NAD: 6505 1992 original

with all ive spent total on music gear now, not having one of the standards for $1300 seems kind of silly. maybe ill just trade in my 6505+ which im not much into towards one
I used to own both and gigged both for ages. They’re really not a lot alike at all. I wouldn’t mind a 1992 with my 6505+. I couldn’t get rid of my 6505+ as it’s modded and is highly sentimental.

I used to own both and gigged both for ages. They’re really not a lot alike at all. I wouldn’t mind a 1992 with my 6505+. I couldn’t get rid of my 6505+ as it’s modded and is highly sentimental.
I think a + is different, I don't think it's lightyears different, but definitely a different flavor

The 1992 is as far as I can tell a 1:1 block letter for all intents and purposes, and especially for people like me who assumed you could always pick up an early 5150 on the cheap, it's perfect

Because I literally cannot make myself pay more than a grand and a half, let alone the 2.6 or whatever it is for a stealth that sounds basically the same

For fucks sake I have been buying and selling 60 watt combos for 400-600$ for years

How can I justify spending insane cash on the same basic tone?

So this hits the sweet spot for me, tone for $ wise, personally & especially with the 0% interest AMS deal

IF I had that much liquid cash I probably would have tried to buy your Laney lol

I think a + is different, I don't think it's lightyears different, but definitely a different flavor

The 1992 is as far as I can tell a 1:1 block letter for all intents and purposes, and especially for people like me who assumed you could always pick up an early 5150 on the cheap, it's perfect

Because I literally cannot make myself pay more than a grand and a half, let alone the 2.6 or whatever it is for a stealth that sounds basically the same

For fucks sake I have been buying and selling 60 watt combos for 400-600$ for years

So this hits the sweet spot for me, tone for $ wise, personally & especially with the 0% interest AMS deal

IF I had that much liquid cash I probably would have tried to buy your Laney lol
You know what’s up - these don’t mess around. I’ll let it continue to hurt feelings sounding better than the latest flavor of modder for the year bone stock with a boost 😎😂

I have no ill qualms of the 1992. I’d rather grab one for $1300 over another original block letter. I care about the sound and the 1992 can handle el34 or 6L6.

Okay @Smash

Let's see if you can guess my settings

Hint: it's not 666 or 636 with an SD1 or 808

You’re in the right ballpark IMO. Set to noon, up the bass, drop the mids, up the treble, resonance and presence increase to taste based on your cab and guitar. These don’t need more mids once you start using a boost which is adding even more mids.

If you set the gain on the lead channel above 4 or 5 max, it starts to fall apart.

I think the stealth is way better . I even sold my OG . People get scared by its gain on red channel but fuck just with a gate I’m getting Demanufacture tones which I love .

Yep. Always much preferred my 5150 to the plus model. Even had the Plus modded, which just made it worse. Then again a ton of players loved the Plus model. I remember when the Plus hit, snatched it up, couldn't wait with the extra control and real quick went back to the OG. Of course I think everyone who played those models loved the combo. What a great amp that was.
I think the stealth is way better . I even sold my OG . People get scared by its gain on red channel but fuck just with a gate I’m getting Demanufacture tones which I love .
For me, I'm just not feeling it. I totally dig my Stealth for about 30 mins then something starts to bug me. Hard to nail down but as best as I can describe it's a feel / high mid almost paper thing. I know that makes no sense lol. The chewiness I get with my Marshall, just not there.

Now I rocked the OG 5150 for years but it's been a long minute since I've played one so is that same thing there? I don't think so. I mean I tried for 10 years to replace that 5150 with tons of high gain boutique amps, from the mac daddy SLO to VHT's and never happened. What's crazy is the XXX replaced the OG as I needed something a bit more versatile for the music I was then playing. Then it got quickly replaced by the JSX lol. I guess back then I just had a thing for Peavey or James Browns high gain tonality. Oh well. Very interested in the 1992 and like I said, had they fixed the Master, brought it up to date, I would have already bought it. Kinda why I'm leaning the Synergy with the 6505 modules. I'd like to see if I still dig that tone as much as I did back in the day.

Yep. Always much preferred my 5150 to the plus model. Even had the Plus modded, which just made it worse. Then again a ton of players loved the Plus model. I remember when the Plus hit, snatched it up, couldn't wait with the extra control and real quick went back to the OG. Of course I think everyone who played those models loved the combo. What a great amp that was.

For me, I'm just not feeling it. I totally dig my Stealth for about 30 mins then something starts to bug me. Hard to nail down but as best as I can describe it's a feel / high mid almost paper thing. I know that makes no sense lol. The chewiness I get with my Marshall, just not there.

Now I rocked the OG 5150 for years but it's been a long minute since I've played one so is that same thing there? I don't think so. I mean I tried for 10 years to replace that 5150 with tons of high gain boutique amps, from the mac daddy SLO to VHT's and never happened. What's crazy is the XXX replaced the OG as I needed something a bit more versatile for the music I was then playing. Then it got quickly replaced by the JSX lol. I guess back then I just had a thing for Peavey or James Browns high gain tonality. Oh well. Very interested in the 1992 and like I said, had they fixed the Master, brought it up to date, I would have already bought it. Kinda why I'm leaning the Synergy with the 6505 modules. I'd like to see if I still dig that tone as much as I did back in the day.
Do you use a noise gate ?

You’re in the right ballpark IMO. Set to noon, up the bass, drop the mids, up the treble, resonance and presence increase to taste based on your cab and guitar. These don’t need more mids once you start using a boost which is adding even more mids.

If you set the gain on the lead channel above 4 or 5 max, it starts to fall apart.

Too bad you're completely wrong because this is on the rhythm channel. :ROFLMAO:

Dude not everyone cares about YOUR PERSONAL SETTINGS or taste.

Last edited:
You know what’s up - these don’t mess around. I’ll let it continue to hurt feelings sounding better than the latest flavor of modder for the year bone stock with a boost 😎😂

I have no ill qualms of the 1992. I’d rather grab one for $1300 over another original block letter. I care about the sound and the 1992 can handle el34 or 6L6.

Sounds righteous

Do you use a noise gate ?
Nope. Never have. I know crazy but I got used to using the Boss Tuners years ago as a noise mute. Stuck with it. Then again I've never played chugga start stop stuff where you gotta have that immediate response.

Nope. Never have. I know crazy but I got used to using the Boss Tuners years ago as a noise mute. Stuck with it. Then again I've never played chugga start stop stuff where you gotta have that immediate response.
Ya we all set up different and shit

People seem to forget the only important tricks with an amp are turning it on and not sucking on the guitar.

Especially with a 5150/2203/1987 etc classic model amp that has relatively simple topology

I can set the BMT on this amp to 000 or 101010 and change the mic position to EQ and it would sound basically the same

Back