JSX Mods

prsplayer86

I've gotten a ragged out JSX that needs an overhaul. Looking at updating the irons to MMs and adding a Choke. Also, curious if anyone has some suggestions on other mods?

Cheers

I would look at amps like the peavey ultra plus 120, triple xxx for inspiration and pull the best from each channel of those amps. The JSX is just slightly different then those amps. I don’t think for what the amp would ever be worth it and for very little to be gained tonewise by putting MM iron in it. I would just get a good fresh set of tubes in it bias it up, play it and start thinking about what you would change if anything on each channel and go from there.

I agree with jason, I think the iron upgrade would be pretty negligible.

I would get really nice tubes, bias it up, and maybe see if there are some simple things you could do to improve the sound or ease of life upgrades.

Agreeing with everyone. I don't think the iron and choke will do all that much other than lighten your wallet. JSX is great as is. At most, throw a boost up front and maybe an EQ in the loop. Amp sounds great with EL34s, too.

I bought a used JSX off Guitar Center in late July,
and I threw some new Hi-Gain JJ's (Gain Score=11) in it for CH2 & 3,
and the amp totally thumps now.

I would look at amps like the peavey ultra plus 120, triple xxx for inspiration and pull the best from each channel of those amps. The JSX is just slightly different then those amps. I don’t think for what the amp would ever be worth it and for very little to be gained tonewise by putting MM iron in it. I would just get a good fresh set of tubes in it bias it up, play it and start thinking about what you would change if anything on each channel and go from there.
I have an ultra 60 combo I cut down to a head. Sounds great!👍

IMG_1822.jpeg

I have not finished it yet but after a retube it sounds great. Usually use the low gain input…just sounds better to me. Would love a jsx though.

I've gotten a ragged out JSX that needs an overhaul. Looking at updating the irons to MMs and adding a Choke. Also, curious if anyone has some suggestions on other mods?

Cheers

I would recommend you swap all the caps on the main board of the amp. Peavey put some crappy caps in there and they're all rated at 85 deg. I have a head and a combo and the combo was given to me brand new as a present. I've never pushed the amp and the filter caps need to be replaced because it hums.

The biggest bang for your buck will be replacing the preamp tubes with a combination of tubes.

Replace the active tone controls with a standard Marshall style tone stack. I think the JSX sounds fine but I didn't like the controls anywhere but straight up the middle.

Back