Avatar, Fane, and WGS speakers - An ongoing thread with summarized results

• Thread starter Thread starter GuitarGuy08
  • Start date Start date
Hello all,

I tested a pair of AV60s in my old Jet City vertical cabinet instead of super thick wooded Panama. I used a Marshall instead of the Rivera. Really, really good stuff. So much so, that it made me glad to have the 60s around, as they pair much better with the Marshall than the Rivera. The bass response and harmonic richness of the high end is everything you want from a V30 and more. Highly recommend checking them out to add some harmonic grind and sizzle without being too harsh.

My previous statement still stands. The AV60 sounds absolutely wonderful with the Marshall. I'd almost go as far as to guess that they used a Marshall when dialing this is. Generally, in this little version of a JCM800 basically, I would run bass all the way up, mids all the way and treble basically off. I do not need to push the mids or bass nearly as hard and I can actually use the treble knob. Killer speakers. Really hold together at lower and higher volumes. Extremely pleased with these now.

If I just A/B the speakers - I actually prefer the M65 overall every time. Some sort of depth and punch that I particularly enjoy. For me, I would go all M65s at this point if I had to make a choice between the two or even the M65 mixed. I guess I just love the mid-range grunt and superb clarity. A smoothing out of anything you could even think to call fizz. The AV60 sounds like it would stand out more in a mix/live situation and has a beautiful harmonic richness. Mixed togeher - makes a wicked sound. Still, for me, there is just a certain depth that the Fane provides over the AV60 for lead runs in the upper register - whilst the absolutely dredged, almost saturated sound of the AV60 really works for heavy rhythms.

More to come!

You really should try the AV75. It has effectively ended my years-long speaker search.
Hey - I found your demo of this speaker on YT! Sounds killer. I know what you mean about sounding basically like the perfect speaker. This does indeed sound like a refined verison of the Fane H75. Should mix rather well with the Fane M65 then. Extremely excited for these to come in.

Doesn't sound like the AV75 'fills' in the place I need it to. I wonder if an EQ in the Fx could get it out possibly? @griff10672 What say ye? Could an eq in the loop help eliminate a slight nasal sound from the speaker? I would think not but IDK
We could through my JHS Clover or my Boss GE7 in the mix to see how that will effect the tone.

We could through my JHS Clover or my Boss GE7 in the mix to see how that will effect the tone.
I think it is the speaker spectrum itself I am hearing, so the stuff before isn't quite tweaking it. I spoke with Dave at Avatar and he said the AV75 should fill out the spectrum the way I want. We shall see very soon, as I have a 75 arriving this week to test! Lol

Update time!!!

Testing with an S style guitar with 3 single coil Alnico 3 pickups into 2x12 cabinet(s). Primarily testing in the Panama solid 2x12 turned vertical with a closed back.

I will end up writing a summarized statement by the end of all of this with speaker differences, etc.

For now, we stick with the little blurbs.

I received the A75 speakers earlier this week. I haven't had the most time at high volumes with the set yet. That being said, these speakers are very clear and articulate without seeming to add too much or take too much away. Transparent is a word that comes to mind with these. They do add some flavor and warmth but what strikes me the most about the set is how versatile they are. By tweaking amp knobs and settings, I can make this speakers mimic other sets, whereas other sets cannot mimic these. I believe the reason why is due to the very broad and clear spectrum the speaker produces.

I have been going back and forth testing all of the speakers in so many ways and combinations. The differences are surprising.

I finally figured out what was giving the Invader 50 the extra feeling of brilliance: the speaker is very clear and detailed. The high end is very extended, organic, and woody. I see an orangeish red color when I play these speakers. (I see shapes and/or colors as I play). Not as much bass to these as I previously thought. Definitely a mid centric speaker. Kinda reminds me of cranking the presence knob up.

Due to the extended high mid flavor of the Invader, I have noticed that I am used to that sound for the distortion/lead channel. I have been able to dial in nearly the same amount of cut from the AV75, but of course they aren't quite the same.

I have a sweet pedal board but most of the time I play with basically nothing on or a delay. I think the speaker having less of that mid spoke with allow me to use pedals in front with a better cohesion for what I am seeking.

The AV75 is as described: Tons of top and bottom but not scooped.

The mids are present and extremely clear. It does take the ears a bit to get used to, as the high end is quite extended, as is the low end. You may find your amp sounding different due to this.

