Pickup repair….

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
Have a Duncan distortion that had the lead cut. Actually have the lead still…can I just resolder together? Any issues with doing that? This pickup is priceless to me and want to use it if possible.

Any pictures? If it's just that the lead was cut shorter than yeah super easy fix, just solder the two parts together and heatshrink the joint. If you mean that it was cut at the pickup itself, I think it still would be fixable in most cases but I don't know if there are fiddly details because of the thin pickup wire in the joint.

As in extending the wires because they're too short? I've done that no problem before. Don't even usually need to disassemble the pickup. Can simply solder wires to each individual one extending it, making sure to add heat shrink so nothing shorts out.

If you want it to be ultra clean, you'll need to start disassembling it and soldering up which can be a pain. Recommend buying some pickup tape to rewrap it in that case, as well as creating a way to re-pot it.

Mailman sent me a some assorted stuff years ago and it was in a box in the closet. Wife dug it out and there’s a Duncan distortion that the lead was cut off about two inches from the pickup. The rest of the wire is still there. Just wasn’t sure if I could just resolder or splice it back together or not.

Mailman sent me a some assorted stuff years ago and it was in a box in the closet. Wife dug it out and there’s a Duncan distortion that the lead was cut off about two inches from the pickup. The rest of the wire is still there. Just wasn’t sure if I could just resolder or splice it back together or not.
I see what you mean by priceless... Shit. Extend the leads and rock out with that thing like he would want. Duncan Distortion is actually one of my favorites, so it'll sound awesome in anything you put it in.

Here’s a picture….
IMG_2413.jpeg

Ah yeah, soldering on longer leads should be fine, maybe just a minor hassle since there isn't a lot to work with, I'm guessing it's coaxial cable, etc.

You can splice it. Depending on what’s it’s going in, it may be a little trick because the leads will be fatter getting it through the hole :)

Last edited:
Back