New Opeth.. Got some old-school going on..

• Thread starter Thread starter napalmdeath
  • Start date Start date
napalmdeath
napalmdeath
The Opeth purists can rejoice.. Got some old-school growl back on this one! It's a bit out there though. A mix of older and newer. Of course I'll pre-order the whole album to hear what else they have going on.

Sounds like it's going to be a Watershed 2.0 album, which is great. I love that album. Really stoked on how absolutely chaotic these riffs are. I'm preordering the vinyls. Interesting to see Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull is on this song, I wonder if he's elsewhere on the album.

Also looked up their tour, only playing Brooklyn in my area. The venue is doing that pricing based on demand bullshit, 6th row tickets are $270+. I guess I'll see them on the next tour..

I like it. It's not the best Opeth song I've ever heard, but it's very promising. I'm glad Mikael's growling again.

That being said, I'm not sure if it's the mix (I think it is), but his growls certainly don't sound as powerful as they used to.

Awesome! I didn't think we'd ever hear Mikael growl again. In Cauda kept my interest a bit, but nothing like the more aggressive stuff. Keeping expectations in check, but I'm pretty psyched to hear the whole thing.

I haven't kept up with them after Ghost Reveries. Definitely not a fan of the 70s prog direction that they have gone.
I as well...I've kept up, just haven't given their albums after this one more than a couple spins. It's still a bit prog for me, but it is a concept album, so maybe it veers into different elements? We will find out.

Not sure if like but psyched none the less. The albums dropping a couple days before I’m going seeing em !!! Nnnnice

I like it. It's not the best Opeth song I've ever heard, but it's very promising. I'm glad Mikael's growling again.

That being said, I'm not sure if it's the mix (I think it is), but his growls certainly don't sound as powerful as they used to.
They aren't what they used to be. However, his never were really "powerful," he growled pretty quietly. They always sounded great, regardless.

I liked the song. First thought in my head was why did he call the song 1 Simoleon.

sounds great! very chaotic picture they're painting. I'm a sucker for concept albums. I've been an opeth fan since 98 when i heard The Twilight is My Robe on a mix tape someone sent me in my tape trading days. I also think Opeth can do no wrong. Mikeal Akerfeldt is one of the musicians i look up to the most.

sounds great! very chaotic picture they're painting. I'm a sucker for concept albums. I've been an opeth fan since 98 when i heard The Twilight is My Robe on a mix tape someone sent me in my tape trading days. I also think Opeth can do no wrong. Mikeal Akerfeldt is one of the musicians i look up to the most.
Very underrated guitar player. Fredrik does alot of the shredding, but Mikael plays with alot of emotion.

Yeah I dunno, I'm a huge Opeth fan up through Watershed. Then they turned into 70's theatrical opera prog. This sounds like that with growling added back in. But I'll still be checking this release out, ya never know right?

Back