NAD - Friedman Smallbox 50

Welp, Dave just walked me through removing this.

Yeah now it's brightened up quite how I'd like it. Also the Tung Sol tubes should arrive tomorrow or the day after. Let's see if rake bring this amp even further

1720026073944.png

Welp, Dave just walked me through removing this.

Yeah now it's brightened up quite how I'd like it. Also the Tung Sol tubes should arrive tomorrow or the day after. Let's see if rake bring this amp even further

View attachment 322209
I’ve always liked the Tung Sol preamp tubes and if you’re still looking for more a Friedman Buxom Boost would probably work great with the SB. It’s worked great with every amp I’ve used it with

Update:

I changed the bright cap values from 250pf and 500pf on the Plexi channel to 500pf and 4700pf, and added a brightgt switch for the BE channel with those values.

The Plexi channel is about perfect now, but 4700pf is too much for the BE channel. I think I'll knock it down to 100pf and 500pf. Being able to switch between the normal "high brightness" setting to ultra bright and jangly was nice for the Plexi channel, but 4700pf made the BE channel sound thin (since I don't run the gain on 10 lmao)

Next I might mod it (or have it modded) for a bit more mids-mids. I'm on the fence on that one because right now it's a perfect pedal platform and has a nice feel and character that I like.

Attachments

• 1720574313059.png
    1720574313059.png
    275.5 KB · Views: 8
The problem is the low mid voicing for me. thats why I had my BE dlx modded by Dave. He truly does not know 90% of people who have sold their Friedman amps did because there are no mid mids. turn up your presence and treble all you want and it's still not mids, just spikey top end
A good NOS Mullard ECC83 in V1 will help them mids to be a little thicker.

Next I might mod it (or have it modded) for a bit more mids-mids. I'm on the fence on that one because right now it's a perfect pedal platform and has a nice feel and character that I like.

An important part of modding is knowing when to stop and just enjoy the amp.

I always found the presence to be the key on the smallbox and Runt 50 I've owned. I'd run it a bit higher, then lower the treble. The presence in those run higher sound more aggressive, and bitey. I always ran the mids about 1-2 o'clock. I never found them scooped, by any means. But I also ran an MXR 10-Band in the loop to bump certain frequencies. A great biting OD in front is the Zakk Wylde OD. That was my go to. It's an underrated pedal in front of some amps.

I love that amp, even though I'm only using the Plexi-channel. I'm not to fond about the BE-channel. For what you're after I would go with a MXR 10-band EQ in the loop. Then you can shape the tone to your liking and beyond. The easiest "mod" for any amp out there.

I love that amp, even though I'm only using the Plexi-channel. I'm not to fond about the BE-channel. For what you're after I would go with a MXR 10-band EQ in the loop. Then you can shape the tone to your liking and beyond. The easiest "mod" for any amp out there.

That used to be my stance. I added a 150pf bright cap to the BE channel and now I use it almost as much as I do the Plexi channel lol

Took the wool off the amp.

Back