💰 Preferred Selling Methods/Payments? 📊

Where + How do you prefer to get paid for selling tube amps?

• Reverb

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • eBay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rig Talk

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Paypal Friends & Family

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Payal Goods & Services

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Venmo

• Zelle

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The GearPage

• Local Cash Only

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
ChuggNorris
ChuggNorris
Banned
So I'm curious how everyone feels about the current selling & payment options.

I was discussing a sell, and while this is controversial sometimes because of scams I see a few things.

Paypal goods & services charges 3% while holding funds for 7 up to 21 days after delivery. This to me, can open a can of worms if the buyer is not a stand up person and decides to hassle PayPal, which could possibly leave you with no access to funds and your amp sitting in someone's bedroom 9 states away. And they 1099 people.

Paypal f&f is the quickest way to get paid but runs the risk of the seller backing out and you'd probably have to file a claim to get that back.

Ebay ends up with about 13% after all is said and done on anything up to 7500. I have used ebay alot in the past for small things and a couple of guitars also.

Reverb has increased their fees also since I last Used them and are rights about the same as ebay after the dust settles. Seems to attract the most buyer interest though because they offer buyers affirm financing to buyers.

Then there's Venmo & Zelle linked to banks.

Not sure if cashapp has changed much over the years.

I was a bit taken back at some of this, the fees and holding funds seem like a real hassle waiting to happen. I wouldn't feel comfortable shipping a 3,000$ amp without funds. That's just me. I feel there are too many variables that can go wrong and the amp IS the collateral in the equation which you surrender with nothing in hand and a hope the shipper & buyer don't abuse anything.

I’ve done all of the above. For me, if I know the person casually (even on a forum) or have had good experiences dealing with them in the past I am okay with doing things over Zelle/FF where neither party really has recourse. If I’ve never done a deal with the person and they have no one I trust vouching for them I’ll do something with fees and protection for both parties. If I don’t know the person period and it’s through reverb or eBay I just sell through there and price according to basically split the fees between the buyer and seller.

I wish there was a better way across the board but everything has compromises unfortunately.

Cash, zelle, or ff if I’m selling to someone that can complete a coherent sentence. If they act suspicious I’ll deny the sell outright.

Venmo is PayPal. Same company but different name for idiots.

If any party is not well known or new to a forum and they’re selling, I’m mandating PayPal goods and services for me to purchase. You have to work up to zelle or PayPal ff when shipping is involved. That’s not something that anyone should allow when no prior selling or purchase history exists. Just because you’re a member who posts it doesn’t mean anything. Fatbagg was a regular and scammed a ton of people.

90% of what I sell is local. I prefer cash, but will accept PayPal if discussed in advance. I'm not set up for any other electronic payments.

I only sell small items like pedals or pickups online these days, I'll take whatever PayPal method the buyer is comfortable with.

Here or TGP, I only buy from established forum sellers. This becomes more important as the price goes up.

I stopped selling on Reverb since they started taxing and I only accept PayPal friends and family ever since I started getting a 1099k.

I've been around forums long enough and provide any info a potential buyer asks for and respond quickly. If they are still not comfortable with friends and family then they miss out.

It's wrong for a blues player to accept anything other than cash payments, so, cash payment only, thanks.

I stopped selling on Reverb since they started taxing and I only accept PayPal friends and family ever since I started getting a 1099k.

I've been around forums long enough and provide any info a potential buyer asks for and respond quickly. If they are still not comfortable with friends and family then they miss out.

Reverb used to be the titts.
I did like 150 or so deals there.
I stopped when the fees got dumb and I also realized it was actually feeding my addiction and at one point I was going in debt due to a lack of self control and having a reverb account. Taking a loss on every amp just to pay more for another amp, with multiple amps at a time... multiple times in short spans at some point I just had to step away from the revolving door. And the tax thing, I don't do taxes. The government can gtfo.

That's what Id base on, I mean everyone has to get their foot in the door on a forum. Or establish a reputation so its sometimes hard to Guage that. I've done posted my mug on this place and an amp sale wouldn't be worth diluting the badassery that I've brought to this forum during my second coming.

I'm not cool with the PayPal G&S because I've seen where a seller gets boinked. Funds tied up for long periods. And I can't imagine having an expensive amp just chilling while you're dicking with PayPal and a buyer who went south on it. That would be sickening.

I think it's fair to exchange some information, possibly social media stuff too. I can't bring myself to give PayPal $100 and also wait for funds hoping a buyer isn't going to shit the bed and also expect a 1099 which I would wipe my ass with.

Cash, zelle, or ff if I’m selling to someone that can complete a coherent sentence. If they act suspicious I’ll deny the sell outright.

Venmo is PayPal. Same company but different name for idiots.

