Gig guitar ideas

romanianreaper

I went looking at guitars a few months ago with the idea of getting a backup guitar for gigs. It was going to be light, easy to replace pickups, and on the cheaper side.

Like a typical dumbass guitarist, I spent twice as expected, the pickups are hard to replace and it is a boat anchor. I really love the guitar, a 2021 Gibson Les Paul Classic, but isn't what I planned.

I used a much lighter Les Paul Classic for gigs and thinking of getting an Ltd or another Gibson or Edwards, etc. Anything stand out in your minds? I was looking at the EC-401 guitars. I had one back in the day and remembered it kicked ass.

Yes my man I remember your post and everyone talked you into playing authenitc. I recommended an Edwards, I still do. Scottosan recently picked up the same E-LP I have. Great player and I have less than a grand into the guitar, the case, and a couple different pickup swaps.

Greco, Edwards, lots of quality MiJ LP clones out there for you to peruse. I personally feel the Greco is a little more 'true LP clone' vs the Edwards being a cool single cut, if that makes any sense. But If you grab a vintage Greco from 77-87 you will get a quality guitar. Edwards are cool too; some are MiC these days and it can be confusing as to which model yrs are vs MiJ. Again, if that matters.
The History brand I grabbed a yr ago is also great; it's made by Fugijen for a specific retailer in Japan to be sold only by them. 600 shipped, I got it in 4 days too. From Tokyo.

If you're open to a more modern take, an Eclipse, (LTD, second hand ESP standard etc), would be my pick for a gigging guitar that is reliable, lighter and has decent cut through. They're no different to any other LP style guitar for changing the pickups, but they come with different EMGs and Duncans etc depending on the model. My '78 Navigator LPS100 is a tone machine and plays like butter, but it's too heavy for more than a ~45 minute set.

Back