Any PRS 594 guys here?

• Thread starter Thread starter bikerdude2
  • Start date Start date
Was hoping it was a departure from the usual PRS sound but it really isn’t. Standard PRS smoothness and rounded highs when compared to Gibson. Great neck though and beautifully made. Tone just wasn’t there for me

Tried one and wasn't really for me.

Only PRS guitar that I really held unto is/was the Santana but I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Peter Frampton Comes Alive Pickups. PRS guitars generally come with horrible bland pickups.

Recently was disappointed by the Silver Sky, was hoping it was a better Strat, it ended being inferior in every way.

Thanks guys. I like the PRS tone myself. Love my CU22, and these intrigue me being more LP like with the switching/volume/tone setups.

(throws on tan pants, but just for this post) I have a DC594 and SC594. I like them both. Probably the DC more than the SC, but that's just because it's more comfortable for me to play. I'd definitely give one a try if you can.

If your into your PRS CU22 and want a singlecut, EF'ing do it. Obviously the difference here is the McCarty body thickness (full thickness). They do come with low output PU's. That may require some redialing in of ODs/boosts, EQs and shit, minor stuff here. That 58/08 will surprise you, its so clear adn articulate. The Vintage pattern neck is slightly fatter but asymitrical. Its a great design. I'll probably consider a private stock if the economy calms down in 2025.

The 594 SC is a cool guitar, but I found I liked my regular McCarty and OG Singlecut more for that kind of thing (PRS doing Les Paul kind of tones).

If I were in the market for a high end Les Paul style guitar and didn't want a Gibson, I would be getting a Knaggs.

I like mine (imagine that with my name), had dozens of PRSs over the years, then got away from them. Have a '20 double cut, and just got an S2 single cut with the USA pickups, it's pretty bad ass (put a tremonti bridge pu in).

I dig mine. Exceptionally well built and I love the neck. I love the LT picukps as well, but if someone doesn't like them, they are easy enough to change. Same goes for Les Paul's. Strats, and every other guitar.

No, the thing that made the Silver Sky models inferior to me (Core and SE) is that you CAN'T put whatever bridge or you want on them and nobody wants to make custom Silver Sky bridges, there are some out there but as far as bridges go, you have to use PRS replacements and they suck ass. Proprietary bullshit that doesn't work as nearly as well as stuff that came out almost a hundred years before it lmao

Love my Core 594 and 58/15LT pickups. My two Les Paul’s are gone. Just a really well built and comfortable guitar to play. It’s taken me a while to confirm that most PRS pickups are what I have to fight with. Not so on the LTs.

As mentioned before, the Pattern Vintage neck profile is big... really big. I bought a used one from GC and loved it, except for the neck profile. I couldn't get past that and returned it. If a thicker neck profile is any concern, you might want to test drive one before you plunk down that kind of coin. This is for the core 594, I don't know what the SE is like.

As mentioned before, the Pattern Vintage neck profile is big... really big. I bought a used one from GC and loved it, except for the neck profile. I couldn't get past that and returned it. If a thicker neck profile is any concern, you might want to test drive one before you plunk down that kind of coin. This is for the core 594, I don't know what the SE is like.
That’s perfect. I like a thick neck. Hope to find one local to check out.

I've owned the S2 594's, and the Core. To me, the S2 used and a pick-up change is the way to go. I spent over 4k on a new core 10-Top 594, and even with the USA pickups, I wasn't blown away. The S2's are great guitars, and I have one for sale in the Classifieds for a crazy good deal. Comes with a PRS Core Hardshell case which for all intents and purposes, is nearly free.

I play early Singlecuts from the early 00’s with the wrap around bridges and widefat necks.
The scale length is the same as the Custom 22’s and should be worth finding one to try out.
I’m part of the camo shorts crowd and definitely not a tan pants-er, btw.

I've only tried the SE and S2 versions, and I agree about the neck profile. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't enjoy it. Maybe if it had a 12" board I'd like it better. But it certainly is chunky.

Another thing that I'm not sure I love that I guess is part of that PRS sound with "smoothness and rounded highs" that someone was discussing above is that the distance between the bridge and the bridge pickup is certainly larger on these as compared to the Gibsons they're inspired by which have the bridge pickup right against the bridge.

That being said, the S2 I tried was very well built and rang out great acoustically. The SE's I tried had pretty solid tops for mid-priced guitar. I wouldn't mind adding an S2 to my stable. I'd certainly swap those pickups out. They're great, I'm just not into low output pickups for the stuff that I play.

I have a McCarty 594. I hate the pickups. I just haven't decided on what I want to swap them to. I'm not in a hurry. I'm thinking Dimarzio Air Norton bridge and Air Classic neck for something different.

Here are your PRS neck profile choices. I think all PRS neck radii are 10", unless otherwise stated.
BcCf9WL.jpeg

PRS Forum said:
Older 25-inch McCarty's had Wide Fat, then Pattern necks-which are touted to be the same, but are not. The 594 comes with an asymmetrical Pattern Vintage neck carve. The SE McCarty 594 has the Pattern Vintage carve.

Back