What boost to pair with the 3120?

• Thread starter Thread starter OldGtrGuy
  • Start date Start date
OldGtrGuy
OldGtrGuy
Wanted to shout out and thank everyone for the amp suggestions earlier and I guess here is round 2 of help me sound good while being poor. Obviously I could use a better cab/speakers but for now I'm thinking about a boost.

Had to sell my amp due to poverty reasons and I picked up the Peaverty 3120 because I have to have a half stack to jam out.

I'm happy with the purchase and it's going to work fine for me but now I'm thinking I need a boost. Don't get me wrong I don't think the amp "needs" a boost in the traditional sense, it has all the gain and saturation that I need but maybe to add a little flavor? Not really complaining about the tone from this amp but there is something about the low end that makes me think it could benefit from a little cut as well.

Here's a little clip for context.

Any tubescreamer-style circuit should work great. Grats on the new amp, btw. The active EQ on those things are super powerful. Be sure to check out Killertone's vids on this too. He always gets great sounds.

Sounds pretty good to me as is in the clip. If you want something under $100 I'd say '80's Yamaha OD-10M or MXR GT-OD

For $100-200 range I'd say a Klone of some sort like the Chrion (I've only tried in this price range the RYRA, Rimrock and Mjolnir for Klones and liked them), Boulder Notch or also the Yamaha OD-01

Over $200 I'd say Boss FA-1 or Fortin TS808

This is the perfect situation for a voodoo labs sparkle drive.

It's a tube screamer with a clean blend, which, given the amount of gain and saturation the 3120 has going, I would say would work well

A Treble Booster might sound good too. What I like in my Naga Viper is you have a pot to adjust the sweep of how full range vs. upper mid centric the boost is. Makes it very dialable on the how much low end it keeps or slices off.

This is why we should never sell anything ever 🤣 I've had so many boosts over the years, including some mentioned. Thinking I had it all figured out and sold them off and here I am now with no boost.

Will definitely look into some of these and need to watch Jason's video and more about this amp in general.

It's a tube screamer with a clean blend, which, given the amount of gain and saturation the 3120 has going, I would say would work well
Sounded interesting and perfect with that blend knob. Found one locally for cheap so this will be my first to try. I do have a couple of others in mind as well if this doesn't tighten my pants.

Old school OD808 just works with the XXX type amps. Orange channel. Sounds brutal.

Sounded interesting and perfect with that blend knob. Found one locally for cheap so this will be my first to try. I do have a couple of others in mind as well if this doesn't tighten my pants.

They're one of the best kept "cheap secret" boosts available, hope you dig it!

Yeah that one is definitely on the list as well. Tried and true. I should probably get a mesa cab now too :LOL:
I have all kinds of boosts laying around, I always go back to the tried and true lol. Od808 and the dirty tree (I’m not paying that much money for a real tc pre fuck that lol)

I just picked up a highwind direwolf recently and love it. If you are on a budget though you can do cheaper. However if you can spring $150-200 their are tons of reviews and clips on it. I also have a protone bulb and a 808 and the highwind is much better.

I don't like a TS style in the XXX or JSX, (if they have EL34's). The mids are honky by nature.. I dig an MXR Custom Modified (M-77), Zakk Wylde OD, or a Fortin Hex Drive would fair well. For TS-9, I'd get the Fortin modded from Godlyke, GT-OD, or Maxon 808, but that's if I put in 6L6's, (which I don't care for in the 3120/JSX/XXX. EL34's is where it's at with those amps. KT77's work REALY well. Very aggressive.

Odd that you lost gain with a Tungsol in V1. Those are fairly high gain. They add a smooth grit and tighter bottom. Don't forget, that Active EQ can be tricky. Crank that Master and find the sweet spot along with the channel volume.

Last edited:

Still rock my OG sparkle drive. I can make it work with almost any amp.

Still rock my OG sparkle drive. I can make it work with almost any amp.

Same, it's my favorite "jack of all trades" boost for backline amps for this exact reason

I've gotten usable tones with just about any rig imaginable with it - the clean boost is really useful, with bass heavy amps like a recto or something I tend to dial it very low, and with marshall-style or 5150 style amps I tend to run it relatively high

Plus they're stupid cheap and bulletproof

Same, it's my favorite "jack of all trades" boost for backline amps for this exact reason

I've gotten usable tones with just about any rig imaginable with it - the clean boost is really useful, with bass heavy amps like a recto or something I tend to dial it very low, and with marshall-style or 5150 style amps I tend to run it relatively high

Plus they're stupid cheap and bulletproof
Supposed to be picking one up tomorrow on the cheap, will report back.

Back