🤓 Tone Nerd Pickups? 👊BKP Polymath/Silo? MOJOtone Hornet Gen II? 🔥Hellbender?

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
What do you like about it vs the Iron Man that made you come to this understanding??

What are you guys personal opinions on the differences? And what were you playing before switching to Tone Nerd?
I'll jump in and say, for the longest time the MCP Afwayu was my fav pup. It's similar to a Duncan Custom (to my ears anyway) but with MORE of everything I like about a Custom. But, after playing Scotts pickups I've sold the MCPs. The only pup I can honestly say is maybe a touch better than Scotts pups is an original Shaw DF. But, the Psyches is VERY close and for 1/3rd the cost...I have no problem using the Psyches. The differences between them are not 200$ worth let's just say.

I bought a Chubtone with Whiskeys and it is great. For reference my go to is the JB. Have not played any other ToneNerd's to compare though.

You have assessed the Silo appropriately here. I have a set that I run. Definitely is not what you are seeking, I can tell by the speaker search. Check out ToneNerd. I heard a set he posted recently that had to have been the best clip I have heard in a LP. Balanced, dynamic, not sticking out too much anywhere. Can't recall the name but that's what I would go for next. The Nailbombs sounded cool to me as well from BK but again, shapes the sound from the get go.

I went a speaker rampage years ago and had like 20 f*ckin speakers stacked around switching into cabs... eventually I just caved and said these things have to go I can't have this many speakers. I did the same with NOS tubes for a while. Still have alot of those. And to a slightly less degree the pickups. I've ordered 3 from BKP but then got into some Duncan's, then mojotone did the sledgehammer one. I Did try a manlius but it was just too damn weak and I put it in the disconnected neck position because it looks good there. The only reason I'm looking into speakers again is because I'm building a couple of cabs. And pickups is because I want to find the perfect one that makes me not need a variety of pickups and I can just go with it lol.

I am having a hard time finding a good sounding clip of the tone nerd pickups... lots of camera noodling which isn't getting the point across..

If I go BKP again I think it'll be the poly with the flatter eq curve.

I'll jump in and say, for the longest time the MCP Afwayu was my fav pup. It's similar to a Duncan Custom (to my ears anyway) but with MORE of everything I like about a Custom. But, after playing Scotts pickups I've sold the MCPs. The only pup I can honestly say is maybe a touch better than Scotts pups is an original Shaw DF. But, the Psyches is VERY close and for 1/3rd the cost...I have no problem using the Psyches. The differences between them are not 200$ worth let's just say.

I remember people used to be into those, remember the Detroiter being mentioned alot also in those threads.

I am changing a few things such as bobbins, spacers, lead wire, and magnet wire. All othe metal parts and magnets are the same US sourced parts. The magnet wire was original going to be upgraded to the more expensive plain enamel instead of poly, but in my testing I am not satisfied with the results. I have poly wire due in this week unless the approaching typhoon delays things. I could have getting pickup out a month and a half ago, had I not cared about the differences in tone, but I’m being very about any changes.

Okay but based on what i liked and didn't like about the pickups I mentioned... what in your line do you think would come closest?

Have you tried/checked out a Nazgul at all?
They're the first ones that have wowed me in a long time.
Similar to the Black Winter, but a bit less harsh up top and thicker grind while remaining very articulate with the lowest tunings, imo/ime.
I love them! I have a spare set of custom floor shop in red/black with f spaced bridge if you want to try.
I really want to try a Jupiter next. Also, when I say lowest tuning I mean that!
1726100731741.jpeg

Similar to the Black Winter, but a bit less harsh up top and thicker grind while remaining very articulate with the lowest tunings, imo/ime.
I love them! I have a spare set of custom floor shop in red/black with f spaced bridge if you want to try.
I really want to try a Jupiter next. Also, when I say lowest tuning I mean that!
View attachment 340929

Have not, I have looked into it briefly. I think wizardjp has some clips of one on YouTube if not mistaken. I also read polarizing reviews on them. Have you had the black winter? And in a 6 string?

I don't fuck with extended scales and super low tunings so that does have an impact on where the mids or other frequencies may sit or be perceived with different models in my opinion.

