New cabs & speaker blends. IR time?

• Thread starter Thread starter ZEN Amps
  • Start date Start date
ZEN Amps
ZEN Amps
Picked up a bunch of new cabs recently so have taken the opportunity to try some new blend options. All are working great so thought I'd share for the truly tone obsessed amongst you.

Cab 1 is a circa 1972 checkerboard with a fairly close S/N number to our other 72 cab. I wonder if they were both shipped down under together in the 70's? Went with 2 x G12M25 75Hz blackbacks (1777 cones) and 2 x G12 65 Heritage in X-pattern. Really nice blend for Black in Black type tones - not dark but far less sizzle than H's or all M's.

Cab 2 is a 1978 black that had two original G12H30 55Hz blackbacks with (444 cones) up top. On the bottom are 2 x 1970 G12H greenbacks with recent 75Hz recones. Bright, punchy cab but having the bass cones up top fattens it nicely but still with plenty of cut.

Cab 3 (not pictured) is a 80's JCM800 cab that had 2 original T75's (1986). A pair of 2002 Vintage 30's ended up being a good match for those in X-pattern. This era V30 typically has a smoother upper-mid response which to my ear makes them more suitable for blending. The more aggressive ones can really dominate otherwise. Cab has a smoother, fatter Bogner Uberkab vibe now for rock and metal.

With all these cabs about, have been thinking about putting an IR pack together - any interest? There's a lot of good V30 and G12M impulse responses around, but I haven't really seen a pack with a great selection of 60's-90's stalwarts. I have captured most speakers already but that's only step one. Packaging them up, demos, website, shopping carts etc. aren't much fun. What say you?

new cabsb.jpg
Serials.jpg
new cabs internal.jpg

Sounds cool.

I suck at blending speakers and mics so I like to use good 'pre mixes' when using IRs.

Also like what Ownhammer do where it's not option paralysis.
For a modern tone, think they'll have something like 5 mix options that vary in brightness.

Sounds cool.

I suck at blending speakers and mics so I like to use good 'pre mixes' when using IRs.

Also like what Ownhammer do where it's not option paralysis.
For a modern tone, think they'll have something like 5 mix options that vary in brightness.
Fewer options for sure. 500 IRs of a single V30 is too much even for the most hardcore tone enthusiast!

I'd be interested.

Your channel's videos sound exceptional and I'm always shocked at how varied the cabs sound, but also by how much I like most of them despite how different they are.

I’d definitely be interested in some IRs. Off the wall stuff, and some redbacks, k-85s, maybe alnico creams.

Back