To me, as a tube roller (addicted, seeking help),

The speaker reminds me almost of throwing in an RCA long greyplate in place of the RCA black plate. The difference being that the Grey ramps up the bass and treble and leaves mids where they are.

This has led me to definitely mess with knob configurations but the end result is really, really damn good.

I did some slight mixing, but I shouldn't have, as I really need to feel out and understand the individual frequencies being presented before I mix for beat results/summarized explanations.

Overall, extremely impressed with the AV75. Not much to find at fault with this speaker so far.

More testing to do, more results to come.

Hello all,

Another day of shooting out speakers! I was surprised by the results.

So, the 2xAV75s are a very nice combination. The highs are definitely very extended, be sure to roll back a touch on the treble if you have a strat like me. That being said - really clear, deep sounding speakers.

I mixed together the M65/AV60 and that combination really kills. It is similar in ways to the AV75 combination but the top end actually retains a touch more sweetness and a touch more mid body.

I tested the M65 alone again. Really, really good speaker. Not hearing as much of that rolled off or wah sound here like before. Not sure what difference there is to the environment or amp settings but this speaker really sounds amazing. The bass and everything is really tight and clear. Need to keep trying these combinations out but think I am close. Would be funny if I just settled in 2 of the M65s in the end or something or that nature.

Really thankful for Avatar/Fane. Wonderful stuff!!!

Open back cab is where it's at for the 75s.

If you're going closed back, go with Fane M65s or a Combo of a 65 and an AV60.

At least out of all of the combinations I have heard, this is where it's at.

Tested with a Fender Custom Style Blackface, Tweed and Overdrive that is akin to a Knucklehead but more vocal and smooth.

Marshall upcoming.

Open back cab is where it's at for the 75s.

If you're going closed back, go with Fane M65s or a Combo of a 65 and an AV60.

At least out of all of the combinations I have heard, this is where it's at.

Tested with a Fender Custom Style Blackface, Tweed and Overdrive that is akin to a Knucklehead but more vocal and smooth.

Marshall upcoming.

I like strong mids! With capable lows!
The m65 is great.

That AV60 is sounding VERY appealing.
Definitely do the marshall 👹👹

Speaker Summaries:

2x12 closed back Solid Wood Panama Cabinet stood up vertically.

Invader 50 x Invader 50:

This combination is mid city! There is a very extended upper-high-mid or presence to these. The sound is extremely mid oriented, and may leave you wanting just a bit for bass when used on their own. The sound adds almost a layer on top with the high-mid as mentioned. Kind of like there is a pedal that is always on in a way. The drive channel can get extra 'growly' when using these. Extremely woody and organic in every sense. Effects really come out due to the extended top end that is there and mid range grunt. Not an even sound spectrum. Definitely a setup for if you WANT the speaker to really have an affect on the sound. Your amp WILL sound a certain way when you run these that will be hard to replicate elsewhere. Whether you like that or not is up to you.

AV60 x AV60:

I have grown to enjoy the overall sound of Greenback style speakers but gave these a shot and was very pleasantly surprised. . Very similar to tweaking and (in my opinion) perfecting the Vintage 30. I listened to V30s back to back in clips against these and they sound like they are smoother in the high mid section with more bass and body to the overall tone. If you like V30s at all, you'd do well by getting some of these to throw into the mix. I find this speaker is really good when paired with my Marshall. The top end can get that sizzle going on, just like a Vintage 30, but it is more controllable, musical, and usable. Very mid focused overall with a feeling like your foot is on the 'gas pedal' so to speak when you are playing. Extremely tight. A little thin alone for clean sounds but excels at pushed cleans/hair, crunch, and high gain. I prefer these mixed with a GB style speaker overall.

Invader 50 x AV60:

I thought this would turn out better but... I was wrong. These did not pair together well. Too many overlapping mids and high frequencies that are slightly shifgten to a different spectrum. May work better in a larger configuration but to much sizzle and high end snap here, not enough bass. Not into this combination at all.

AV75 x AV75 ** My Top choice for an open back cab currently.

