What's the neck on current Charvels like?

Rex Rocker

I mean the mid-priced Mexican-made ones.

I'm looking into maybe a Phil Sgrosso sig or a regular So-Cal.

I really like the looks, but I don't know what the neck is like. Is it Jackson-like? Ibanez-like? Fender-like? Is it thin? How thin? What's the back of the neck shaped like?

I don't like fat necks, and especially on a Super Strat like these, I'd expect something nice and thin. My favorite neck profile is the Super Wizard, but I'm aware most necks aren't like that. I can live with the Gibson 60's, but I definitely prefer something a bit thinner than that on a Super Strat.

So... what are they like?

I mean the mid-priced Mexican-made ones.

I'm looking into maybe a Phil Sgrosso sig or a regular So-Cal.

I really like the looks, but I don't know what the neck is like. Is it Jackson-like? Ibanez-like? Fender-like? Is it thin? How thin? What's the back of the neck shaped like?

I don't like fat necks, and especially on a Super Strat like these, I'd expect something nice and thin. My favorite neck profile is the Super Wizard, but I'm aware most necks aren't like that. I can live with the Gibson 60's, but I definitely prefer something a bit thinner than that on a Super Strat.

So... what are they like?
I bought one recently, a Tele.

And I can easily say the quality is much nicer than the Mexican Fender guitars. I don't know why that is, but it's plainly obvious.

The last new one I played was maybe about as thick as a fender modern C, but it had very chunky shoulders and was quite a pronounced “D“ shape. I couldn’t stand it.

This was maybe two or three years ago.

Um... So not much of a shredder neck, then? More middle-of-the-road?

I like the Fender Modern C, FWIW. I don't like the 9.5" radius, but the profile itself is nice, especially for a guitar like a Fender. But to know that's kinda what they use on Charvels is kind of disappointing. I would've expected the necks to be Jackson-like.

I bought a replacement mim neck w ebony board from stratosphere and it’s definitely a thin d shape, not a c shape that came originally on my so cal.

Back