6 Amp head. Vintage/NOS RCA Blackplate 12ax7 tubes for inputs. NOS JAN/Vintage RCA 6V6 x 2 in the output section.

The amp basically has 4 channels:

1. Clean 1 - Channel that is akin to a Fender Clean channel but tweaked/modded for less thin, and more body. What you wish a Fender clean channel was, with all the huge headroom.

2. Clean 2 - Fender tweed but tweaked in the ways you'd want, again. More mids than blackface, etc.

3. Crunch - This is like a low gain Marshall. I like to dime the gain all the way on this channel. Doesn't muddy up and takes pedals well. Can really sing.

4. Crunch (Boost engaged) - The Boost changes the channel entirely. This is what I run for all fo my heavier stuff and even my crunch, as you can go from absolutely roaring to rolled back clean and hari. Wild how much gain is on tap here while still remaining clear.

Guitar is going straight to the amp. Nothing in the loop. Onboard reverb disengaged for testing and enagged for sound field/deph testing with effects.

The TL DR of this thread so far. This is an ongoing thread and I will update my findings as they come. I hope to get a mic setup in the future to start doing speaker shootouts in the future. Until then, the thread lives on!

Speaker Summaries:

2x12 closed back Solid Wood Panama Cabinet stood up vertically.

Invader 50 x Invader 50:

This combination is mid city! There is a very extended upper-high-mid or presence to these. The sound is extremely mid oriented, and may leave you wanting just a bit for bass when used on their own. The sound adds almost a layer on top with the high-mid as mentioned. Kind of like there is a pedal that is always on in a way. The drive channel can get extra 'growly' when using these. Extremely woody and organic in every sense. Effects really come out due to the extended top end that is there and mid range grunt. Not an even sound spectrum. Definitely a setup for if you WANT the speaker to really have an affect on the sound. Your amp WILL sound a certain way when you run these that will be hard to replicate elsewhere. Whether you like that or not is up to you.

AV60 x AV60:

I have grown to enjoy the overall sound of Greenback style speakers but gave these a shot and was very pleasantly surprised. . Very similar to tweaking and (in my opinion) perfecting the Vintage 30. I listened to V30s back to back in clips against these and they sound like they are smoother in the high mid section with more bass and body to the overall tone. If you like V30s at all, you'd do well by getting some of these to throw into the mix. I find this speaker is really good when paired with my Marshall. The top end can get that sizzle going on, just like a Vintage 30, but it is more controllable, musical, and usable. Very mid focused overall with a feeling like your foot is on the 'gas pedal' so to speak when you are playing. Extremely tight. A little thin alone for clean sounds but excels at pushed cleans/hair, crunch, and high gain. I prefer these mixed with a GB style speaker overall.

Invader 50 x AV60:

I thought this would turn out better but... I was wrong. These did not pair together well. Too many overlapping mids and high frequencies that are slightly shifted to a different spectrum. May work better in a larger configuration but to much sizzle and high end snap here, not enough bass. Not into this combination at all.

AV75 x AV75 **Excel in an open back cabinet and Fender style amp. Works well in general for Marshall styles amps. Better for Marshall in a Closed back scenario as this.

Tons of top and bottom with a clear mid range as well. Not scooped. As described on the site, basically. The top end is very extended, and you will need to notch down on the treble. That being said, very clear, musical speakers. They present a very dynamic palette but i can see this having a certain sound that may not work well with specific setups/amps. The extended top end on the Blackface can be ear cutting if you want it to be, in a hurry. At the same time, it does not muffle when you roll down the treble, it just sweetens, which is what you want! These speakers are good at mimicing many sounds, in that they present a pretty full sound spectrum and they are very responsive to the tone controls, in the way you would desire. I can see these cutting through in a live mix or recording, very clear, very extended top and bottom. Sounds good with drive and on cleans. A powerful sound. Again, I think these are more amp dependent than most in this setup, as I could see someone getting a thin/scratchy top end very easily with a closed back. Overall, I would not recommend these for a closed back scenario. The extension of the extra bass and top from the closed back in just overwhelming in most cases and will need to be dialed back.