Tons of top and bottom with a clear mid range as well. Not scooped. As described on the site, basically. The top end is very extended, and you will need to notch down on the treble. That being said, very clear, musical speakers. They present a very dynamic palette but i can see this having a certain sound that may not work well with specific setups/amps. The extended top end on the Blackface can be ear cutting if you want it to be, in a hurry. At the same time, it does not muffle when you roll down the treble, it just sweetens, which is what you want! These speakers are good at mimicing many sounds, in that they present a pretty full sound spectrum and they are very responsive to the tone controls, in the way you would desire. I can see these cutting through in a live mix or recording, very clear, very extended top and bottom. Sounds good with drive and on cleans. A powerful sound. Again, I think these are more amp dependent than most in this setup, as I could see someone getting a thin/scratchy top end very easily with a closed back. Overall, I would not recommend these for a closed back scenario. The extension of the extra bass and top from the closed back in just overwhelming in most cases and will need to be dialed back.

OPEN BACK REVIEW: These speakers seem to come to life in an open back situation. You can almost feel them breathing when you use them. A very intense exprreince in a good way. Low lows and soaring highs. Midrange is like that middle ground between to keep you stable. Did not expect this goodness to come about at all. Open back transformed these. They needed that extra mid range provided, which allowed the highs and bass to sweeten up and fill out. Lots of 3D sound here.

Fane M65 x AV75:

The Fane M65 is dang near a 'perfect' speaker to my ear. I thought previously I heard a slight rolled off/nasal thing, but it must have just been something off that day, as the speaker truly is remarkable. That being said, this is about how it mixes with others! The 65 x 75 variant did not complimet one another in this closed back setup. It seems like each one brought out the worse/lesser qualities of the other, as opposed to melding together. Odd, because on paper this would have been thought to be the perfect combination. One has a lot of top and pbottom and the other is more mid focused...nope. Don't work for me here. Maybe can get by with cleans but gain does something undesirable and adds a scratch that is not there when using either speaker on their own. Weird.

AV75 x AV60

Too much top end bite and thinness. The upper mid addition of the AV60 and mids kind of stack on fine enough but there is just too much top end for what I am seeking. Not the worst setup in the world, definitely will make you cut through, but not what I am seeking. One of those that has you 'rolling knobs' as it were. Maybe this could do better with an open back, we will see.

*Fane M65 x AV60* - My Top Choice for closed back cab currently

In a closed back configuration, these sound absolutely wonderful. The top end is extended and present/clear, without being overbearing. There is a mid-forward nature to the tone, meaning that the notes focus on the body/mid of the string/note when you are playing as opposed to the bass and treble of it. The notes do not 'clacl' and have that hollow or scooped nature to them at all. This gives each note a certain thickness along with clarity. The mids are not muddled in this configuration. The two seem to have very, very complimentary frequencies, that meld together in the way you would want. There is a slight Speaker efficiency difference of less than 1 dB in the favor of the AV60 over the M65. This seems to be a 'catch all' pairing and can be played with multiple instruments while achieving a tightness and fatness and sizzle without any being too much. The AV60s help add that feeling of 'drive' behind the amp. This setup really has you feeling like you are ready to play. I don't know how else to put it. When you turn it on and start to dial it in, you just feel like the amp is saying "Come on, let's go!" the entire time. The AV60s add that upper mid thing that lends it this feeling. I am not sure I can think of an amp that would NOT pair well with this combination. If you are someone who is looking to mix and match speakers to try to achieve a broader, more versatile spectrum, this combination seems to be the ticket. I tried this combination is multiple vertical closed back cabs and it won every time. It seems to bring out the qualities that are beloved of both Greenbacks and Vintage 30s. Some might say these are ingredients for that 'perfect combination.' I could see the rhythm and blues/clean player enjoying this setup equally as well as a rock/metal player.

Excited to check these out inan open back scenario.

I would LOVE to try a pair of Fane M65s together but I only own one and past tapped out on cash. This is really about mixing speakers together in a cab anyway, but still!

Last edited:
Speaker Summaries:

2x12 closed back Solid Wood Panama Cabinet stood up vertically.

Invader 50 x Invader 50:

This combination is mid city! There is a very extended upper-high-mid or presence to these. The sound is extremely mid oriented, and may leave you wanting just a bit for bass when used on their own. The sound adds almost a layer on top with the high-mid as mentioned. Kind of like there is a pedal that is always on in a way. The drive channel can get extra 'growly' when using these. Extremely woody and organic in every sense. Effects really come out due to the extended top end that is there and mid range grunt. Not an even sound spectrum. Definitely a setup for if you WANT the speaker to really have an affect on the sound. Your amp WILL sound a certain way when you run these that will be hard to replicate elsewhere. Whether you like that or not is up to you.

