Straightening output transformer brackets.

• Thread starter Thread starter marshallmel
  • Start date Start date
marshallmel
marshallmel
So I just got one of my super leads back from Friedman today, and as luck would have it, FedEx managed to fuck up my amp. Can those ears be bent back into shape so this thing will sit straight again or is it forever crooked?

So I just got one of my super leads back from Friedman today, and as luck would have it, FedEx managed to fuck up my amp. Can those ears be bent back into shape so this thing will sit straight again or is it forever crooked?
You can bend them back. Sometimes you can just grab the transformer by hand and push it back. You might need to remove the mounting bolts and use pliers though which can be a pain if the transformer is covered by the board.

Proper way is to unsolder the connections and use a vise or similar tool to make it nice and straight. Not always practical and takes time, though. You can try to do it on the chassis, but be careful you don't stress the chassis too much. Double-check all hardware to make sure it's secure after attempting to bend it back. For what it's worth, the bend is 100% cosmetic.

I’m probably going to leave it. I’m aware it’s only cosmetic but it pisses me off. Just had Dave clean everything up and redo the sloppy master that was in there.

Very common. Tbis can happen with heavy iron, and juat having it be on its side at the right time. Doesnt mean they fucked it up.

Just loosen the mounting bolts/screws or take them all the way out and gently force the tabs back into place. Sometimes leaving one side seated and sorta massaging the thing to force the bend where it needs to be wil get it close.

Worse case scenario put 2 stainless washers on the low side and voila it's even again and nobody will ever know 💯

Happened to me this week too ....
IMG_20240910_130751~2.jpg

I just had one show up like this. I had them bent back in place by the builder. Luckily it made its way back OK. Sounded just fine bent so I don't think it's a must.
IMG_2529.jpeg

Although it's purely cosmetic, this is one of my pet peeves when it comes to shipping amps. When I ship one, I always wedge something like tape wrapped Styrofoam, etc. between the top of the transformer and the bottom of the head shell to take up that empty space and help keep it from moving like that.

How long did the work take?
I long for the day I receive an email from Dave saying my amp is ready...

For the transformers to move that much it makes you wonder how the headshell and chassis held up to that hit.

Happened to my PRS HDRX head when I moved from Long Island to South Carolina. Had it in a padded head cover too. Alot that helped.
The tranny was bent. 2 brackets were yanked right out of the chassis. Even had I been able to bend it back, the screw holes were stripped. Surprisingly it worked, but every time I looked at it, I’d see that bent tranny. I grew to hate the amp. If I had explosives I would have blew it up on July 4th. Finally I came up with the “final solution” I slept like a baby not thinking about that bent tranny anymore.

1726160110891.jpeg

Back