🤓 Tone Nerd Pickups? 👊BKP Polymath/Silo? MOJOtone Hornet Gen II? 🔥Hellbender?

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
ChuggNorris
ChuggNorris
Seem cool from what I've seen.
Getting the pickup itch again...

Was scoping the BK Polymath & Silo
But stumbled onto the Tone Nerd page.

I'm interested in trying the Roxy or The Whiskey.

And also have a mojotone sledgehammer so was scoping the Hellbender and PW hornet 2.

Anyone have experience with any of these particular models & care to share?

Polymath is one I'm thinking about for my PRS 594, haven't bought yet.

I put Silos in a PRS CU24 and it was like magic, brought in some much needed low end and they are winners.

Heard nothing but praise for Tone Nerd, there's a thread here about his move to Japan and I believe he's spinning back up now.

And also have a mojotone sledgehammer so was scoping the Hellbender and PW hornet 2.

Dont have those models, but @scottosan made me a wicked 8 and it sent my ironman packing. Been in my guitar about 2 years i think. Wont go anywhere. Fucking amazing

I’ve got a CE22 loaded with Polymaths and a PRS Baritone with Silos. While the two aren’t worlds apart, the Silo edges out in the low and low-mid frequencies. That said, the Polymath neck is one of the best BKPs I’ve played, and overall, the feel on the Polymath set is a touch better. Also split coil sounds on the Polymath rock. Can’t go wrong with either.

I’m trying hard to get back into production. I was not happy with the locally sourced 44awg wire. I’m literally days from getting getting the some 44awg poly wire to start putting out some high output options

Dont have those models, but @scottosan made me a wicked 8 and it sent my ironman packing. Been in my guitar about 2 years i think. Wont go anywhere. Fucking amazing

What do you like about it vs the Iron Man that made you come to this understanding??

I have a Roxy and a Psykes and they're both spectacular.
Roxy and Psykes are my main HB pickups in all my guitars

What are you guys personal opinions on the differences? And what were you playing before switching to Tone Nerd?

Iron man is an awesome pickup. And it was my mainstsy forever. The wicked 8 was extremely clear and just on the edge if insane. They are both great pickups. But the wicked 8 is part of my guitar.

Polymath is one I'm thinking about for my PRS 594, haven't bought yet.

I put Silos in a PRS CU24 and it was like magic, brought in some much needed low end and they are winners.

Heard nothing but praise for Tone Nerd, there's a thread here about his move to Japan and I believe he's spinning back up now.

I didn't know he was in Japan now, interesting. He may need to update the handmade in USA and stuff on the website currently lol.

Silo has more of a Low mid bump and the Polymath is flatter eq wise. Heard good things about tone nerd stuff as well

Do you ever find the low mids to be stuffy with a silo through something like a herbert? I'm sure they sound great through marshall voiced amps but slightly concerned about the extra low/low mid in some applications. Where as I'd think I could dial in a little more with the poly.

I’ve got a CE22 loaded with Polymaths and a PRS Baritone with Silos. While the two aren’t worlds apart, the Silo edges out in the low and low-mid frequencies. That said, the Polymath neck is one of the best BKPs I’ve played, and overall, the feel on the Polymath set is a touch better. Also split coil sounds on the Polymath rock. Can’t go wrong with either.

The baritone scale probably accentuates that also. I've heard in clips and discussions on YouTube align with what you both say about the low and low mids being a little more prominent in the silo. And that concerns me slightly. I want clarity and dynamics first and foremost.

Iron man is an awesome pickup. And it was my mainstsy forever. The wicked 8 was extremely clear and just on the edge if insane. They are both great pickups. But the wicked 8 is part of my guitar.

I feel this way about my alnico 8 mojotone sledgehammer. The only tiny issue is I usually have to turn my tone pot (usually dont have one after I rewire a guitar) but I tend to turn it down about 2 notches out of 10 to take that extended presence of the A8 out. It is the loudest pickup I have also. Great bass and mids but wish the very top edge was a bit less. It is one of my favorite pickups I've ever used and I don't think there are any other white sledgehammers floating around.

It feels noticeably different than my black winter guitar which I play the most. It has slightly more give under the fingers but I also sometimes wish that upper precense was taken down a notch in the black winter also. Everything else about that pickup has been incredible. Grinding mids and punchy bass. It makes my sh6 sound like a Lil bunny rabbit when switching guitars. More clarity overall too.