AV60 x AV60:

I have grown to enjoy the overall sound of Greenback style speakers but gave these a shot and was very pleasantly surprised. . Very similar to tweaking and (in my opinion) perfecting the Vintage 30. I listened to V30s back to back in clips against these and they sound like they are smoother in the high mid section with more bass and body to the overall tone. If you like V30s at all, you'd do well by getting some of these to throw into the mix. I find this speaker is really good when paired with my Marshall. The top end can get that sizzle going on, just like a Vintage 30, but it is more controllable, musical, and usable. Very mid focused overall with a feeling like your foot is on the 'gas pedal' so to speak when you are playing. Extremely tight. A little thin alone for clean sounds but excels at pushed cleans/hair, crunch, and high gain. I prefer these mixed with a GB style speaker overall.

Invader 50 x AV60:

I thought this would turn out better but... I was wrong. These did not pair together well. Too many overlapping mids and high frequencies that are slightly shifgten to a different spectrum. May work better in a larger configuration but to much sizzle and high end snap here, not enough bass. Not into this combination at all.

AV75 x AV75 ** My Top choice for an open back cab currently.

Tons of top and bottom with a clear mid range as well. Not scooped. As described on the site, basically. The top end is very extended, and you will need to notch down on the treble. That being said, very clear, musical speakers. They present a very dynamic palette but i can see this having a certain sound that may not work well with specific setups/amps. The extended top end on the Blackface can be ear cutting if you want it to be, in a hurry. At the same time, it does not muffle when you roll down the treble, it just sweetens, which is what you want! These speakers are good at mimicing many sounds, in that they present a pretty full sound spectrum and they are very responsive to the tone controls, in the way you would desire. I can see these cutting through in a live mix or recording, very clear, very extended top and bottom. Sounds good with drive and on cleans. A powerful sound. Again, I think these are more amp dependent than most in this setup, as I could see someone getting a thin/scratchy top end very easily with a closed back. Overall, I would not recommend these for a closed back scenario. The extension of the extra bass and top from the closed back in just overwhelming in most cases and will need to be dialed back.

OPEN BACK REVIEW: These speakers seem to come to life in an open back situation. You can almost feel them breathing when you use them. A very intense exprreince in a good way. Low lows and soaring highs. Midrange is like that middle ground between to keep you stable. Did not expect this goodness to come about at all. Open back transformed these. They needed that extra mid range provided, which allowed the highs and bass to sweeten up and fill out. Lots of 3D sound here.

Fane M65 x AV75:

The Fane M65 is dang near a 'perfect' speaker to my ear. I thought previously I heard a slight rolled off/nasal thing, but it must have just been something off that day, as the speaker truly is remarkable. That being said, this is about how it mixes with others! The 65 x 75 variant did not complimet one another in this closed back setup. It seems like each one brought out the worse/lesser qualities of the other, as opposed to melding together. Odd, because on paper this would have been thought to be the perfect combination. One has a lot of top and pbottom and the other is more mid focused...nope. Don't work for me here. Maybe can get by with cleans but gain does something undesirable and adds a scratch that is not there when using either speaker on their own. Weird.

AV75 x AV60

Too much top end bite and thinness. The upper mid addition of the AV60 and mids kind of stack on fine enough but there is just too much top end for what I am seeking. Not the worst setup in the world, definitely will make you cut through, but not what I am seeking. One of those that has you 'rolling knobs' as it were. Maybe this could do better with an open back, we will see.

