More Mike Morin

• Thread starter Thread starter alund
  • Start date Start date
Glad the amp went to a good home, Andy! I think you did a good job of capturing the tone. What speakers did you use?
Thanks Matt for helping. Huge community makes for a small accessible world. Just have to be willing to trust. Btw @Snave (I appreciate you on getting this done)

Also; there is not much to getting a good tone from this head. Just a few mins out of the box and I was able to go from plexi to A&C. Nothing in front. No effects. Just straight. I know a few folks here have said this but I’m beginning to agree that an amp should really be judged by the fact that it needs nothing to sound good. Mr Morin created a gem.

BTW For those of you who didn’t see the previous link that @PurityS.L.G (henry) posted-teased in a previous thread; here it is. He got to keep the amp for about a week after picking it up from snave prior to me sending a flight case. I was taking ZERO CHANCES with this item. Also I had no idea I was buying this from Snave. Figured it out after the fact by piecing together internet chatter. He had no idea who Henry was or me. I finally said…?Snave?

^^ non boosted

Boosted

@CrystalSky - I cannot answer that question. You will need an amp guy to answer. What I do know is an amp was brought to MM. and there was a list of things on the menu, like a Cambodian brothel. You pick and choose and bam. My suspect is- folks would say I want this BUT give a little of this or that…. MM was a modder. So he would try to make folks happy to create his name. I guess

Last edited:
Huh? How’s that? They all different?

They are. He generally had 3 seperate mods he would do, in general. But this also changed over the years due to music style changes and wants/needs for the player. He only made 10-12 of mine, and it is very very different than his standard gain mod for instance.

They are. He generally had 3 seperate mods he would do, in general. But this also changed over the years due to music style changes and wants/needs for the player. He only made 10-12 of mine, and it is very very different than his standard gain mod for instance.
Can you explain me more? Sorry if I sound dumb, that is because I am.

What is 10-12 for example? UPD: I thought 10-12 is mod name lol

Last edited:
Can you explain me more? Sorry if I sound dumb, that is because I am.

What is 10-12 for example?
Ves has the “head from hell”. 10-12 of those were ever made. That is a super uncommon amp. Mine is probably much more common.

Ves has the “head from hell”. 10-12 of those were ever made. That is a super uncommon amp. Mine is probably much more common.
Is there any list of what is what? Like head from hell is his utimate mod?

I’m sure a few folks here know. @Snave Do you still have that list of mods itemized that morin used to do ? As I said before; check it on the menu and bring the amp.

I’m sure a few folks here know. @Snave Do you still have that list of mods itemized that morin used to do ? As I said before; check it on the menu and bring the amp.
This is from around 1992. The mods he offered changed over time, but I'd imagine yours is the regular gain mod 1.

1992-Modifications-Price-List.jpg

1992-Modifications-Price-List-2.jpg

Is there any list of what is what? Like head from hell is his utimate mod?

According to Mike, yes only 10-12 were done like mine. He said it’s by far his most over the top mod. 2 extra preamp tubes, filter caps changed, extra transformer, the tone stack is reworked especially the midrange knob, active effects loop, 2 gains knobs that both pull out that change gain and tightness of the low end etc. it’s pretty wild, I think he said it was like 850 bucks or something at the time? I could be wrong.

Yeah, he just moved the circuit board and added a preamp daughter board to circumvent the limitations of PCB-mounted pots.

mbqqunxuirctoi2dvfgm.jpg

Thanks for explaining this, I always wondered why mine had this “extra pcb board” and what exactly it was for.

There’s a Morin combo near me but guy wants 3500. A modded 2203 2x12 you guys make me wanna put an offer on it

According to Mike, yes only 10-12 were done like mine. He said it’s by far his most over the top mod. 2 extra preamp tubes, filter caps changed, extra transformer, the tone stack is reworked especially the midrange knob, active effects loop, 2 gains knobs that both pull out that change gain and tightness of the low end etc. it’s pretty wild, I think he said it was like 850 bucks or something at the time? I could be wrong.
Give here pls 😊

Speed metal mod from that document scan sounds interesting...

Back