2x12 Cabinet/wattage question

GuitarGuy08

Hello RT,

Quick quesion. I think I know the answer, but just curious. I have a 2x12 cabinet (Actually 2 of them but still)

I am thinking of grabbing an AV30 for sure and possibly an HT50 to try mixed in with an AV60.

My question is concerning wattage and how that could affect the tone/sound.

If I were to use an AV30 (30w) mixed with an AV60 (60w), the cabinet would have a total of 60w (2x30w in series)

If I ran HT50 and AV60, we'd be at 100w.

I have a 25w Tube amp head, so I don't have to worry about the 60w total being enough, I am just not sure how the difference tonally would be, if any. Would one speaker having more headroom so much greater than the other speaker affect anything really in this case? No clue. Probably will just try it out eventually, just curious if I should expect any odd effects running speakers with such a difference in wattage/headroom. TIA!

Last edited:
No, power from amp is split equally between 2 speakers (presume impedance the same on both). What should matter is efficiency of speakers (dB) and their frequency characteristics.

As bubucci said, power will be split evenly between the 2 speakers. If you're really pushing the 25 watt head to the max there's a possibility you may get a hint of speaker breakup from the 30 watt speaker. In all likelihood this won't be the case and you won't see any tonal difference.

You'd be better off looking at the SPL of each speaker. If one is significantly higher than the other it may overpower the other too much for your liking. As usual the best thing is to try it out yourself and see how it sounds.

Unrelated, but I prefer the AV75 mixed with the AV60……over the AV30. I’m sitting on all three speakers and expecting arrival of another AV75 today. All are awesome speakers.

Unrelated, but I prefer the AV75 mixed with the AV60……over the AV30. I’m sitting on all three speakers and expecting arrival of another AV75 today. All are awesome speakers.
Definitely related to me lol

Nice! I feel like the AV30 is going for that Greenback style sound whereas the AV75 reminds me of something else I can't quite recall. I need something with that mid-bark and growl. I do like the Invader 50 currently in there, but just have a feeling somehting else could have a bit of a clearer tone while still maintaining the Greenback vibe.

That's what lead me to think that the AV30 or HT50 could go really well with the AV60. Who knows though? Everyone has their specific wants/needs/desires.

The extra top and bottom of the AV75 with the mid-richness of the 60... I can definitely see and hear that working well.

Decisions decisions.... If I had the cash, I would have probably bought just about 1 of each speaker to try.

I know they have a 10 day return period, but I would assume you could not mount the speakers, as it would then be a used product.

Looks like all of the speakers are 100dB SPL.

Should not have a problem mixing one with the another then! Thanks for the confirmation RT crew.

Also, would you mind on elaborating what makes you dig one speaker over the other mixed with the 60?

I figured the low and low mid emphasis of the 30 would mix with the mid and high mid emphasis of the 60 pretty well.

Does the extended top and bottom of the 75 give you that top end sparkle and low end extension with a mid/upper mid bump from the 60 for a more vocal midrange? Sounds pretty nice.

I keep hearing an odd scratch in the demo of the HT50 that I don't hear in the other demos really, but at the same time...sounds like it could be cool. Unsure how different it is from the 30 other than the higher wattage. Both seem like they are going for that Greenback H sound.

Also, would you mind on elaborating what makes you dig one speaker over the other mixed with the 60?

I figured the low and low mid emphasis of the 30 would mix with the mid and high mid emphasis of the 60 pretty well.

Does the extended top and bottom of the 75 give you that top end sparkle and low end extension with a mid/upper mid bump from the 60 for a more vocal midrange? Sounds pretty nice.

I keep hearing an odd scratch in the demo of the HT50 that I don't hear in the other demos really, but at the same time...sounds like it could be cool. Unsure how different it is from the 30 other than the higher wattage. Both seem like they are going for that Greenback H sound.
Your 3rd paragraph is exactly right. The AV30 does that too, but it has a “honk” to it that irks me a little. I hear that same thing in the Anniversary H30. The AV30 is just like taking the H30 and shaving off some of the highs/presence and being tighter overall.