*Fane M65 x AV60* - My Top Choice for closed back cab currently

In a closed back configuration, these sound absolutely wonderful. The top end is extended and present/clear, without being overbearing. There is a mid-forward nature to the tone, meaning that the notes focus on the body/mid of the string/note when you are playing as opposed to the bass and treble of it. The notes do not 'clacl' and have that hollow or scooped nature to them at all. This gives each note a certain thickness along with clarity. The mids are not muddled in this configuration. The two seem to have very, very complimentary frequencies, that meld together in the way you would want. There is a slight Speaker efficiency difference of less than 1 dB in the favor of the AV60 over the M65. This seems to be a 'catch all' pairing and can be played with multiple instruments while achieving a tightness and fatness and sizzle without any being too much. The AV60s help add that feeling of 'drive' behind the amp. This setup really has you feeling like you are ready to play. I don't know how else to put it. When you turn it on and start to dial it in, you just feel like the amp is saying "Come on, let's go!" the entire time. The AV60s add that upper mid thing that lends it this feeling. I am not sure I can think of an amp that would NOT pair well with this combination. If you are someone who is looking to mix and match speakers to try to achieve a broader, more versatile spectrum, this combination seems to be the ticket. I tried this combination is multiple vertical closed back cabs and it won every time. It seems to bring out the qualities that are beloved of both Greenbacks and Vintage 30s. Some might say these are ingredients for that 'perfect combination.' I could see the rhythm and blues/clean player enjoying this setup equally as well as a rock/metal player.

Excited to check these out inan open back scenario.

I would LOVE to try a pair of Fane M65s together but I only own one and past tapped out on cash. This is really about mixing speakers together in a cab anyway, but still!

Great content.... love love reading these type of analysis.... I'm definitely feeling like..... I'd enjoy that AV60!!

I never get along with overly bright speakers and would rather dial in the sharpness via the amp.

Might stay away from the 75 version.

Great content.... love love reading these type of analysis.... I'm definitely feeling like..... I'd enjoy that AV60!!

I never get along with overly bright speakers and would rather dial in the sharpness via the amp.

Might stay away from the 75 version.
In an open back cab situation, this Marshall is THUMPIN with the AV75s. I will post Open back tests next.

I would probably recommend just checking out an AV60 is your situation and with your tastes. It's a super tight speaker. Feels like it is designed for rock.

Normally with the Marshall, I run mids and bass atw up with lvl and gain about matching. Treble 4-5.

With the Av60/M65, I can dial back that Midrange a bit and tweak up the treble if i want.

Bass runs full and I could not imagine it getting out of control in any situation on any amp.

Edit: This marshall is a Lead 12 head. I run it cranked all the way, as it really opens up and fattens out at those levels. Basiclaly a little version of a JCM800 with Mosfets, etc.

Last edited:
***TESTING CONTINUED***

My Top 3 choices for an Open back cab:

AV75 x AV75 - Lots of top and bottom with an open midrange. Huge soundstage for effects. May be a bit top end heavy for some rigs.

AV75 x M65 - Reigned in top and bottom, but still there. Midrange push is there. Almost as large of a soundstage as with the 75s alone but with a more 'guitar focused' tone and sweetness.

AV60 x M65 - Most focused of the lot but not in a sharp way. You could crank your bass knob all the way up and it would remaini controlled. Everything here sounds really good. This is like having the best of the Vintage 30 and Greenback rolled into one sound. Very guitar focused and mid rich. You can play with the presence and treble knobs freely and the guitar tone will retain body. Effects testing coming up.

OPEN BACK PANAMA 2x12 TURNED VERTICALLY:

KEEP IN MIND MOST TESTING IS DONE WITH BLACKFACE STYLE CLEAN AND CUSTOM OVERDRIVE:

OPEN BACK:

AV75 x AV75 - **- A lot of everything on the spectrum. Clear mids in every sense. Top & bass can be a bit overwhelming if not tamed back. Killer speakers.

This combination really opens up and sweetens up here. The extra mids from the open cabinet are a welcome addition to this tonal palette. The highs have broadened out and now have a sweetness to them that was not present with the closed back. There is far more dimensionality to the sound and your soundstage sounds like it has broadened. The top end will still need to be tamed back a notch on both the clean and lead channels, but it does not muffle or mute the sound, just helps take the edge off. The mids and bass do not seem to lose clarity when dialing back the treble a bit. The bass is extended in the speaker, so you probably won't be dialing much of that in. this is really working for the Rivera and Marshall heads I have tried. Surprised at how much of a difference opening the cabinet made. This mix gives the effects more of a presence on the soundstage. You can really hear the details of a tape delay or the gradient warmth of an analog delay. Would you rather have the guitar body more present over the effects? Would you prefer the soundstage be 'tightened up' and mid heavy as opposed to Bass and Treble focused? Then try the M65/AV60 combination. The M65/AV75 combinations achieves a vast tonal palette as well and has a broader soundstage than the AV60 mix. What you give up in soundstage for the AV60, you gain mid thickness and richness and tightness overall.

