🧸 LENZ AMPLIFICATION ??

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
Do you have a parts list you would want to use for a build? I saw you were doing some welding, and you seem experienced in knowledge of amps. I have no idea what the overall time frame would be to build one. I feel that it could probably be as little as you're saying like a couple of days to a few more once you have designed and done it a few times to get a rhythm/workflow down.

I don't claim to be a professional amo builder out if respect to the ones who do it daily. And with my welding business, I do work for myself and I have a heavy workload with that. The last person I worked for was a winston cup champion building racecar chassis. I've been in business myself for 5ish years. I am considering transitioning more and more to electronics because my pop and my grandfather were certified. My grandfather was a tube wizard and I spend alot of time around hum growing up. He was the first one I'd call when I was young and working on a live amp. I was messing with 500 volts as a teenager inside amps. It's just a bug I've always had and I know my way around schematics and basic tube amp circuitry to safely work around the voltages now.

Alot of it has to do with layout. It is a thing where if you sloppily toss an amp kit together, it might not do well. It may hum... some wires can't be strung up over others. I do respect a clean layout. If you were going to try to build your own amp... I'd start with a Ceriatone kit to get the understandings down. Or contact Jason Tong. He is getting bigger with his brand now but I've corresponded with him before through emails. You can build yourself a Wizard MTL for less than 1500 if you're confident enough. If high voltage and concepts of handling it scares you, I'd have a local tech handle the transformer power ups with a variac.

The parts can be a point of selling and upscaling also. Like fortin did the whole "nos" internals thing for the meshugga amps. Like some people will say a Sprague sounds warmer. Theres alot of debate on that. Gumdrops, orange vs yellow. It gets crazy. They do cost more depending what brand. Metal film vs wire wound. Theres debates on all of it in techncial discussions. The parts list is easily available it just gets murky with brand name. For Instance you can take a fixed negative feedback modded marshall, buy it. Copy the layout and add a switch. Or another knob that allows you to change the value of the negative feedback, or hardwire it a different value and literally just say "I designed a new circuit" and it will change the feel enough that people will think alot more has been changed than has been changed.

It takes a couple of days if you have all your parts laid out. Electronics tools. A clean workspace. And you actually work on it. Let's say you build 3 amps a week and do a run of 6 amps. You charge $4000 per amp. That's $24,000. Subtract your materials which can vary and parts. Let's be generous and say you spent 1200 to build it including chassis and shell. Usually it's less. So let's say 2800 net profit on each amp. That's $16,800 you made in 2 weeks of amp building if you can get it out there and market it like on these boards and YouTube. For 6 amps.

Now how someone can't "make a good business model" on those numbers is beyond me which is why I say.... 4k for modded marshall circuits is not exactly fair, regardless how good and long a man has been building. This easily is profitable at those numbers.

It's to the point where, I think anyone with a decent understanding and background in tube topography can ease their way into the business because there are apparently plenty of people with 4k to toss on amp heads. Sometimes more.

Wizard was built on a Marshall Jubilee if I'm not mistaken. And now look at em. Changing a few things here and there and making absolute killings. Paying this much for amps DOES create a cult like following. Once you establish yourself there.... you're good. Long as you don't pull a Cameron.

And why would you buy a CCV for like 10,000 when you can just build a Ceriatone Molecular? It's pretttttty much the same thing. You can take that schematic and change a couple values, use different brand parts, and iron, and label the panel differently with a different logo. And tell people you have a new cameren style design. Get Jason to make your PCBs. Add a switch for a value change... bam you can start your own lil amp company on the side. This is what most of them have done.

It's alot of marketing shit at the end of the day.
Most of the cost is in transformers for building.

Now I don't mean this to bash on builders. I really don't. And I'm not saying people don't do good work. Or anytbing like this. Some guys feel like they really did buy something very special if they pay a certain amount for it. And that is the main demographic they're aiming for. It's business afterall. I don't think they're scamming anyone for the most part, they are putting their own little tweak on a very recognizable circuit and marketing their business. This is fine.

Not saying it's easy and anyone can do it either. It is alot of details. Relationships. Parts shortages like the transformer issues that occurred for a while. Lots of bending over looking down into a chassis. But it's quiet peaceful work and if you enjoy working on electronics it's not actually "laborious"... you do have to dedicate yourself to become a notable builder and get amps to people. The more you grow the more you must keep up. Maybe even hire a qualified helper after a while.