What sounds good on a 8 string tuned low might not do what I want on a 6 in standard C.

But it's not out of the question.

Have not, I have looked into it briefly. I think wizardjp has some clips of one on YouTube if not mistaken. I also read polarizing reviews on them. Have you had the black winter? And in a 6 string?

I don't fuck with extended scales and super low tunings so that does have an impact on where the mids or other frequencies may sit or be perceived with different models in my opinion.

What sounds good on a 8 string tuned low might not do what I want on a 6 in standard C.

But it's not out of the question.

They were specifically created (iirc) for a seven string when they first came out.
I pulled out some dirty fingers+ of my SG "Black" and put the nazgul/sentient in place.
100% better for me in standard tuning (that model has one of those weird floyds too, if you're not familiar).
No banshee shrills to speak of.

I have had the BW a couple of times and long enough to side by side.
The BW were a little clearer (more like cleaner because they both had about the same articulation and note definition, the Nazguls just add like a chainsaw noise to it). Almost as if they were the same pickup, but the Nazgul has a minor sore throat. But in a good way :p

They were specifically created (iirc) for a seven string when they first came out.
I pulled out some dirty fingers+ of my SG "Black" and put the nazgul/sentient in place.
100% better for me in standard tuning (that model has one of those weird floyds too, if you're not familiar).
No banshee shrills to speak of.

I have had the BW a couple of times and long enough to side by side.
The BW were a little clearer (more like cleaner because they both had about the same articulation and note definition, the Nazguls just add like a chainsaw noise to it). Almost as if they were the same pickup, but the Nazgul has a minor sore throat. But in a good way :p

I just heard a Black Winter vs Fortitude clip and it sounds like the fortitude is a black winter with less precense. I don't like too much rasp up high in pickups and enjoy the clarity of the BW. I stick to it usually 75% of the time because it feels almost perfect.

I think with all the moving and wire sourcing and stuff the Tone Nerd has going on. And the fact the only Dimarzio I ever had was a Dactivstor set that I never opened and sold the guitar they were going in... and sold them with it still in the package..

I might try a Dimarzio for real this time.

I just heard a Black Winter vs Fortitude clip and it sounds like the fortitude is a black winter with less precense. I don't like too much rasp up high in pickups and enjoy the clarity of the BW. I stick to it usually 75% of the time because it feels almost perfect.

I think with all the moving and wire sourcing and stuff the Tone Nerd has going on. And the fact the only Dimarzio I ever had was a Dactivstor set that I never opened and sold the guitar they were going in... and sold them with it still in the package..

I might try a Dimarzio for real this time.
I like the Black Winter with a 250K volume pot. Tames the rasp a bit, but it leaves you with the tight low-end rolloff. Try it if you haven't.

I also have the Nazgul at hand, and I ran that one with a 1Meg pot. Kinda hard to balance out. I feel it's a bit low-mid heavy, and the attack isn't as up-front as the 'Winter. Still a cool pickup, but I prefer a few Duncans over it. I'd rather have a 'Winter or a Distortion, personally.

You didn't miss much with the D Activator. I just sold one, and it's cool, but kinda vanilla. On a positive note, it's really balanced with a hint of high-end raspiness, but not too uncontrollable. On a negative note, it's pretty vanilla. Like neither here nor there. Somewhat generic-sounding.

I'm kinda back in love with the JB. I just got a Custom Shop one that has a roughcast magnet. It's really cool.

Last edited:
View attachment 340929
Something is bad wrong with that guitar. Everything is crooked. I think they were drunk when they built it.

I bought a Chubtone with Whiskeys and it is great. For reference my go to is the JB. Have not played any other ToneNerd's to compare though.
Yeah like Fek, I have a Whiskey. It currently is not installed in anything but eventually will go in a Les Paul. I had a 2nd Degree Black Belt and is hotter than that. I'd be happy eith any Tonenerd pickup.

