Finally trying Synergy

I really like the 6505 module. Being able to have to two crunch or two lead channels with independent EQ's is a nice touch. The 800 module that I have is on the block at the moment. I like it, but prefer the Plexi and I there are some other modules that I want to try. Shoot me a PM if interested in the 800. Or if you maybe have a module as trade bait!
Hey PM’ing u on the 800

Yeah, I have a similar setup. I do run the Axe through a mixer though. Everything goes through my mixer before it hits the GT1000FX. I think I mentioned this to you before, but you should try it and see if you notice a difference. I prefer it not going straight through.

I have been playing with the ToneX software lately. It is pretty cool. You can download the software for free, and you can download 20 models from online. I downloaded a few, and have been plugging it back through my rack and cabs. I thought the same thing, it could be cool to capture my amps with the OD pedals, and EQ, and capture that whole chain as 1 sound. I am undecided if it would be worth it to buy a pedal since I already have the FM3, but it could be a cool way to work since I use about 2% of the Fractal's capabilities. I could see just having a ToneX pedal, Chorus, Delay, and Reverb pedals, and a poweramp. Something like the Harley Benton Thunder 99.
I should try going without the axe fx to compare feel, what mixer do you use? Part of why I just run everything into the axe FX is for some reverb and delay, but also since it’s just easy to leave it plugged into the matrix and cabs, and just run stuff into it and not have to worry about impedence or levels.

I should try going without the axe fx to compare feel, what mixer do you use? Part of why I just run everything into the axe FX is for some reverb and delay, but also since it’s just easy to leave it plugged into the matrix and cabs, and just run stuff into it and not have to worry about impedence or levels.
I use a Samson SM-10.

I have the Axe II, G Major 2, and MPX-1 running off the Aux Sends, and then coming back into mixer channels. I also have the Syn-2, FM3, and output of my Fractal Loadbox (connected to various tube amps), coming in on mixer channels. I just kind of mix and match, and select whatever I feel like playing that day. The SM-10 then has outputs to my GT1000FX, and a Seymour Duncan KTG 2100 KT88 Poweramp.

I keep thinking about simplifying this down to something like a RJM Micro Mixer, because this is so huge, but it does have its benefits for being a brain of everything. I just leave everything connected, and turn on/off different mixer channels.

I use a Samson SM-10.

I have the Axe II, G Major 2, and MPX-1 running off the Aux Sends, and then coming back into mixer channels. I also have the Syn-2, FM3, and output of my Fractal Loadbox (connected to various tube amps), coming in on mixer channels. I just kind of mix and match, and select whatever I feel like playing that day. The SM-10 then has outputs to my GT1000FX, and a Seymour Duncan KTG 2100 KT88 Poweramp.

I keep thinking about simplifying this down to something like a RJM Micro Mixer, because this is so huge, but it does have its benefits for being a brain of everything. I just leave everything connected, and turn on/off different mixer channels.
I’ve been doing googling between things at work and that Samson had come up a few times in searches.

The Behringer RX1602 v2 looks like it would do what I want, and is more affordable - I would run line level from loaded amp into one channel, then use the monitor/FX control to send that signal out to the axe FX, set axe FX 100% wet, and run it’s output back into another channel on the rx1602, then main out to the power amp. At least I think that would work. Plus extra channels for if I want to run other stuff into the power amp I guess.

There’s also the behringer MX822 which looks like it might be more flexible but I’m having trouble wrapping my head around how it would work.

Also, that KTG 2100 looks like a beast of a power amp.

I’ve been doing googling between things at work and that Samson had come up a few times in searches.

The Behringer RX1602 v2 looks like it would do what I want, and is more affordable - I would run line level from loaded amp into one channel, then use the monitor/FX control to send that signal out to the axe FX, set axe FX 100% wet, and run it’s output back into another channel on the rx1602, then main out to the power amp. At least I think that would work. Plus extra channels for if I want to run other stuff into the power amp I guess.

There’s also the behringer MX822 which looks like it might be more flexible but I’m having trouble wrapping my head around how it would work.

Also, that KTG 2100 looks like a beast of a power amp.
The MX822 looks like is is all XLR, so that wont work.

The RX1602 would probably work. I didn't like that it had no XLR, and it only has 1 monitor send, where the SM-10 has 2. I wanted at least 2, and they are stereo sends, so if you send in mono you can support 4 sends. Before I bought the Samson I was using an old desktop Behringer mixer that had 2 Aux sends, so I was set up that way. If you dont care to have tabletop, you can get far more mixer for your money than going with only rackmount.

Yes, that is basically how it works. You run your amp/preamp into a channel, and then the outs into a poweramp. The Monitor send goes to the input of your effects unit, which then comes back in stereo on another channel. The Monitor send on the channel your amp is connected to basically becomes a signal send volume to the effects unit, and the volume on the channel your effects return is coming back to becomes your effects mix level.

The KTG 2100 is basically their copy of a VHT 2150 or 2/90/2. It has a negative feedback control instead of depth, but I modded it to have a depth control, so now it has volume, presence, depth, and negative feedback controls per channel. It is pretty massive. :)

The RX1602 would probably work. I didn't like that it had no XLR, and it only has 1 monitor send, where the SM-10 has 2. I wanted at least 2, and they are stereo sends, so if you send in mono you can support 4 sends. Before I bought the Samson I was using an old desktop Behringer mixer that had 2 Aux sends, so I was set up that way. If you dont care to have tabletop, you can get far more mixer for your money than going with only rackmount.