The AV60/AV75 mix is more modern sounding which I want. I have a quad of UK Greenbacks for my vintage wants.

Your 3rd paragraph is exactly right. The AV30 does that too, but it has a “honk” to it that irks me a little. I hear that same thing in the Anniversary H30. The AV30 is just like taking the H30 and shaving off some of the highs/presence and being tighter overall.

The AV60/AV75 mix is more modern sounding which I want. I have a quad of UK Greenbacks for my vintage wants.
Hm... Listening to my recorded tones, not certain which way I lean now. I okay so much of a mix. Definitely a 'slap you in the face' kinda midrange. Probably a bit honky for some, especially if I am doing lead - you hear every little thing. For better or worse. I crank those mids HARD.

Thanks for making it easier and harder at the same time lol I guess the only way to know which is for me is to try.

Probably will try the AV30 over the HT50.

Now you have me thinking my second may he an AV75.

What kind of amp are you running into yours?

Hm... Listening to my recorded tones, not certain which way I lean now. I okay so much of a mix. Definitely a 'slap you in the face' kinda midrange. Probably a bit honky for some, especially if I am doing lead - you hear every little thing. For better or worse. I crank those mids HARD.

Thanks for making it easier and harder at the same time lol I guess the only way to know which is for me is to try.

Probably will try the AV30 over the HT50.

Now you have me thinking my second may he an AV75.

What kind of amp are you running into yours?
Several different Morris heads. My favorite of which is a 2204 clone with tweaks. All my amps are in British/Marshall ballpark.

Several different Morris heads. My favorite of which is a 2204 clone with tweaks. All my amps are in British/Marshall ballpark.
Gotcha! That helps!! I run a Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Top (Mouthful) as my main amp. Distortion is like a British mix. The cleans are blackface and tweed, but I hate mid scooped speakers and always pair mid forward speakers and tubes with it if I can.

I guess time will tell. Definitely grabbing an AV30 to check out when I get a pair. The other is yet to be determined. AV75 sounds like it could be a good fit though.

Mixing Speakers is overrated!
That is my vote..
Well I am trying them side by side and I am preferring the mixed so... Idk. Is what it is lol If I can find a single speaker that has all of the qualities I want mixed into one, I would go with just that. the AV60 is close!!

Most any 212 can be loud enough to flap your pants..
2x12's are not actually louder than 1x12's. They just sound bigger and spread the sound over more area. But speaker coupling only really occurs below 500Hz, hence making them sound "bigger", but not perceivably louder.

Last edited:
The journey is the fun part.
Most any 212 can be loud enough to flap your pants..
I agree! I am glad I don't lug around a big 4x12 any more. Been years since those days. You live, you learn. The 2x12 pushes enough volume for sure. I was unsure if it would do the trick but I've ran it plenty of times with a drummer and have been fine.

Agreed on the other post that a 1x12 can be technically just as loud, just enjoy that dispersion!

If something doesn’t sound right and I can’t fix with the eq; I mix and match speakers. If that doesn’t work, I move to next amp. I love manipulating sound based on the hardware used.

If something doesn’t sound right and I can’t fix with the eq; I mix and match speakers. If that doesn’t work, I move to next amp. I love manipulating sound based on the hardware used.
Definitely all sorts of a journey! It really is amazing what a little tweak here or there can do, or sometimes a big tweak!!

Listening to the demos, I hear that 'chirp' or upper mid range jangle of the AV30 that seems like it could get out of hand with gain.

Leaning more towards an HT50. Seems to have tight low end, mid grunt, and a top end that is there but in a different way than the 30H and AV30.

May set up the 2nd cabinet to go more with a Marshall sound for that range of gear. Prob grab that AV75 to try there.

Damn do these AV60s sound good though. Really tight and thumpy. Oof. For gain especially, these are really top tier speakers. Anyone who picks up one of these for high gain should be most pleased indeed.

Back