NAD Mid 80's Canadian JCM800

Kapo_Polenton

What a beauty! Got an insane deal on this thing from a guy who did a one day flash sale because he needs to sell a bunch of amps before moving. Wasn't getting local interest so when i saw his one day price I essentially said sold and I will pay shipping. Thing is, he sent it back to his amp tech because he felt some of the mods were too specific to what he liked (dull mods for bright guitar) so he said if I wanted it, call his tech and he could walk me through what was done. Long story short, I ended up texting and speaking at length with this particular tech and he reversed some of the mods to what he liked and figured a guy who was into Lynch, DeMartinni etc would dig. He shares the same tastes as us guitar nerds and although he has built high gainers and modded Marshalls into gain beasts, he isn't crazy about drilling holes in stock 80's Marshalls. So I trusted his judgement and this is what I've got:

Mid 80's 100 watter, stock PCB and caps, stock trannies
POTS have been replaced (many are push/pull)
Mid POT is a 50K ( VH anyone?)

Mods breakdown:

Slightly tweaked values in the amp, one being 47K NFR which is what i like in my 2204's anyway
Push/Pull bass pot - changes presence cap value to the Lynch preferred .68. Has a big mid bloom that opens up the amp further when pulled.
Push/Pull MV- Jose zener sort of deal but softened and gained down to not be so bees in a jar
Push/Pull Preamp V- Gained up 800 but still very much in the voicing of the standard circuit
Push/Pull in place of Low Input: Pulled it tightens response slightly, also serves as gain control for any of the gain mods
Resonance mod

I can pull all of these together and get this thing cooking and it never turns to mush. Usable gain all across the board. With the Jose style plus 800 higher gain setting, I'm into Mick Mars era. can take a boost in any setting. Won't compress and turn to mushy garbage or sound fizzy.

So many usable tones on this beast. The stock circuit sounds killer too. Huge and crunchy. NO HOLES in the chassis and that was key to me. Non invasive mods. I've only put about 20 min on this thing but man, it smokes and is also quiet. How often do you get a deal on an amp, have a reputable amp tech go over it and take the time to find out what you like before he tweaks it and mails it out to you? I guess it is just timing because he is moving and quitting the business after 30 years but I feel like a found a unicorn with this thing. So clean too. I think both the seller and the tech were happy it was going to someone who would really appreciate it for what it was and I def. plan to. (NOS preamps tubes in it as well with an extra Phillips 12ax7 on the side).

A few pics below. This thing was crazy well packed too.

Attachments

• 20240724_222221.jpg
    20240724_222221.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 20240724_220607.jpg
    20240724_220607.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 42
  • 20240724_215818.jpg
    20240724_215818.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 43
Nice! A friend had a 50w Canadian JCM800 back in the early 90's. That amp rocked! Glen Morris makes his UK'78 amp based off the Canadian JMP. I have one. Killer amp.

Would love to hear clips of yours.

Nice! A friend had a 50w Canadian JCM800 back in the early 90's. That amp rocked! Glen Morris makes his UK'78 amp based off the Canadian JMP. I have one. Killer amp.

Would love to hear clips of yours.

I'm gonna throw up a few clips from my phone this weekend if i can.. my whole recording setup and gear is wrapped and under blankets while I finish the basement studio so though not ideal, it will give and idea. I always had this idea that the amps made for our Canadian market probably sucked or were lacking but I think I am wrong because I prefer this head to my combo so far.

Yup. No go. Sorry. Same as Scandinavian versions
Yep, but those have advantages that we here in the states don't have....vertical inputs lasting far later than us, complete with the older filtering as well, higher PV too. In fact, the 82 version Canadian or North Eu were still JMPs...85 800s vertical inputs....

Yep, but those have advantages that we here in the states don't have....vertical inputs lasting far later than us, complete with the older filtering as well, higher PV too. In fact, the 82 version Canadian or North Eu were still JMPs...85 800s vertical inputs....
True. I had a JMP from 84. But missing 16 out is a deal breaker for me. Unless it’s stupid cheap :)

Wait.. maybe i was wrong and just thought i saw 16..no biggie though. My Avatar cab is an oversized 8 ohm 4 x 12. As far as i know there is no issue running 8 ohm into 16 ohm cab. It's the inverse that causes issues. But 8 Ohm is a bit more " loud as fuck" than 16 is. I prefer 8 ohm anyway.

1722012859980.png

Last edited:
Back