OPEN BACK SNEAK REVIEW: These speakers seem to come to life in an open back situation. You can almost feel them breathing when you use them. A very intense exprreince in a good way. Low lows and soaring highs. Midrange is like that middle ground between to keep you stable. Did not expect this goodness to come about at all. Open back transformed these. They needed that extra mid range provided, which allowed the highs and bass to sweeten up and fill out. Lots of 3D sound here.

Fane M65 x AV75:

The Fane M65 is dang near a 'perfect' speaker to my ear. I thought previously I heard a slight rolled off/nasal thing, but it must have just been something off that day, as the speaker truly is remarkable. That being said, this is about how it mixes with others! The 65 x 75 variant did not compliment one another in this closed back setup. It seems like each one brought out the worse/lesser qualities of the other, as opposed to melding together. Odd, because on paper this would have been thought to be the perfect combination. One has a lot of top and pbottom and the other is more mid focused...nope. Don't work for me here. Maybe can get by with cleans but gain does something undesirable and adds a scratch that is not there when using either speaker on their own. Weird.

AV75 x AV60

Too much top end bite and thinness. The upper mid addition of the AV60 and mids kind of stack on fine enough but there is just too much top end for what I am seeking. Not the worst setup in the world, definitely will make you cut through, but not what I am seeking. One of those that has you 'rolling knobs' as it were. Maybe this could do better with an open back, we will see.

*Fane M65 x AV60* - My Top Choice for closed back currently.

In a closed back configuration, these sound absolutely wonderful. The top end is extended and present/clear, without being overbearing. There is a mid-forward nature to the tone, meaning that the notes focus on the body/mid of the string/note when you are playing as opposed to the bass and treble of it. The notes do not 'clack' and have that hollow or scooped nature to them at all. This gives each note a certain thickness along with clarity. The mids are not muddled in this configuration. The two seem to have very, very complimentary frequencies, that meld together in the way you would want. There is a slight Speaker efficiency difference of less than 1 dB in the favor of the AV60 over the M65. This seems to be a 'catch all' pairing and can be played with multiple instruments while achieving a tightness and fatness and sizzle without any being too much. The AV60s help add that feeling of 'drive' behind the amp. This setup really has you feeling like you are ready to play. I don't know how else to put it. When you turn it on and start to dial it in, you just feel like the amp is saying "Come on, let's go!" the entire time. The AV60s add that upper mid thing that lends it this feeling. I am not sure I can think of an amp that would NOT pair well with this combination. If you are someone who is looking to mix and match speakers to try to achieve a broader, more versatile spectrum, this combination seems to be the ticket. I tried this combination is multiple vertical closed back cabs and it won every time. It seems to bring out the qualities that are beloved of both Greenbacks and Vintage 30s. Some might say these are ingredients for that 'perfect combination.' I could see the rhythm and blues/clean player enjoying this setup equally as well as a rock/metal player.

I would LOVE to try a pair of Fane M65s together but I only own one and past tapped out on cash. This is really about mixing speakers together in a cab anyway, but still!

PLEASE READ:

***I HAVE SOME OPEN BACK REVIEWS AND ONES WHERE A MARSHALL HEAD WAS USED ON PG 3 OF THIS THREAD.***

Last edited:
As an update to this - I have been able to install one of these AV60s into my 2x12, which has an invader 50 for the other side. I have to modify the cab to fit the other AV60 in, and will be doing so. This is a damn good sounding speaker. I have nothing to complain about on that side. I feel the cabinet will sound better with 2 of them, and I'll put this invader in something else for an amp that needs that 'smoother' sound the invader provides. The AV60 has extended highs that are clear and warm, and a punchy, tight, low end with a meaty, vocal mid. Everything I kinda want for this setup. Works well with the Rivera. Really helping it breathe compared to the WGS pair I had in there before. Also, none of that high-mid spike!! If they sound this good new, can't wait til they break in. I'm sold. I plan on loading these into a vertical 2x12 and a horizontal 2x12. Will post updates.

Our initial testing and findings were not at all what I expected! I grabbed 4 of the AV60s because they sound so absolutely wonderful that two mixed in together would be perfect.