Yes, that is basically how it works. You run your amp/preamp into a channel, and then the outs into a poweramp. The Monitor send goes to the input of your effects unit, which then comes back in stereo on another channel. The Monitor send on the channel your amp is connected to basically becomes a signal send volume to the effects unit, and the volume on the channel your effects return is coming back to becomes your effects mix level.

The KTG 2100 is basically their copy of a VHT 2150 or 2/90/2. It has a negative feedback control instead of depth, but I modded it to have a depth control, so now it has volume, presence, depth, and negative feedback controls per channel. It is pretty massive. :)
Cool thanks for the reply. Yeah the xlr inputs on the mx822 aren’t a dealbreaker as I guess I could just make up some cables but I’d rather not.

Even though rack is cooler, I will take a look at some desktop mixers also.

Negative feedback is a great control to have. I have put selectable negative feedback switch on a couple amps I’ve modded, I usually just leave it on the lower nfb position though.

Ok you were right.

Over the weekend I got a behringer RX1602 v2 mixer b-stock for 20% off new price (which was already cheap) and wired it all up and made sure it was level matched to the previous setup.

Didn’t sound right at first until I realised the line out I’m using (an old thd hotplate with no attenuation just for the line out, then the ‘speaker out’ to my reactive load) is probably somewhat high impedence and the mixer has a 10k input impedence.

Put a boss Waza MT2 (bypassed) between the line out and mixer input since it has a 1M input impedance and 1k output impedance, sound issues resolved.

Played around with that a bit yesterday, and an hour or so today until I decided to switch back to running without a mixer with the axe FX in series… there is for sure a feel difference, felt like something was missing.

I may consider a more elegant solution than a bypassed boss metalzone as a buffer in the future though.

Ok you were right.

Over the weekend I got a behringer RX1602 v2 mixer b-stock for 20% off new price (which was already cheap) and wired it all up and made sure it was level matched to the previous setup.

Didn’t sound right at first until I realised the line out I’m using (an old thd hotplate with no attenuation just for the line out, then the ‘speaker out’ to my reactive load) is probably somewhat high impedence and the mixer has a 10k input impedence.

Put a boss Waza MT2 (bypassed) between the line out and mixer input since it has a 1M input impedance and 1k output impedance, sound issues resolved.

Played around with that a bit yesterday, and an hour or so today until I decided to switch back to running without a mixer with the axe FX in series… there is for sure a feel difference, felt like something was missing.

I may consider a more elegant solution than a bypassed boss metalzone as a buffer in the future though.

Told ya :p

Yeah, I notice it seems to feel less punchy, dynamic, and it kind of smears the low end together. It is like everything is smoother. I have compared many times by running 2 mixer channels, and switching back and forth instantly. Its not just the Fractal. I also notice with just about anything that has A/D/A conversions. I have gotten to where I always want anything with my analog rig to go through a mixer, or use analog dry-through pedals, such as the TC Electronic pedals.

I use a Fractal LB-2 into my mixer. You could either build a little simple buffer, or use something like an EQ. I use an MXR 10 Band EQ between my Loadbox and my mixer, so that I can shape my overall sound. That would probably help with the impedance mismatch.

Ok you were right.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/mxr-cae-buffer/

man i LOVE my synergy rig!!! it's my go-to live rig. Synergy bassman and XTC modules. About to get the plexi or metroplex module...maybe the dirty shirley?

Tons of options and sounds!
the DS is super versatile. i was shooting for bassman/jtm45 SRV blues to Cry of Love/Audley Freed classic rock type tones like this:

tried the B-Man first which was cool but the DS hit the sweet spot for me and my rig.

on the blue channel alone, it can get from very clean to tweed/vox chime, to some killer texas blues - dumble type sounds with the right pedals. running my ethos overdrive into DS blue sounds more like a dumble than the OS module does to me.

DS blue hit with Bogner XTC blue pedal:

DS blue for the clean tones on this one (and Randall SL+ for crunch/leads)

Told ya :p

Yeah, I notice it seems to feel less punchy, dynamic, and it kind of smears the low end together. It is like everything is smoother. I have compared many times by running 2 mixer channels, and switching back and forth instantly. Its not just the Fractal. I also notice with just about anything that has A/D/A conversions. I have gotten to where I always want anything with my analog rig to go through a mixer, or use analog dry-through pedals, such as the TC Electronic pedals.

I use a Fractal LB-2 into my mixer. You could either build a little simple buffer, or use something like an EQ. I use an MXR 10 Band EQ between my Loadbox and my mixer, so that I can shape my overall sound. That would probably help with the impedance mismatch.
Yeah my boss pedal is probably low headroom and might be clipping already. I think I’ll just built a little op amp buffer and feed it 18v or 24v or something for maximum headroom, and see how that goes. Not sure if I’d be better off with a passive DI box like the radial proDI or something, but that is a more expensive option and I probably already have all the stuff to build a buffer.

That looks like a good buffer, high input impedence, low output impedence, looks like good amount of headroom too.

the DS is super versatile. i was shooting for bassman/jtm45 SRV blues to Cry of Love/Audley Freed classic rock type tones like this:

tried the B-Man first which was cool but the DS hit the sweet spot for me and my rig.

on the blue channel alone, it can get from very clean to tweed/vox chime, to some killer texas blues - dumble type sounds with the right pedals. running my ethos overdrive into DS blue sounds more like a dumble than the OS module does to me.

Cry of Love RULESSSS!!! 2 of my favorite cd's ever!

Back