RIP My Les Paul Custom Axcess

• Thread starter Thread starter itsgoodnow
  • Start date Start date
You think they would let him do much cheaper guitars for a while, to make sure he’s got it down before tackling a LP Custom. Curious why there were planing the fretboard at all? I didn’t think a re-fret would require that.
Seriously. Bizarre decisions all around by this shop. Makes me wonder if someone didn’t botch the job and then use the apprentice/new guy as a scapegoat. Is there even a “new guy”?? I smell a coverup.

Seriously. Bizarre decisions all around by this shop. Makes me wonder if someone didn’t botch the job and then use the apprentice/new guy as a scapegoat. Is there even a “new guy”?? I smell a coverup.

When I train people to do work on nuts, frets or electronics, I always pick junk/beater guitars doomed for trash.. Or make the newbie bring in their own instruments. Working on junk guitars can instill confidence without worrying too much, working on their own personal stuff teaches them to be careful. I usually show them how to repair/fix damages mistakes they make along the way. That's just the way it makes sense to me. I can't say I'm surprised though, I made a lot of my living cleaning up other luthiers/techs work. There's a lot of scumbags who take money to fix guitars when they really shouldn't.

To the OP: That’s ridiculous! I’m glad they had insurance for such a thing. I hope it covers the cost of a replacement for you.

Hey all,

Just wanted to vent. I dropped my guitar off with my luthier to do a stainless refret on a Les Paul Custom Axcess. I have had them do this a few times before and it has been flawless. The shop had it for a few months, which is fine, I really am not in a rush and they have serviced more immediate needs on a lot of other guitars quickly. Anyway, they were planing the neck and, apparently, put a new guy on it for the job. While they were supervising him they were, by their own admission, not doing an adequate job. The guy apparently planed off verrry incorrectly, took off some of the inlays on the neck (on the bass side) and planed into the bass side of the neck to the point that half of the black dots on the side marker are gone. Unsure how someone fucks up that bad. To their credit, they immediately took ownership of the mistake and are opening an insurance claim, but I am definitely pretty pissed.
They getting it taken care of? Man, I'd actually like to see the pictures... Sorry for your loss.

I think the replacement was modded by Noveske.
lolll luckily I got a replacement this morning so hopefully the fair market value of the guitar lines up with what the insurance adjuster quotes.
Yeah... The replacement came through modded by Noveske.

Sounds like a new fingerboard is in order. Pics?
Definitely gonna grab pics. But I asked if it’s salvageable and they said it will play if they work on it more but basically it would need a new board, inlays, binding, and by extension probably finish and clear. Plus there’s diminished value of the instrument. I think it’s more trouble than it’s worth for them so they would rather just replace it

Definitely gonna grab pics. But I asked if it’s salvageable and they said it will play if they work on it more but basically it would need a new board, inlays, binding, and by extension probably finish and clear. Plus there’s diminished value of the instrument. I think it’s more trouble than it’s worth for them so they would rather just replace it
Isn’t that all just typical set up work for any new Gibson though?

🙂

I mean… they could steam off the fretboard and install a new one. I had that done when I modded the shit out of my satin finished V.

We put on an ebony board with binging and trap inlays. Was $300…

The situation sucks though. I’d be super pissed.

Man, it's really aggravating. LP Custom Axcess is such a nice guitar. Mine has become my main toy. It's in the living-room, I play with it every day since I bought it last year. I'd be devastated if a shop destroyed it. 😢

Back