I have found that the mix of an AV60 and Invader 50 works out extremely well. The full range of sound seems to be present, with a really thumpy, solid bass, present and vocal mids, and extended highs.

I think the Invader has a top end that is just too sweet/not present, and the AV60 fixes that. The 2 AV mixed together does not have the same low mid thump that I am used to and something just drops from the sound it it isn't there.

Silverback and I were both shocked at the results. The Jet City vertical is brighter than the Panama, even if it is vertically oriented.

Not that the 2 AV60s sound bad or anything like that, but definitely did not have the same dimension as when mixed with the Invader.

Odd. Now I am kind of wishing I had grabbed an HT50 to try to pair with one but I am past out of cash for that.

Guess I'll keep the Invaders mixed with the AV60s. Not sure the sound could even be better, just chasing the dragon beyond this or even up to it.

Anyway, there's my 'short' analysis/description.

Both cabs ended up with a mix of each in them. 2 extra AV60s now and since the power was out before I could try, I may be within the return period but uncertain. Oh well! It will all work out :)

Last edited:
The two AV60 speakers were not a bad sound but the addition of that Invader 50 really brought out the potential of that Jet City cab. Definitely had a full bodied sound whether you played clean or dirty. Very difficult to decide if I preferred the Panama or the Jet City.

The two AV60 speakers were not a bad sound but the addition of that Invader 50 really brought out the potential of that Jet City cab. Definitely had a full bodied sound whether you played clean or dirty. Very difficult to decide if I preferred the Panama or the Jet City.
Definitely tough. They each have their own sound. I'd say the Panama has less mids present within the cabinet or something. They are similar enough size, I would not have expected that difference in sound but, we heard what we heard. Makes me wonder what 2 av60s would do in the Panama. We shall see soon enough!!

Definitely tough. They each have their own sound. I'd say the Panama has less mids present within the cabinet or something. They are similar enough size, I would not have expected that difference in sound but, we heard what we heard. Makes me wonder what 2 av60s would do in the Panama. We shall see soon enough!!
We have the technology to make that AV60 fit. LOL!!!

This is just going to be an ongoing thread - so fair warning!

I put two AV60s in the Jet City cabinet last night for testing. The speakers really do sound nigh on perfect. I think they are well suited for volume going through them and handle bass exceptionally well and everything tmis very clear but warm. That being said, I wish they had just a little bit more oomph in the lower register. In the room, the extra thump from the low/low mid register is very pleasant.

I also mixed in a Vet 30 to see how it was. Not bad at all! A little bit more thump and everything sounds pretty enjoyable. Nothing really to complain about.

When I A/B the cabinet with the Vet vs the one with the Invader, they are different and I enjoy something about them both. Overall, in the room, the invader mix has more dimension in some way but damn....

Different flavors. One has more low end low mid thump and mid grind and the other is thumpy but tight with a more mid and upper mid focus but sweet. Tough. Tough. Tough.

I'd like to eventually check out a couple of other speakers from Avatar to mix with the AV60s.

I'm thinking an AV30 and/or an HT50 would sound epic with an AV60.

Gotta sell some gear before I can get any more.

Popped the 2 AV60s back in the Jet City and messed with settings. Way more low end thump than normal v30s and very controlled. Absolutely gorgeous sounding speakers. In a 4x12, with a Marshall.... yeah these would be killer. Definitely better than my first impression of the bass end response. Again, pretty fat and controlled. That being said, I think I my ears have grown accustom to the breadth of sound 2 different speakers can offer. When I swap between the cabinets, I actually notice that the AV60s retain a fatter sound, especially when ran at higher wattages and volumes. There is just something missing when I A/B the two, and it isn't quite bass...it's....something.... I am guessing it MUST be the 2 different speakers mixed together as opposed to the one speaker in a pair. Definitely gotta get these guitars moved to perform further testing! lol

Update!

I was able to perform.further testing in the same exact cabinet and environment for a lengthy period of time.

The AV60 speaker is something else!! The bass in these is more than I thought. The top end has a nice shimmer and sparkle. The two AV60s together in a closed back cab had a lot of spank with my strat, more than what I am used to for sure. I still prefer the cabinet mixed with the Invader 50 overall but I am glad I picked up some of these.

