Went to my local GC today….

LP Freak

For the first time in a while. The last time I was there the store was half empty. This time it seemed like literally half the store was used merchandise. Maybe all the wanna be guitar players during Covid gave it up

More people probably needing money at the moment. I also generally see better used gear at GC during the summer as gigs/touring pick up.

There are at least two in my area. One is decently stocked with newer gear and the other is straight up garbage. Like a bad Music Go Round full of keyboards and PA equipment.

I do think most of the covid guitarists gave it up. That's normal and to be expected. Plus there is a lot of shitty gear worth pawning off onto TGP members and Guitar Kenter. Seems like some of the deals are getting a little better price wise.

I was in a GC last week looking for a trem arm, their used room was filled to the brim and I would say at least 35% of the guitars were PRS SE's. If you are a SE fan, there's probably going to be some screaming deals coming around

I have never understood the music mega store business model.

Too much overhead, not enough profit.
It's about asserting corporate control over every aspect of society. No different than the greatly diminished number of family farms thanks to corporate buyouts. CONTROL.

Reactions: Geo
Maybe we can back to the days when buying used was actually economical
There is still cheap, good gear out there you just gotta dig around for the right stuff and it has to be stuff that isn't currently popular otherwise there is someone there to exploit that popularity. I haven't bought a 100 percent brand new guitar since around '99 because buying brand new is a waste of damn money though I sure have had a good few like-new guitars since then.

For the first time in a while. The last time I was there the store was half empty. This time it seemed like literally half the store was used merchandise. Maybe all the wanna be guitar players during Covid gave it up
Where's your local store?

Went to GC today and they had a bunch of great shit, used and new. Really unhappy I’m on a buying freeze right now (unless I can sell something of equal value) Went to just to take it in, maybe demo a Boss TAE, if they had one and noodle a little, but there was some guitars and amps where I left with quite the want. Didn’t end up being that relaxing after all…😂

I have never understood the music mega store business model.

Too much overhead, not enough profit.

Yup. The way I see it, GC went head to head with Mars Music back in the day. Mars contributed to helping close out all the local mom and pop stores by selling gear by volume at barely over dealer cost prices. GC was forced to match.

When the crap hit the fan with Mars, GC reigned king of the hill and set prices at higher margins. Then corporate mismanagement almost bankrupted them and by that time the guitar interest was at a lull. Perfect storm. GC and Fender are probably barely hanging on at this point.

Now, nobody can afford inflated mortgages at 8+% interest, so nice things gotta go.

There is about to be a massive, massive buyers market to the likes we haven’t seen in years, if you can afford it and I wouldn’t be surprised to see GC fall.

Reactions: Geo
Yup. The way I see it, GC went head to head with Mars Music back in the day. Mars contributed to helping close out all the local mom and pop stores by selling gear by volume at barely over dealer cost prices. GC was forced to match.

When the crap hit the fan with Mars, GC reigned king of the hill and set prices at higher margins. Then corporate mismanagement almost bankrupted them and by that time the guitar interest was at a lull. Perfect storm. GC and Fender are probably barely hanging on at this point.

Now, nobody can afford inflated mortgages at 8+% interest, so nice things gotta go.

There is about to be a massive, massive buyers market to the likes we haven’t seen in years, if you can afford it and I wouldn’t be surprised to see GC fall.
It's time for the smaller mom and pop shops to flourish again.

Back