Eventide H9 MAX; Is it worth it?

PurityS.L.G

I’ve been eyeballing one of these or perhaps just a Modfactor which is half the price used. Any users here who have one think it’s worth it? Seems cool and all but also seems pretty limited and not as intuitive as a Line 6 fx unit. What do you fine gents think?

I’ve been eyeballing one of these or perhaps just a Modfactor which is half the price used. Any users here who have one think it’s worth it? Seems cool and all but also seems pretty limited and not as intuitive as a Line 6 fx unit. What do you fine gents think?
The effects quality blows away the Line 6. It is limited to one algorithm per patch though. So if you use more than one effect in a single patch it is limited. Although, some of the algorithms have multi effects within the patch ie… delay, mod etc.

Ever since the H90 came out, the H9 is dirt cheap. No brainer. Killer pedal. I have both the H90 and H9. I’d sell the H9 since the H90 covers it but at what they go for these days, it’s not worth selling.
So the H90 can do multiple algorithms correct? I may end up going this route instead

For a while it was the only effect I had in the loop of my amp. I gigged that way for a couple years, and it worked great. Even though you can only run one algorithm at a time, some of the algorithms contain dual effects. Still a bit of a limitation though, but I think they are great devices.

I had the H90. I've had the QC, Kemper, hx stomp, and I'm now using an FM3. The Eventide is so far above all of them. The only problems I had with the H90 was it's not an easy device to operate and at the time I had one their wasn't a mobile app.

It was just overkill for me. I never use anything except a little bit of delay and reverb for leads. If money was no object, I would add one to the loop of the FM3.

The H9 has a mobile app(not sure if the h90 version is out yet). So I would go for that for that purpose alone. Also don't let the "one algorithm " thing throw you off. You can really compare an algorithm as a one to one representation of an effect.

Please forgive my ignorance. I have been GAS'ing for one of these, but really only because I need some kind of harmonizer for a few songs. For example, if I wanted to play the guitar solo for Owner of a Lonely Heart, could I just dial in the interval with an H9 and would it then add it over what I'm playing on my standard 440 tuning?

Please forgive my ignorance. I have been GAS'ing for one of these, but really only because I need some kind of harmonizer for a few songs. For example, if I wanted to play the guitar solo for Owner of a Lonely Heart, could I just dial in the interval with an H9 and would it then add it over what I'm playing on my standard 440 tuning?
Yes. However, it might be a little more involved than you're thinking. So I think it's like a 5th and maybe an octave in that solo? Don't quote me on that... But you'd basically want something like Diatonic pitch shifter algo on the H9, then dial in the correct parameters until it sounds like you want it. Page 16: https://downloads.eventide.com/audio/Product+Manuals/H9AlgorithmGuide+V12.pdf

The H9 is a bit of a bitch to program on the unit itself. You'll probably want the mobile app to program it. H9s are amazing value right now thanks to the H90, but people need to realize what they're getting into. It's not quite as simple as a lot of units today like an HX Stomp, and there are some gotchas like the Core vs Standard vs Max. See: https://www.eventideaudio.com/one-h9-to-rule-them-all/

Algos are top notch even to this day, but it'll require some manual reading and some fiddling if you've never used one before. Expect to put in a bit of work learning the unit and its quirks if you want to go down the H9 route. The H90 has improved everything about the H9 in every single way which is why so many are ditching their H9s. And on top of that, it gets free updates with new algos unlike the H9.

To answer the OP's post, I'll say this - I got my H90 used but basically brand new in box for under $700 locally. H9 Maxs are selling for, what, around $350ish right now? The H90 is way more versatile than even two H9s thanks to its built-in loop and routing capabilities, massively more intuitive to program on the unit, continues to get updates even in 2024, and it has a way better editor you can use on a laptop if you want to go that route. So I guess my answer is, "it depends."

Last edited:
Yes. However, it might be a little more involved than you're thinking. So I think it's like a 5th and maybe an octave in that solo? Don't quote me on that... But you'd basically want something like Diatonic pitch shifter algo on the H9, then dial in the correct parameters until it sounds like you want it. Page 16: https://downloads.eventide.com/audio/Product+Manuals/H9AlgorithmGuide+V12.pdf

The H9 is a bit of a bitch to program on the unit itself. You'll probably want the mobile app to program it. H9s are amazing value right now thanks to the H90, but people need to realize what they're getting into. It's not quite as simple as a lot of units today like an HX Stomp, and there are some gotchas like the Core vs Standard vs Max. See: https://www.eventideaudio.com/one-h9-to-rule-them-all/

Algos are top notch even to this day, but it'll require some manual reading and some fiddling if you've never used one before. Expect to put in a bit of work learning the unit and its quirks if you want to go down the H9 route. The H90 has improved everything about the H9 in every single way which is why so many are ditching their H9s. And on top of that, it gets free updates with new algos unlike the H9.

To answer the OP's post, I'll say this - I got my H90 used but basically brand new in box for under $700 locally. H9 Maxs are selling for, what, around $350ish right now? The H90 is way more versatile than even two H9s thanks to its built-in loop and routing capabilities, massively more intuitive to program on the unit, continues to get updates even in 2024, and it has a way better editor you can use on a laptop if you want to go that route. So I guess my answer is, "it depends."
Yes. They are somewhat difficult to program BUT reading and watching the YT vids is very helpful. About 3-6 hours of time. And making or tweaking a few premade algorithms will really help. Then on the fly you will be able to change things much more quickly. Anyway. I have the H9 which I love and use all the time (simplicity) and phenomenal sounding. The H90 I use some as well but more into my fx 8 now so it will come home soon

The effects quality on the H9 and H90 is outstanding. I had the H9 on my board for years before I got the H90. I love that I can now run two effects at the same time. I'll eventually incorporate the H9 into my Kemper setup.

I will say I noticed a higher noise floor when using the H9 that didn’t exist with the H90. I think there’s better A/D converters in the latter.

Back