Last edited:
I feel this way about my Ceramic 8 mojotone sledgehammer. The only tiny issue is I usually have to turn my tone pot (usually dont have one after I rewire a guitar) but I tend to turn it down about 2 notches out of 10 to take that extended presence of the C8 out. It is the loudest pickup I have also. Great bass and mids but wish the very top edge was a bit less. It is one of my favorite pickups I've ever used and I don't think there are any other white sledgehammers floating around.

It feels noticeably different than my black winter guitar which I play the most. It has slightly more give under the fingers but I also sometimes wish that upper precense was taken down a notch in the black winter also. Everything else about that pickup has been incredible. Grinding mids and punchy bass. It makes my sh6 sound like a Lil bunny rabbit when switching guitars. More clarity overall too.
The wicked 8, i sometimes roll the volume back very slightly because it has that much gain. You can almost use it like that normal, then roll it up for single note shit.

I’m trying hard to get back into production. I was not happy with the locally sourced 44awg wire. I’m literally days from getting getting the some 44awg poly wire to start putting out some high output options

So how does this move affect the old pickups like the Roxy and Psykes ?? I read in that thread where you moved that @Warmart mentioned. And saw you were changing some things...

For the record... my main 3 and current favorite pickups are (mahagony Vs & singlecuts) maybe this helps with what I'm looking for in some way while exploring....

***Black Winter ***
-Love everything about this except sometimes I feel it can be just slightly harsh with the tippy top frequencies. Its not overbearing persay, but it can be if not careful up there. Feels great. Snarling mids which I usually dial for and love. Percussive but full low end. And it responds well to my playing. Chunky, grindy, and a clear sounding pickup overall. This is what sent my sh6 to the Nether realm. This feels like the lowest output pickup out of the 3 (not saying it needs more, just comparing to the others, I like it)

***Mojotone Sledgehammer ***
-Big sounding and typical alnico 8 character. Extended bass, strong mids, and a little icey in the upper registers. I generally have to turn my tone pot back to 8 to take that edge off the top because it gets to my ears after. Sometimes even 7 depending what soeakers and amp. I think I have slight tinnitus these days also. Some higher frequencies absolutely make my ear drums twitch and hurt for days afterwards if exposed for too long to certain highs. This pickup sent my BKP miracle man away many years ago. It's what id describe as powerful overall. Pummeling lows and tons of body. Maybe a bit over-wound for what I want out of an alnicon 8 style pickup?

***C-warpig BKP ***
-Compressed feeling, full bodied. Different attack but still very much dynamic and isnt muddy by any means. Dark but brutal. I wish the black winter and the mojotone had the less harsh/stiff highs/precense "character" of this pickup. It's very pleasing to the ear even after extended periods. I do wish it had a little more percussiveness overall if anything (black winter-ish). The compression is interesting and probably why it never fatigues the ear.

They all handle my tuning and strings fine. Usually around Standard C with 60 these days.
I use one guitar in drop B with 68 (sledgehammer)

Edit:
I don't need a super high output pickup and prefer dynamics over loss of clarity. I pick heavily and get a strong attack usually. But I also don't like an anemic weak pickup that will shit the bed with my preferred tunings and String choices. Don't mind stiff feeling but do enjoy just the right amount of give (black winter seems to do this nicely)

Edit:
I don't give 2 shits about leads. I don't enjoy shredding and it hurts my ears hearing anyone else do it unless it's very compressed and not shrill. Even then it's just annoying. Heavy dynamic rythem only over here 💀🔨

I might be leaning toward the Roxy on all this.
Thoughts & opinions?

Last edited:
I didn't know he was in Japan now, interesting. He may need to update the handmade in USA and stuff on the website currently lol.

Do you ever find the low mids to be stuffy with a silo through something like a herbert? I'm sure they sound great through marshall voiced amps but slightly concerned about the extra low/low mid in some applications. Where as I'd think I could dial in a little more with the poly.

The baritone scale probably accentuates that also. I've heard in clips and discussions on YouTube align with what you both say about the low and low mids being a little more prominent in the silo. And that concerns me slightly. I want clarity and dynamics first and foremost.
Silos work well with thick amps as well- plenty of note clarity still. I personally love lundgrens for super fast rhythm tracking though

Silos work well with thick amps as well- plenty of note clarity still. I personally love lundgrens for super fast rhythm tracking though

I really wish they offered better customization. I can't stand a basic black pickup. Trivial? Maybe. I had to twist legs and arms with the guys at mojotone to get them to get me a white bobbin sledgehammer because theh didn't offer it at the time and never did.. before not offering the pickup anymore eventually. Thats one thing about SD, BKP, and even Dimarzio I really appreciate. That's kept me from trying a lundgren m6 and also the arcane stuff. I tend to want to customize all my shit and haven't been able to look past the black bobbins or emg looking covers. 🤦🏻‍♂️

What do you like about it vs the Iron Man that made you come to this understanding??

