How do I remove the tremolo arm assembly from a 1984 Floyd Rose?

• Thread starter Thread starter 3DayPhunk
  • Start date Start date
3DayPhunk
3DayPhunk
I'm trying to replace the screw-in tremolo arm assembly of a 1984 Floyd Rose with a push in style Floyd arm. I'm struggling trying to unscrew and remove the assembly! It doesn't have an allen screw. I've been using a 12mm deep socket on one side and a wrench on the other and I've loosened it a little but can't seem to loosen it any more. What the hell am I doing wrong?!

Here's a picture (not actually mine) of the type I'm talking about where it's partially rounded:

s-l1600.webp

I don’t that grommet housing is meant to come off.

Last edited:
I don’t that grommet housing is meant to come off.
It does and has to if you're going to put in a push in trem arm. I was able to easily get it off once I removed the floyd from the guitar. I was being stubborn trying to do it while it was on the guitar.

It does and has to if you're going to put in a push in trem arm. I was able to easily get it off once I removed the floyd from the guitar. I was being stubborn trying to do it while it was on the guitar.
I don’t think that the housing is made to come apart. It’s permanently pressed together by a machine press. You’ll either need to clamp it in vice and drill it out like a rivet or cut with a hacksaw or small Dremel grinding bit.

I don’t think that the housing is made to come apart. It’s permanently pressed together by a machine press. You’ll either need to clamp it in vice and drill it out like a rivet or cut with a hacksaw or small Dremel grinding bit.
I already got it off, came off easily once I removed the floyd from the guitar. I've got the new push in arm installed and am good to go thanks.

I already got it off, came off easily once I removed the floyd from the guitar. I've got the new push in arm installed and am good to go thanks.
Glad it worked out for you. I did it to mine and while it came out, it stripped off a big chunk of the plating along with it.

I do dig the battle scarred look, though

It is absolutely meant to come off. Please do not drill/dremel/hacksaw a vintage floyd

There's a reason they all used to come with these 11mm wrenches:
wzue2xgdy4eaifstabd3.jpg

I guess in the modern age you don't get that anymore due to cost cutting, but that's how you remove the socket.

It is absolutely meant to come off. Please do not drill/dremel/hacksaw a vintage floyd

View attachment 337803

I guess in the modern age you don't get that anymore due to cost cutting, but that's how you remove the socket.
“Vintage Floyd”… that’s a stretch. It’s not a fabrigé egg! As a matter of fact it’s the worst guitar acoutriment ever invented, and not surprising why only about 2% of players use a Floyd - the tiniest of niche markets. It’s a joke to maintain and tune, it’s serves only one purpose- to dive-bomb, which fits the style of about 10players, mostly metal and shred, which isn’t very appealing to the majority of audiences. Blues and jazz players won’t come anywhere near it. It’s really is just about useless - th guitar version of the impossible burger. 🍔
Irony is that it’s so “valuable” but yet probably sucks so badly that OP wants to modify it..

🍿

Last edited:

View attachment 337803

The 1984? They give you a smaller flimsier one. Didn't take pics of it, but it's like something you'd get from an IKEA order.

Sorry - is this a 1984 Floyd Rose - as in, from the year 1984?

Or a recent reissue?

“Vintage Floyd”… that’s a stretch. It’s not a fabrigé egg! As a matter of fact it’s the worst guitar acoutriment ever invented, and not surprising why only about 2% of players use a Floyd - the tiniest of niche markets. It’s a joke to maintain and tune, it’s serves only one purpose- to dive-bomb, which fits the style of about 10players, mostly metal and shred, which isn’t very appealing to the majority of audiences. Blues and jazz players won’t come anywhere near it. It’s really is just about useless - th guitar version of the impossible burger. 🍔
Irony is that it’s so “valuable” but yet probably sucks so badly that OP wants to modify it..

🍿

Nice bait lol

Back