Gary Moore YEAH!!!!!

VonBonfire

My friend @JohnnyGtar was telling me I was posting this in the wrong thread so I figured I'd whoop this on y'all upstairs. Some smoking playing, smoking tone, smoking band.. It's a little driven for my usual tastes but his execution is amazing. I need to get into more Gary Moore blues material. He even smokes some Albert King and Albert Collins material in here. BB King in the house....I figured you rig talk dudes would at least appreciate his amp collection if not the blues itself. Look at that pile of awesome: Soldano, Twin Reverb,what looks like a Dual Showman head, AND a bluesbreaker?!?!

Anyways I was reading about how hard he was on himself about live performance mistakes. He was hard on the band and expected excellence from everyone involved. I connected with that because I have had many nights of rage dealing with piss poor players who just wanted a paycheck and hung my ass out to dry, my own piss poor performances on occasion, or the usual disrespect form some of the shit clubs. Anyways, glad I took the time to check this out, it's a great concert. Be blessed my rig talk brothers. I love you guys.

I love Gary Moore but have a hard time liking his blues stuff. Too much one foot in either world, where he should have either done a more power based, boogie/blues thing or tamed down the flamethrower for the more traditional arrangements and songs he’s doing.

When he does the ballad, Story of the Blues, he gets a lot more in the zone I think of what tone and attack really fit. The first few songs are like a coke’d up racehorse got let loose at a dog show 🙂

Last edited:
I love Gary Moore but have a hard time liking his blues stuff. Too much one foot in either world, where he should have either done a more power based, boogie/blues thing or tamed down the flamethrower for the more traditional arrangements and songs he’s doing.
I've generally tended to think the same for many years and so I didn't really give a lot of attention to it at the time but I waned to revisit it and just enjoy it for what it was. I mean, he's an irish dude who was a rock n roller so the idea that he is going to sound like a southern black blues guy is probably not a realistic expectation. If you listen to the vid he basically note for note can copy BB King licks, not as easy as it would seem.

I love Gary's playing in the early days. I honestly can't stand his "blooz" era...
Well it made him the most cash, strangely enough. I like his stuff with Thin Lizzy and I like the blues stuff. Is it my favorite blues? No, but he does a good job with it for the most part. Most rock dudes would fall flat on their faces if they had to do a night of blues, especially if they had to play and sing it too. So I got mad respect for the guy.

The passion, power, authority and conviction that very few can bring!! Gary was on fire, love it!!
Agreed. That is exactly what I noticed. He plays from the heart, the soul. Power and authority in his playing undoubtedly.

These are the type of toanz that make me wanna get a les paul.
Mike Bloomfield drove me to a Les Paul copy. It's my second favorite style of guitar now next to an ES355 ( or rather, my 355 copy lol)

Soon as I got it I understood why rock guys love these things. The low down chugging power is almost over the top for blues while an ES is a little cleaner, airier, and less bassy in the low end. Sustain for days up top on the LP, it's almost like cheating haha.

Always loved his playing.. actually "discovered" him after reading a Vivian Campbell interview where he mentioned Gary as an influence. "Influence"? Viv basically stole his entire lick library from Gary (though I think Viv is a helluva player)

Back then he was in his 80's rock phase - great playing, horrible image. I started researching - stumbled across Thin Lizzy, and the episode of Rock School (remember that?) with him in it.

He's a beast for sure... I agree that like some posted above - he needed to decide what style of blues he was playing. The racehorse at a dog show stuff appeals to me more than the slow blues stuff, but man he brought it no matter what he was playing!

I believe that the guitar he starts off with was his 58. He also had another 59 along with Greenie during this time period.

This era of Gary was a huge influence on my playing. He is simply a monster player with some tasty chops.

His pre-blues was what really got my attention. Victims Of The Future was a life-changing event for me as a guitar player. I was hooked. I still own every album, even his blues. The Power Of The Blues was his best "blues" album, it leaned more towards hard rock. His Zeppelin cover, (actually Willie Dixon), of "Can't Quit You Baby" is fire.. Absolutely rippin'.

This is from his heavy era. Damn, he killed it on this tune. The sound he got on this playing his Fiesta Red Strat, just WOW. Ballsy AF to cover a Jeff Beck tune, but Gary brought it bigtime. Jeff liked Gary's version of it. The solo is brain melting.

Yes Virginia, you can play metal with a Strat.

For me it was Emerald Isle that just hooked me in hard as a teenager. I had heard him with Lizzy but that concert video was epic to my 14 year old ears and eyes. I switched from drums to guitar around then. Sorry Peter Criss, I just saw Gary Moore…😂

Back