What are you guys personal opinions on the differences? And what were you playing before switching to Tone Nerd?

Differences between those two tonenerd pickups? or differences between the roxy and psykes and the pickups that were in their respective guitars before?

I've used the roxy in half a dozen guitars, and generally use it in situations where I would normally use a Wagner Godwood but want more output and heat, but want to retain the tight low end and "sparkle" that it has on high gain tones. The roxy is the hottest alnico pickup i've ever used that "breathes" and doesnt get mushy on the low mids.

The psykes is a much more specific thing, I have it in one guitar that I use for thrash - and it has a metric fuckton of low end but absolutely fucks. It's basically the nicest vintage dirty fingers you will ever try, and will absolutely nail "Ride the lightning" type tone.

I'm really picky about pickups though, alot of the popular stuff on RT drives me insane and I can't stand using - JB, Dimarzio anything, etc

So how does this move affect the old pickups like the Roxy and Psykes ?? I read in that thread where you moved that @Warmart mentioned. And saw you were changing some things...

For the record... my main 3 and current favorite pickups are (mahagony Vs & singlecuts) maybe this helps with what I'm looking for in some way while exploring....

***Black Winter ***
-Love everything about this except sometimes I feel it can be just slightly harsh with the tippy top frequencies. Its not overbearing persay, but it can be if not careful up there. Feels great. Snarling mids which I usually dial for and love. Percussive but full low end. And it responds well to my playing. Chunky, grindy, and a clear sounding pickup overall. This is what sent my sh6 to the Nether realm. This feels like the lowest output pickup out of the 3 (not saying it needs more, just comparing to the others, I like it)

***Mojotone Sledgehammer ***
-Big sounding and typical alnico 8 character. Extended bass, strong mids, and a little icey in the upper registers. I generally have to turn my tone pot back to 8 to take that edge off the top because it gets to my ears after. Sometimes even 7 depending what soeakers and amp. I think I have slight tinnitus these days also. Some higher frequencies absolutely make my ear drums twitch and hurt for days afterwards if exposed for too long to certain highs. This pickup sent my BKP miracle man away many years ago. It's what id describe as powerful overall. Pummeling lows and tons of body. Maybe a bit over-wound for what I want out of an alnicon 8 style pickup?

***C-warpig BKP ***
-Compressed feeling, full bodied. Different attack but still very much dynamic and isnt muddy by any means. Dark but brutal. I wish the black winter and the mojotone had the less harsh/stiff highs/precense "character" of this pickup. It's very pleasing to the ear even after extended periods. I do wish it had a little more percussiveness overall if anything (black winter-ish). The compression is interesting and probably why it never fatigues the ear.

They all handle my tuning and strings fine. Usually around Standard C with 60 these days.
I use one guitar in drop B with 68 (sledgehammer)

Edit:
I don't need a super high output pickup and prefer dynamics over loss of clarity. I pick heavily and get a strong attack usually. But I also don't like an anemic weak pickup that will shit the bed with my preferred tunings and String choices. Don't mind stiff feeling but do enjoy just the right amount of give (black winter seems to do this nicely)

Edit:
I don't give 2 shits about leads. I don't enjoy shredding and it hurts my ears hearing anyone else do it unless it's very compressed and not shrill. Even then it's just annoying. Heavy dynamic rythem only over here 💀🔨

I might be leaning toward the Roxy on all this.
Thoughts & opinions?
I am changing a few things such as bobbins, spacers, lead wire, and magnet wire. All othe metal parts and magnets are the same US sourced parts. The magnet wire was original going to be upgraded to the more expensive plain enamel instead of poly, but in my testing I am not satisfied with the results. I have poly wire due in this week unless the approaching typhoon delays things. I could have gotten pickups out a month and a half ago, had I not cared about the differences in tone, but I’m being very critical about any changes.

Last edited:

You have assessed the Silo appropriately here. I have a set that I run. Definitely is not what you are seeking, I can tell by the speaker search. Check out ToneNerd. I heard a set he posted recently that had to have been the best clip I have heard in a LP. Balanced, dynamic, not sticking out too much anywhere. Can't recall the name but that's what I would go for next. The Nailbombs sounded cool to me as well from BK but again, shapes the sound from the get go.

Back