What are you guys personal opinions on the differences? And what were you playing before switching to Tone Nerd?
I’ve been rolling mostly with some vintage Schallers and Bill Lawrences for awhile, but Scott is definitely my favorite modern winder. I’ve still got a Psykes and a Roxy in two guitars and I’ve had a Wicked 8, killers all.
Before TN, MCP and WCR were my favorites. IME TN are more open, lively, and aggressive in all the right places. Tight, yet still juicy and toneful. Aggressive af but never harsh in the highs. Also, when he’s up and running his prices and turnaround times are unbeatable.
Racers and DanTravis descriptions of the Psykes are both spot on.

I’ve had all the pickups mentioned here at one or another among many others and for high output pickups I just use now various vintage Schaller’s, Bill Lawrence’s, Mighty Mite’s, Dirty Finger’s and the one modern/not vintage one being Lundgren M6’s. The one Schaller I don’t care for as much though is the Hex bridge (Hex neck on the other hand is awesome in the bridge position or neck)

I find as good as some of these recent boutique pickups can be, they still when compared directly I find sound and feel a bit sterile, not as alive or inspiring to play as the good vintage pickups nor as strong in harmonics, but the M6 is unique and fun for modern stuff, surprisingly actually some of my favorite cleans and no one talks about it, but the M6 neck is one of my favorite neck pickups. It’s so good with its blend of having the round, liquid quality you want in the neck position, while still being very articulate and focused with good attack to it

My actual favorite high output pickup is a mystery ‘70’s one with hex pieces like a mighty mite or super distortion, but no one I’ve asked in a few threads has been able to identify what it is

Last edited:
I’ve had all the pickups mentioned here at one or another among many others and for high output pickups I just use now various vintage Schaller’s, Bill Lawrence’s, Mighty Mite’s, Dirty Finger’s and the one modern/not vintage one being Lundgren M6’s. The one Schaller I don’t care for as much though is the Hex bridge (Hex neck on the other hand is awesome in the bridge position or neck)

I find as good as some of these recent boutique pickups can be, they still when compared directly I find sound and feel a bit sterile, not as alive or inspiring to play as the good vintage pickups nor as strong in harmonics, but the M6 is unique and fun for modern stuff, surprisingly actually some of my favorite cleans and no one talks about it, but the M6 neck is one of my favorite neck pickups. It’s so good with its blend of having the round, liquid quality you want in the neck position, while still being very articulate and focused with good attack to it

My actual favorite high output pickup is a mystery ‘70’s one with hex pieces like a mighty mite or super distortion, but no one I’ve asked in a few threads has been able to identify what it is

So for the last 2-3 hours I broke out the white Jackson V with my trusty old custom Mojotone Sledgehammer in it.

This pickup is in the only guitar I have a tone knob that is actually wired in. Because with the Sledge, it's a 43g around 16k alnico 8 but the precense can be a tad sharp with a 500k pot on 10. So have to roll the tone back to about 7-8 to take that edge off. It doesn't loose any cut or percussive nature on the lows/mids when I do this since it has plenty to go around.

While this is annoying and trivial to a degree... it's such an absolute beast of a pickup. It grinds so hard in the mids but it has a full punchy bass response that doesnt mud up at all. It is the meanest & biggest pickup I have across the frequency spectrum. It feels a little stiffer than the black winter under the fingers but it sounds massive and open. Unleashed.

I had a BKP miracle man in that guitar before putting the sledgehammer in it a few years ago.

Through the herbert, and a marshall together... it's a sound I wish I could capture "in the room". 3d full bodied. Clear grind. Brutal. Just mean. I need to work on capturing these sounds because I don't put alot of effort into that, usually it's just point and record and I don't dick with mic positioning. Need some type of room mic that captures both with the in room vibe, I'd rather do that than close mic each cab call it a day when doing a basic sound demo.

Forgot how much I loved it because I get so comfortable with the ec1000 neck profile and scale and play that guitar most of the time because it just feels right in my hands. The Jackson is a little wider fret board, with a thinner neck and feels like a little longer scale. Not a problem to play just prefer the prior.

I'd put this pickup against anything out there though. It's not a noisy pickup either to be so powerful. No idea why they stopped making them.

This pickup for sure will always stay in this guitar.

Edit: the pickup I'm looking at replacing is actually a duncan sh6 in another V which is what prompted this thread in the first place.

Last edited:
@RedB4Black

Check the above post... I think you'd love a Sledghammer based on what you said in the WCR thread....

Back