Dug up an old multitrack from 2009 (and reamped with a 5150)

• Thread starter Thread starter easstudios
  • Start date Start date
easstudios
easstudios
Someone asked if I could do a NAM clip of my 5150 Block Letter and mentioned Killswitch/AILD/Chimaira type tones, so I figured I'd dig up one of my bands old demos and dust it off.

No tubescreamer here, just DI->amp model->IR. 5150 was just THE amp for this kind of sound.

so this is a model of your 5150?? id never know. sounds great. and not helping my modeler gas lol

so this is a model of your 5150?? id never know. sounds great. and not helping my modeler gas lol
Yeah this is using NAM which is IMO far and away the best capture tech right now. Works in a free plugin, I think there is also some iPad apps and HW pedals that can load the models.

Worth checking out as it costs nothing!

Sounds great dude. I've messed with NAM quite a bit but never actually tried capturing for it. Is there a quick n easy reference for making NAM captures?

Sounds great dude. I've messed with NAM quite a bit but never actually tried capturing for it. Is there a quick n easy reference for making NAM captures?
I think I used this video way back to wrap my head around it. For higher gain tones I prefer at least 500 epochs, and getting ground loops and noise as quiet as possible helps too.

That sounds really good. For lack of a better term has that resonance (that “leftover” sound, not the knob) of a real amp. Great music, too.

That sounds really good. For lack of a better term has that resonance (that “leftover” sound, not the knob) of a real amp. Great music, too.
Thanks! Yeah, I think one HUGE advantage (even over using load boxes) is you can capture the amp while its being loaded with a cab. There is some magic when the amp is driving a 4x12 and speakers and if you don't need to adjust settings after the fact, using a NAM model like that can work really well. For amps with a lot of switches and controls like a Mark or BE100 or something, I prefer just using the amp a lot of the time. Amps like a rectifier or 5150, I don't really adjust too much anyway.

Yeah this is using NAM which is IMO far and away the best capture tech right now. Works in a free plugin, I think there is also some iPad apps and HW pedals that can load the models.

Worth checking out as it costs nothing!

Yeah I’m gonna have to. I have “tube amp anxiety” from so many of my amps blowing up over the years that at least if I had accurate profiles I wouldn’t worry as much about playing my Cameron for instance, I’m gonna look into it.

Yeah I’m gonna have to. I have “tube amp anxiety” from so many of my amps blowing up over the years that at least if I had accurate profiles I wouldn’t worry as much about playing my Cameron for instance, I’m gonna look into it.
Man, it’s so close nowadays. Got a quad cortex for pretty good deal a while back and doing some captures it’s very hard to tell what’s what. Honestly might have me getting rid of some of my wall of amps.

Man, it’s so close nowadays. Got a quad cortex for pretty good deal a while back and doing some captures it’s very hard to tell what’s what. Honestly might have me getting rid of some of my wall of amps.

What do you run the cortex into?

What do you run the cortex into?
Mostly just into my computer for tracking. If I’m curious if I’d like an amp or not for a purchase, I’ll run it through a power section that would be similar to what the amp is.

Mostly just into my computer for tracking. If I’m curious if I’d like an amp or not for a purchase, I’ll run it through a power section that would be similar to what the amp is.

That’s kind of what I always figured I should get a modeler for, but then I’m scared I’ll just use the modeler, and what will I do with my house full of amps?? Think I’m gonna have to cave soon though

Back