And the thread goes on!!

Back with another update:

I have done a lot of listening. A lot. I tried to really think about what exactly I was looking to add to my 2x12 in place of the Invader. Now that the AV60 has cleared up the highs, I can hear the rasp/scratch of the Invaders. The sound is not bad by any means, but it is throwing me a bit when I hit it with gain. I was looking for a Greenback style speaker with a tight bass that holds up with volume, a vocal midrange and rounded highs.

So many shootouts and demos and clips, etc.

You never really know until you have it in person but.....

I ordered another speaker as a gift for myself for passing my recent Certification exam.

Fane M65. Yes, I read the previous posts on RT and compared the A series speakers that the other person preferred, and every other offering. I totally get why some people prefer to have some of the 'woody' sound removed from a greenback, which the A25 does beautifully - if I were buying solely for a Marshall, I probably would have went with the A25 - HOWEVER - the Rivera seems to really open up with a GB style speaker in the mix. Any time I have removed it, the amp just sounds like some dimension is missing.

I am really, really hoping the Fane M65 gives me what I am seeking, as it definitely seems that way in the demos.

From all of the descriptions I have also read, it seems to be what I am wanting to add to this mix. FIngers crossed!!!

A night of aggravation and frustration. Had a rough week all week. An especially long day. The speaker finally makes it at the end of the day. Get the kids all settled. Dismount the old speaker. Go to the mount the new and...... They forgot to send the speaker gasket seal. Cant mount it. Joy. Waiting days and days to get anything shipped before I can install it. Pretty much messed over my whole weekend. Great.

Avatar gave me a free shirt, which I really like the look and feel of. I like Dave and and Avatar speakers, not a knock on them, just kind of ruined my entire evening and weekend.

Wow, Dave got back to me super fast. Again, these guys are great!

For awareness, if you order any Fane, Celestion, or Eminence speakers, they do not come with the gaskets for front loaded cabs. The Avatar branded ones made in USA by Misco are the ones that come with them. He is going to mail me some anyway.

Couldn't ask for a better company to deal with. Seriously, it's worth buying speakers just for the customer service experience alone.

I have said this before but my avatar kills. Can’t believe I went all these years without trying one.

I have two cabs…my avatar and a Marshall mode 4. The avatar shits all over the Marshall. But I am getting more used to the Marshall. It was a love hate relationship with it for awhile.

I have two cabs…my avatar and a Marshall mode 4. The avatar shits all over the Marshall. But I am getting more used to the Marshall. It was a love hate relationship with it for awhile.
I had a Mode Four cab as well that I sold some time ago. Chasing a tone. Didn't realize the amp itself was the issue. Spent too much time and money trying cabinets and speakers for that head. Tinny little trash amp. HK Grandmeister 40. I think the MF sounded decent. Kinda wish I still had it to rock with my Rivera but the guy who got it was so damn stoked so I'm happy.

I was able to have a buddy give me a gasket from his new set and will replace it when my other one arrives. His speakers won't go in for another week or so. @Silverback7 saving my ass yet again.

So, initial thoughts are... This setup sounds different. AV60+M65.

I like it. It doesn't have quite as much high end extension as the Invader 50 but it also isn't as brittle in the high end either. Very full sounding, even in low power mode. Super tight. Everything is present and balanced. I am not used to the snarl added by the two paired together. I like it but again, very different.

I need to see if effects still have that 3D landscape. I know Avatar says they do free break ins on these I think but I think they will open up with more time/sound moving through. A bit stiff. I have to remember that I have cranked it through the invader set for years at this point. I am used to that sound.

These are not disappointing at all. Have not had a lot of time or high volume, but the meat of the guitar seems to stay through, no matter how much gain is there! I wonder how the invade might pair with the Fane. Too much greenback flavor? Maybe? Will the invader have too much clack?

With the Invader in, I run presence at 0 on clean channel but with M65 I can have it up to 5 and it adds a nice twinkle for lack of a better word.

Time will tell. There is a lot of testing and swapping to do. Keeping the thread alive!!!

Back