Replacement Marshall Headshell Recommendations

braintheory

What can you guys recommend me for a headshell? I have a 212 Marshall JCM800 2203 4103 combo I want to make a head. I can’t seem to reach sourmash (called many times, left a vociemail) and guitar cabinets direct is more expensive. Any other recommendations? I don’t want one where it makes the chassis upside down or requires additional work. Thanks in advance!

What can you guys recommend me for a headshell? I have a 212 Marshall JCM800 2203 4103 combo I want to make a head. I can’t seem to reach sourmash (called many times, left a vociemail) and guitar cabinets direct is more expensive. Any other recommendations? I don’t want one where it makes the chassis upside down or requires additional work. Thanks in advance!
To be honest, the nice tolex headshell has been done to death. You either need to do a beautiful wood with a nitro finish for tone...or if you really fucking want the best tone. I know a jose that will carpet that shit with 70's shag

To be honest, the nice tolex headshell has been done to death. You either need to do a beautiful wood with a nitro finish for tone...or if you really fucking want the best tone. I know a jose that will carpet that shit with 70's shag
My current 2 favorite guitars actually use Shellac finish and have another custom build in progress now for me using that as well as some other unique wood choices and specs. I may even experiment in the future with some cheap vintage guitars with changing from Nitro to Shellac. Also would like to see what egg white finish is like like some classical guitars use. Guys can laugh all they want, but it makes a huge difference IME

I also once tried a real '51 Tele refinished in a local store and it sounded like a dud as far as vintage Tele's go, but then it was later re-finihsed again the "right way" (whatever that means) according to the store (nitro in both cases still) and it sounded like a different guitar. It sounded after like what other '51 Tele's IME typically sound like. We can have a separate thread about all this stuff, but I'll say again I think it's unacceptable for high end guitars to be using poly and oil finish I tend to like even less

Last edited:
My dude!
74319940881__83C34BA8-E65C-4E0C-AB27-F564C457CAB1.jpeg

They look good too, but seem to be more expensive than the other 2 and out of stock for the one I’d need, but will probably just go with Sourmash now that he back to me. He said it would be about $300 and about a 5 week wait
Sounds reasonable.

They must've gotten tired of credit card fees or dirtbags doing charge backs. 1 "p" in apologize people..🤣

Screenshot_20240726_182208_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
My brother bought one of their JMP 2x12 cabs for his 79 JMP 2104. Put in a V30 and a Greenback, and it was solid. UPS destroyed original cab. That was one bright, loud amps. Rip your head if until you got it goosed.

But, as nice as it was, UPS destroying the original fucked up the value.

If you are not in a hurry, then it sounds like Sour Mash might be the answer.

I ordered a head cab from KC at Guitar Cabinets Direct last Friday, and it arrived today. He usually has some of the more popular "panels" pre-cut, and has them ready for assembly / tolexing, when the orders come in. He told me that he states a 2 week build time for most things, but can usually get it out the door in 5-8 days.

I had a cab for my 2203 on order from Marshall.....ended up canceling it and just decided to use the original stage worn cab.

It was similar pricing to the aftermarket guys.

Last edited:
I can vouch for Sour Mash quality. A buddy of mine had a head shell made for his 79 JMP combo.
It is beautifully done. If I were in the market for one, I wouldn't hesitate to fork out $300 for that kind of quality.

~Troy

Back