If any party is not well known or new to a forum and they’re selling, I’m mandating PayPal goods and services for me to purchase. You have to work up to zelle or PayPal ff when shipping is involved. That’s not something that anyone should allow when no prior selling or purchase history exists. Just because you’re a member who posts it doesn’t mean anything. Fatbagg was a regular and scammed a ton of people.

I didn't know about venmo PayPal connection. I am usually on cashapp locally if not cash. Or PayPal f&f. I have a Zelle but haven't used it more than 3 times and that was because the other party only had Zelle anyway.

I also think it's wise if using friends and family to use a source that can be disputed at the original payment source. Aka a credit card or a bank linked to paypal. Seems like they will generally allow you to dispute a friends and family purchase regardless if PayPal covers it or not.

And that can save you if you actually do end up getting a scam sale on friends and family. 🤔

I only sell here, TGP, Facebook or local on CL

Online I give a price that includes shipping and payment by a non-fee method. If a buyer wants a fee method, no problem, just cover the fee.

Whatever you sell, pack it properly. I’m very hesitant to buy used anymore because most people can’t pack properly (even when they think they packed it well) and I don’t want to deal with receiving something that’s fucked up.

I've been using zelle, but only for small items here and there... I just inboxed you on your speakers you have listed.

I've been using zelle, but only for small items here and there... I just inboxed you on your speakers you have listed.

I think zelle let's you see other transactions of the specific users zelle also, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe that's another one. But yep, got it. Reply otw.

I only sell here, TGP, Facebook or local on CL

Online I give a price that includes shipping and payment by a non-fee method. If a buyer wants a fee method, no problem, just cover the fee.

Whatever you sell, pack it properly. I’m very hesitant to buy used anymore because most people can’t pack properly (even when they think they packed it well) and I don’t want to deal with receiving something that’s fucked up.

This is true... by far the most damaged item I've recieved have been speakers. Bent frames like probably 50% of the time. It's like people don't know how easy it is to bend a speaker lip if you don't have a fully padded box. I always ASSUME that whoever is shipping my package is going to have a bad day and kick the shit to the buyers doorstep. More people should probably assume the same since we've all recieved it this way many times. Then there was the dude who sent me straight up dry rotted vented T75s advertised as "excellent condition". Cones rubbed. And packed in a flimsy box with literally some crumpled up paper. And then you got the ones who have bubble wrap sticking directly to the speaker doping 🤦🏻‍♂️👎

So I'm curious how everyone feels about the current selling & payment options.

I was discussing a sell, and while this is controversial sometimes because of scams I see a few things.

Paypal goods & services charges 3% while holding funds for 7 up to 21 days after delivery. This to me, can open a can of worms if the buyer is not a stand up person and decides to hassle PayPal, which could possibly leave you with no access to funds and your amp sitting in someone's bedroom 9 states away. And they 1099 people.

Paypal f&f is the quickest way to get paid but runs the risk of the seller backing out and you'd probably have to file a claim to get that back.

Ebay ends up with about 13% after all is said and done on anything up to 7500. I have used ebay alot in the past for small things and a couple of guitars also.

Reverb has increased their fees also since I last Used them and are rights about the same as ebay after the dust settles. Seems to attract the most buyer interest though because they offer buyers affirm financing to buyers.

Then there's Venmo & Zelle linked to banks.

Not sure if cashapp has changed much over the years.

I was a bit taken back at some of this, the fees and holding funds seem like a real hassle waiting to happen. I wouldn't feel comfortable shipping a 3,000$ amp without funds. That's just me. I feel there are too many variables that can go wrong and the amp IS the collateral in the equation which you surrender with nothing in hand and a hope the shipper & buyer don't abuse anything.
I usually prefer in-person with cash. Craigslist is nice 'cause often I can get a hold of the person on the phone and arrange to meet same-day before the GAS wears off. If I were to buy/ship PPFF, it would likely be through a shipping company like Pirateship with documented cases of insurance paying out. I thought I heard something about shipping companies doing pay-on-pickup as well, might need to look into that.

I didn't feel like anyone actually sold their amps if y'all look at the amp stable thread :ROFLMAO:

Eventually... I put the amp ego down and realized the only people who actually cared was going to be other dudes on a gear forum. And while it looks impressive... it's just hoarding of a different type to me now. I'm good with 3-4 now.

When I was buying up all those amps it was before Ola England blew up and amp demos were on every other channel. Now it's almost too trendy for me I dunno 🤷🤦🏻‍♂️

I only ever play 2 at a time.

I have other expensive hobbies too.
Ever since my band slowed down I kind of "let go" of the burden of always having "All these impressive amps" and it's been freeing.

Last edited:
Well yes you can sell your amps but occasionally a individual amp just sounds good or right. Magical actually. Sure you could always buy a other one. But it's never going to sound like the one you sold.
I sold a few I wish I still had. The Red Park 100 watt comes to mind. It was like part plexi part tweed.
Anyway c'est la vie.

Back