Amp + Captor - best option for Dynir Cabs

• Thread starter Thread starter jbraner
  • Start date Start date
J
jbraner
Hi all,
As stated - I'm running my amp to a Captor (not X) and then into a preamp and then my audio i/f.
This works great - and I use Genome (formerly used WOS) for cabs.
Sounds good 😉

Ths thing is - in the "real" world you'd run through the cabs *before* the preamp/audio i/f.
Maybe this is a moot point and not worth thinking about (any suggestions?)
but otherwise what's the best solution for running through cabs before the preamp?

Opus?
If so - this won't hook in to Genome will it?
So I'd need to run Captor Remote on my (Windows) PC - rather than Genome?

I've moved my WOS settings etc into Genome - so it feels like a step backwards to go to Captor Remote.
Plus I'd want to leave Genome set up - in case I just run straight in to the PC (to use amp sims).

Am I missing anything? Or does it make more sense to just stay where I am?

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi all,
As stated - I'm running my amp to a Captor (not X) and then into a preamp and then my audio i/f.
This works great - and I use Genome (formerly used WOS) for cabs.
Sounds good 😉

Ths thing is - in the "real" world you'd run through the cabs *before* the preamp/audio i/f.
Maybe this is a moot point and not worth thinking about (any suggestions?)
but otherwise what's the best solution for running through cabs before the preamp?

Opus?
If so - this won't hook in to Genome will it?
So I'd need to run Captor Remote on my (Windows) PC - rather than Genome?

I've moved my WOS settings etc into Genome - so it feels like a step backwards to go to Captor Remote.
Plus I'd want to leave Genome set up - in case I just run straight in to the PC (to use amp sims).

Am I missing anything? Or does it make more sense to just stay where I am?

Thanks for any ideas.
Ross from Two notes here. Good question!

In short, it depends on the preamps you are using. Most pre's on audio interfaces are transparent and therefore should not colour the tone - however if you are using something a little more exotic, you may find a little colouration. However, I personally have not noticed anything amiss using my Neve or TLA preamps so I dont think you run the risk of any routing issues here! If you have any other questions, let me know!

Hi Ross,

It's a (Warm audio) Neve clone - definitely not colouring a whole lot. So it makes sense to just leave things as they are?

Hi Ross,

It's a (Warm audio) Neve clone - definitely not colouring a whole lot. So it makes sense to just leave things as they are?
Thanks for getting back to me - Oh nice! I havent used these before but I have heard good things. You should be absolutely fine here - although if your interface has a line input you could try running straight into this and see which you prefer! If you need anything else, let me know!

Thanks Ross - no I was just thinking about how in "real life" you go through amp -> cab -> mic -> then preamp -- but this is nowhere near "real life" anymore ;)

Thanks Ross - no I was just thinking about how in "real life" you go through amp - cab - mic - then preamp -- but this last nowhere near "real life" anymore ;)
No problem at all - it's always good to check in for sure!

Back