MARSHALL: This combo really thumps HARD. I was surprised at just how well these two paired together. Really intense, in a really good way. I could see someone really, really loving this with their Marshall/Plexi setup. May have to dial the top back a bit, but you have to do that anyway with these kind of amps. I would almost go as far as to call this 'Glorious' with that style of amp.

AV75 x AV60

This combination does not work as well here. The AV60 adds tightness and clarity, but it also adds mids. With the AV75, I would think mids would be ok, but the extra mids only seem to slightly fatten up in this case, 'muddy' in a way, the clear mids the AV75s were presenting on their own. The sound can be dialed in to have less mids, but now has a broader feel to the notes in general. The top end still has a bit of too much snap for the, now thickened, middle. I could see how people would dig it, but I would prefer other options. The tonal spectrum doesn't feel balanced here. It works, but not in a balanced, clear manner. The low mids are too warm with the two put together. The extra warmth does not transfer across the high end spectrum quite as evenly as I'd like.

MARSHALL: Did not test with this combination. Really did not like how they paired at all with one another for the Rivera. I may circle back and try it later with the Marshall, but in my head, this doesn't seem like it would really work in a complimentary way. I could be wrong.

AV60 x AV60 - A solid replacement for a standard Vintage 30 combination

This is a good mix for a certain flavor. i find it not to my liking overall, though opening up the cabinet helped sweeten up the top end. Remember, the Rivera is an American amp, after all. Though I tend to not like that super scooped sound most Fender lovers like. i enjoy a balanced OR mid forward sound. The Rivera accommodates that in spades as well. With these speakers, the mids are very meaty, and warm, with plenty of top end. Bass is present as well. I could see how this would mix well with some amps but overall not for me. Something just isn't as 'there' with he dimensionality and space of soundstage like it was before. Still - very focused, cutting sound. Not too over the top. You can stand in the room with these, unlike Vintage 30s. If you are a V30 fan, these are for you.

MARSHALL: There we go, this sits much better with the V30 type. I would almost guess that they used a Marshall when dialing these in. These pair very well together. The open back helps these speakers have some more dimension to them. I feel they can be a bit 'flat' in a closed back scenario. They can still remain tight in an open back scenario, whereas many speakers cannot. The mids are as described on the Avatar website: Meaty. Top end has sizzle without being over the top. Bass response and fullness is there but with a mid oriented vibe. Not a big, bellowing bass at all. Accentuates those upper harmonics. Bass is very tight and responsive.

Fane M65 X AV60 - **- Fairly balanced palette with definitive, mids - More forgiving

Fane M65 X AV60 - ****- Fairly balanced palette with definitive, mids - More forgiving. Tight - focused - full bodied.

Wow. This pairing is even better with the cabinet open. A lot of dimension, depth, sweetness, and clarity. First set of speakers I could have left the knobs alone and been fine with. The 2 speakers compliment each other so very well. There is the added snap and sizzle from the V30, combined with the mid forward, rounded high of the M. The two blend together to make a sound that is in the middle - not too bright, not too dark. Not too round, not too sharp. Works equally well for cleans and gain laden lead or rhythm. This combination should be the ticket for anyone who is looking for a mixed pair of speakers. I couldn't imagine it blending any better than this right here but....the testing must go on! UPDATE: This combo really, really kills. It is probably the mix people are looking for when they are looking to put two speakers together overall. I find this sound gives more body to the notes than the M65/75 combination without being too much. there is something tha tis in the upper mids that had more body with the 60 in there. You can really play with this dials on this one, whereas many other combinations have to be dialed in. The effects are still there and have a decently broad soundscape, albeit, slightly more focused due to the decreased Bass/Treble that is very pushed in the 75. This leads to a clear, thick effect, but not as broad in the dimension due to the tightened low and high end. The notes seem to always kind of do what you want here as far as the guitar tonality itself though so, overall I'd say this is the winner currently, if there could be one.

