5150 Iconic EL34 Available (Clips!)

• Thread starter Thread starter glpg80
  • Start date Start date
Sounds absolutely killer. Not sure Jason can make an amp sound bad though. Kinda like Ola. We thinking this replaces the 5153?

Sounds absolutely killer. Not sure Jason can make an amp sound bad though. Kinda like Ola. We thinking this replaces the 5153?
I think it could hold its own against them all except the stealth 50/100 variants. Those are nuts.

So these don't have a blue channel? Just green and red correct?

Correct. However, the Green Channel's two modes sound pretty different from each other, same with the two Red modes. It's almost like the Iconic is a 4 channel amp, but all four "channels" share a single tonestack and you can only footswitch between two sounds at a time.

Green is the new blue

Hah pretty much.

Word is that something about the EL34 Iconic's preamp is voiced in a "more vintage" way than the 6L6 version.
Is there any truth to that? I'd be curious to hear them A/B'd to see if that's true.

edit: looks like @Bad.Seed goes over that in his video. Warmer top end, more balanced overall, easier to EQ. That's cool.

Last edited:
I have not been interested in any new amp for a long time but man this sounds killer, both clips. and at that price point jeez!!!!!

Yeah that sounds sick. I just got a 3120 yesterday. Not mad but if I waited 1 day I'd probably have order this :LOL:
The 3120 will probably eat it's lunch. Throw some KT77's in there, a Tungsol in V1, a 5751 in V2, and you're rockin. Good tubes and biased right will light that Peavey up!

The 3120 will probably eat it's lunch. Throw some KT77's in there, a Tungsol in V1, a 5751 in V2, and you're rockin. Good tubes and biased right will light that Peavey up!
I literally just put a tung sol in V1 before I saw this :lol:

Been messing with tubes today (these tubes are a BITCH to get to and get in and out)

Definitely some weird results. In fact to my ears the tung sol was the only tube in V1 out of 4 different tubes that resulted in a noticeable difference and it was not for the better, at least for my tastes. It was a but cleaner which is good but the distortion dropped noticeably which I can't have.

What was more interesting though. I went to V4 because I like a Sovtek LPS typically....V4 gave me more of a noticeable change than V1. Ended up with Chinese B in V1 and JJ's for the rest.

The amp came with Ruby EL34BSTR which is pretty cool. Never tried KT77 though I will keep that in mind.

In any case, way off topic.

I think this was one of Kyle's best demos and I really like the new Iconic based on this video.

Had both Stealth 100w. Returned them after a few weeks. The Iconic I heard/played was a better sounding/feeling amp, IMO.
The one iconic I played was indeed fun to play but it doesn’t hold a candle to the stealth IMO. I’d take an iconic over the other various wattages and variants though.

On my shitty headphones it almost has a solid state tone to it... which isnt a bad thing 👀

The one iconic I played was indeed fun to play but it doesn’t hold a candle to the stealth IMO. I’d take an iconic over the other various wattages and variants though.

Kind of had the same experience. I've only played one and it was not in my own surroundings. My good friend has one and swears by it though.
They are cool amps, the 5153s and good values for the features, tone but there's just something about those amps I don't care for.....can't put my finger on it exactly. I call it a 'plastic-like' tone but not sure that describes super well lol.

Back