"Modern" tone??

Id say periphery modern too but they are 10 years old . Like what’s THE tone of today . I can’t find new shit except for new death metal
EDIT: sorry my bad. I meant Polyphia this whole time LOL. I like periphery more, but never loved them either

I’d have to do some more searching lol, but from I remember periphery also sounded different to me back then they do more recently, but either way I never cared for any of their stuff. I’m not hater, just nothing they’ve done grabbed my attention yet in tone, playing or musical content
This is jason Richardson on guitar now . This is all computer . Sounds fake as fuck to me . But to me this is modern . Look I love these songs actually . But everthing digital on this production hurts my brain

Why are we still describing amps that were introduced in 1991 as "modern"? We either need to update the term MODERN or realize guitar tone has stagnated for over 20 years.. has it reached the end of the road? I haven't heard much of anything outside the box in forever other than maybe jack white and Billy gibbons using tons of effects. I remember going to Mars music back in the 90's and plugging into a Roland guitar synth.. it blew my mind how many cool sounds I could get out of it. Wish I could have afforded it. I wonder why more guitarist don't use that kind of shit in today's world of technology? There are other things to do than just try to get the most or best distortion ever.. no wonder rock music is dead.. rant over.
We reached the end of the road a loooong time ago. It's just variations.

Id say periphery modern too but they are 10 years old . Like what’s THE tone of today . I can’t find new shit except for new death metal
What’s really telling is how little has changed in 10 years, even longer actually. When you think about the radical changes that happened in popular music over 10 year periods and even shorter in days gone by. We seem to have a lot of stagnation in popular culture right now.

What’s really telling is how little has changed in 10 years, even longer actually. When you think about the radical changes that happened in popular music over 10 year periods and even shorter in days gone by. We seem to have a lot of stagnation in popular culture right now.
I agree .

I wonder if 70's Marshall players were having this discussion back then, reveling in their newish, crunchy Marshalls while poo pooing the older school clean to mildly overdriven Fender tone.

modern amp tones to me is all about the over production on records .. the guitar on modern recordings just does not stand out at all like it did in the 80's early 90's ... guitarists seemed to want to be bassists

Modern country=crappy rock guitar tone ripoff

Modern metal=bee swarm pissing in a empty soda can doubled

Modern blues=Fedora into overpriced strat into overpriced dumble clone.
not to forget the downtuned mud metal that sounds like a droning roar of low frequency muck without a hint of mids, treble or presence.

I don’t think so. Considering how many of those “Marshall” records were recorded with.a cranked Brown Fender.
Depends on what kind of music you were playing, cleans or crunch. I remember seeing all kinds of amps from obscure brands, not just Marshall, Fender,,...such as Sound City, Univox, Sunn, I think Peavey was just starting, rarely saw Mesa or Orange

Modern guitar sound can be defined on the eq spectrum to me because everyone mixes this way now and I fucking hate it lol. Hipass at 100-110 hz. Dip at 250. Notch all harsh frequencies (literally the guitar tone mojo with soothe) so all that’s left is the mid range. Then you cut out more excitement with a Lo pass at 6000-7500. So the tone is super mid rangey and cardboard as fuck. Done.

Depends on what kind of music you were playing, cleans or crunch. I remember seeing all kinds of amps from obscure brands, not just Marshall, Fender,,...such as Sound City, Univox, Sunn, I think Peavey was just starting, rarely saw Mesa or Orange
Yeah, all kinds of guitar amps were being used, Ampeg another one.

Reactions: rsm
Here’s the best modern tone I’ve heard ever . This song this album . And it’s all tubes . Marshall JMP 1 and orange
This tone s slamming !

Back