Fane M65 solo

This speaker sounds really good alone in a closed or open back scenario. the mid forward sweetness and nature are always present but the speaker is very clear in almost every area. A very tight bass that can bloom if you crank it up a bit. I really, really love this speaker. I think it may be one of the best made ever. 2 of these may sound great in a cabinet. Would they sound as good a the AV60 combo? Only one way to find out! (Future review)

Fane M65 X AV75 - **- A lot of everything. Overall, well balanced. - Less forgiving

Fane M65 X AV75 - **- A lot of everything. Overall, well balanced. - Less forgiving

Before starting - hopes are not high. Let's see if I am wrong! Yeah, I was WAY wrong. The pairing goes much better in an open back cabinet. It's almost a night and day difference. This works together in very much the same vein as the AV60 combination actually. We get the 75 filling out some places of the 65 and vice versa. The top end still has a certain extended nature to it that could be grating in certain amplifiers I could imagine. That being said - well balanced overall with a tight feel and nature to the tone. Everything feels tight. Very clear. Almost a bit stiff feeling but not quite. The AV60 combinations adds a little bit more squish in the mid section, whereas this feels like it has more clarity in a way. Anyway, definitely a way better mix than at first. I could see people favoring this or the AV60, depending on their mood/amp. I'd say that this combination may be a little more amp specific in nature, but overall has a very, very high level of sound with a lot of depth and dimension. Big soundstage. Not as huge of a soundstage as the AV75s paired together present, but still pretty dang large. It will be tough to figure out which works best for me now...this was definitely a curve ball after the closed back testing. This may actually be my favorite vs the M65/AV60. The AV75s alone pair really well together too. Tough decisions here!

When testing effects, due to the nature of cable capcitance, the high end is even sweeter, and more bearable on the 65/75 mix. The effects have a thick, clear, warm sound with a very long lasting resonance and wide sound stage. Dave was right! I will try this out against the 60 again to see which I like best for the Rivera. Whatever is left will be dealt out amongst my other 2x12 vertical closed/sealed back and my oversized closed back 1x12.

Last edited:
@ChuggNorris Lemme know when you get that AV60 in! Lol I don't think you will be disappointed. I was able to crank the low and high end and presence with the M65/60 combo without worry that anything would get too out of control.

A 'Summary of Summaries' as it were:

This is the Neopolitan Ice Cream of setups to me, as in I could see someone arguing for each one of these flavors being best for them. All of these are the primary pairings I would use currently in an open or closed back scenario.

AV75 x AV75
In an open back cabinet, these are really something special. These speakers do need to be reigned in a bit in the top and bottom end for certain setups, but others just eat it up. The effects have such a huge soundstage here, and I have been able to get the knobs settled in for both a pleasing and large clean and heavy metal rhythm and lead. I may just have to leave these in my setup.

AV75 x M65
Very large soundstage, maybe as big as the AV75 x AV75 but has more mid focus to it and a certain type of upper mid presence, so it feels a bit tighter. Thick sounding but with enough presence and snap to cut through. Tighter than the AV75s together in a certain sense and can take more bass. Somehow, the low mid bass slap can feel a bit softer with drive in this setup, though the overall tone is still evry tight and clear. The mids are pushed here over the 'clear' midrange presented by the 75s alone. Less grind in certain areas for sure when using the drive but added in other places.

AV60 x M65
Smallest soundstage for effects of the three but tightest guitar tone of the three. The most guitar focused and midrich sound up and down the spectrum for the guitar tone itself. Bass can be dialed to 10 and not be out of control. The presence and treble knobs can be played with as well, as the focus is very much on the body of the guitar and effect tone and not so much those 'outter range' frequencies in the upper and lower sections. I could see this being someone's "go to" for recording, as I would imagine the guitar sits very well in the mix. The effects will sound present, and filled with warm mids but do not have a certain 3D wideness to them that is more appreciated in the room rather than in a recording. This combinations works well on both lead and clean. Probably the best and most balanced in a sense of the way the guitar itself projects but I still prefer the larger soundstage of one of the other combinations overall for what I do. Still, a really, really great combination here that really work to compliment one another well.

IMG_1085.webp

@Rising Farce thanks for that YT clip you posted of the AV75! After all of my playing and swapping, it is the perfect sounding speaker for me. I would probably not have made the push had I not heard that clip, then Dave confirmed it. The picking was as expected, considering your name....good stuff!!

nice testing and documentation!

i currently have a Mahalo 4x12 loaded with warehouse Invader 50s and ET 65s in an x pattern,
a v30 loaded orange 1x12
and a gh30 loaded 1x12

i’ve had oodles. here’s a great video discussing the keys:

Back