EVH 412 cabinet speaker question

• Thread starter Thread starter MetalHeart
  • Start date Start date
I can see that mix working well together.

It may have also been the cab I had at the time, but they were both bright and kind of lacking some midrange fullness. The Anniversary is of course still an open sounding speaker, not super midfocused like a greenback, but at least in the EVH cab it comes across as more balanced. It’s great especially for less gainy stuff.
I have the Marshall 1960BHW Cab that is Suppsedly similar to the EVH cab. It's 16ohm & i'm considering replacing 2 speakers with the EVH Greenbacks on top & the G12H30 on the bottom.

Hey brother,
How would you compare the (G12h) Heritage 75hz with the (G12h) Heritage 55hz ?
I have a cab loaded with English Anni’s and another with Heritage (G12h) 75hz, but I’ve never spent much time with the heritage, 55 Hz speakers.
I compared those and pretty much hated the Heritage G12H30 55Hz. The Heritage G12H30 75Hz sounds much better but it is still bright. And it’s bright at the very top, different than the G12H 75 Creamback which is bright but not as sparkley. The Creamback just screams/yells at you lol.

I compared those and pretty much hated the Heritage G12H30 55Hz. The Heritage G12H30 75Hz sounds much better but it is still bright. And it’s bright at the very top, different than the G12H 75 Creamback which is bright but not as sparkley. The Creamback just screams/yells at you lol.

Yep,
My buddy HATED the 55’s too.
He prefers the Heritage G12H 75’s

I like the heritage (G12H) 75s’s but I really can’t hear any difference between them and the English Made 70th anniversary speakers?! 🤔
Does anybody know if there is any difference?

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion........but I don't like the EVH 4x12. I had two of them and they were both flat and kind of scooped sounding. My 1960AX with UK greenbacks destroyed it in liveliness and punch. I even went as far as swapping the speakers between the cabs. The EVH got a little better with the standard greenbacks..........but still nothing like the Marshall. Even worse was the 1960AX with the EVH speakers. Goes to show how the cab itself is a big player. Maybe I just don't like straight cabs.

Unpopular opinion........but I don't like the EVH 4x12. I had two of them and they were both flat and kind of scooped sounding. My 1960AX with UK greenbacks destroyed it in liveliness and punch. I even went as far as swapping the speakers between the cabs. The EVH got a little better with the standard greenbacks..........but still nothing like the Marshall. Even worse was the 1960AX with the EVH speakers. Goes to show how the cab itself is a big player. Maybe I just don't like straight cabs.
Same here. Finally ditched the EVH Greenbacks and the cab came alive. I'm currently running T75's on bottom and M65's up top. I will admit, those EVH speakers sounded great when I had it paired with a 5153 50w.

The EVH Celestion in the 412s are the same speakers as the G12M20 Heritage that isn't made anymore. The cheaper way to buy the Heritage 20M was to buy the EVH version....only difference is the stripes on the magnet cover vs the normal Greenback cover on the Heritage that listed it as made in England, 20w etc etc.
For a while the Heritage M20 was 199 apiece; while the EVH version was 149.

I should add that the EVH 212s have the H30 anniversary, afaik. And the Iconic cabs have a budget speaker of some type....the 412 is the way to go. They are great Greenbacks that sound killer with my vintage Marshalls...and of course any of the EVH line.
They are killer cabs, and probably the best value for a 4x12. My brother had the EVH 6L6 50 watt and that 4x12, and I'd bring different heads over and that cab never sounded bad no matter what head I plugged into it. Great with Marshalls.

Before I was using the 5150 3 el34 50 watt with Marshall 212 w/scumbacks (M55 PVC /H75 ) and then a old Randall cab with V30s.
with the EVH cab its like a blanket has been lifted off. Its like the missing link with this head.
Im glad I made this purchase.

I have an EVH and a 1960BX that I run together. The BX is a touch brighter but they sound great together to me. I could live with either one. But I can see your point. Slant cabs have something different in the room.

Last edited:
I prefer slants as well. Coming from playing weekends for 30+ years, it's just much easier to hear myself with a slant cab. Straights bring the deeper lows so I do have a few of them...but mostly play through my slant cabs.

I recently replaced the tubes (valves) in my EVH 5150 III 50 6L6 and took the opportunity to bump the bias up to 60% which made a huge difference in how it sounded through the H30 anni speakers. It was warmer, rounder and more significantly, less harsh.

The previous and original power tubes were very cold at closer to 45% which explains some of the brightness and relatively sterile sound I was hearing. The new tubes were a little hotter when swapped directly but still showed that degree of brightness.

Based on the ‘old’ sound I was considering swapping the speakers and even bought 2 EVH speakers, but have no need to swap anything now.

I was worried about the loss of volume going from the H30’s to EVH and now I don’t need to be concerned.

I’m running the speakers in a Budda cabinet.

Back