It can be hard to balance work and building amps if you're not setup to quit work. With enough marketing you get to points where guys like Shea are at, taking deposits enough to cover your investment and the previous amps paid for you to not have to work at a regular job. And stick with that long enough with good customer service, you can't fail honestly. There will always be a market for this. Has been since the 80's and there's still room for more.

And look at what someone like Kyle Rbodes was able to do building amps. I think his circuits are more original than any new modded marshall circuit builders are because they are all JCM 800 and Plexi circuits with clipping diodes for the very most part with different values on switches and or tone pots.

Peters the Canadian builder.... another great example of true building. And his amps were some of the more reasonably priced for what you got. Not even sure if he still doing it or not now.

I think I'm rambling now. I need some orange juice. 🤣

That's another thing. It's the same almost exact designs with different values on switches and different iron.

This is a gold rush on modded marshall platforms and builders ARE cashing in.

No way to deny this as in....
Fortin. Larry. Lenz. Ground Zero. Wizard.

List continues... it's the same shit with new clothes on. Some guys are attached to certain builders and that's fine. But denying these facts is like... it's dillusional at best.

And MOST of the time you're seeing pre made PCB boards, populated with their choice of component brands... and choice of iron and cosmetics.

There's only so many ways you can build a marshall. And it's all beginning to sound the same while the prices would reflect a break through in circuitry design.. it's guys wanting to build LESS and make MORE.

I'll die on this hill though, lol

My SLX sounds at least 9\10 as good as most every new build I hear demo's of and I paid $600 for it 8 years ago. 🤣
I think the slx is an amazing sounding amp for sure. But a wizard is in no way close to a marshall in feel or sound. Ground zero hellion is completely its own thing. The moab is a good sounding marshall. I wont argue about pricing, but i also dont mind someone getting paid for their work. My amp i spent 2600 on new for a turrent board handwired amp. (Mine is essentially a hotrodded marshall) So 4k+ is hard for me too.

I think he has a bit different of a sound. The octane maybe is going more to the "modern" sound, but what he is really after is copping some slash tone it seems. So his hot chili is one that is very rock based, but just sounds killer to me

It's a matter of a few changes on the same circuit. Friedman is a good example of this. Not a new circuit design in the least. But... like I said man I'd like to try one because I'd like to try them all. I just can't see 4k for hotrodded marshalls anymore.

I respect them all. I think they all do great work. And if you can toss 4k on their marshalls, by all means support them. I hope every honest person with good customer service succeeds.

I'd buy a jubilee and mod it though for that octane tone. Then write the schematic out, add a switch or 2, and go into production for 2500 a pop plus shipping.

Wish I had the time 🤣 I do not want to weld and fabricate my entire life so I've been considering this alot more than normal the last few months.

Good quality work, respectable components... get some quality clips and some marketing, send it to some influencer YouTube guys.... and it could take off in todays landscape. It's on my list. I think there will always be a niche for tube amps regardless what digital does.

It's a matter of a few changes on the same circuit. Friedman is a good example of this. Not a new circuit design in the least. But... like I said man I'd like to try one because I'd like to try them all. I just can't see 4k for hotrodded marshalls anymore.

I respect them all. I think they all do great work. And if you can toss 4k on their marshalls, by all means support them. I hope every honest person with good customer service succeeds.

I'd buy a jubilee and mod it though for that octane tone. Then write the schematic out, add a switch or 2, and go into production for 2500 a pop plus shipping.

Wish I had the time 🤣 I do not want to weld and fabricate my entire life so I've been considering this alot more than normal the last few months.

Good quality work, respectable components... get some quality clips and some marketing, send it to some influencer YouTube guys.... and it could take off in todays landscape. It's on my list. I think there will always be a niche for tube amps regardless what digital does.
Silver jubilee sounds amazing. Not a bad startingg point

I think the slx is an amazing sounding amp for sure. But a wizard is in no way close to a marshall in feel or sound. Ground zero hellion is completely its own thing. The moab is a good sounding marshall. I wont argue about pricing, but i also dont mind someone getting paid for their work. My amp i spent 2600 on new for a turrent board handwired amp. (Mine is essentially a hotrodded marshall) So 4k+ is hard for me too.

Wizard has had alot of years to evolve. I think the new ones sound terrible and harsh and I haven't heard a good track with one on it. Just cool in the room clips. And alot of those leave alot to be desired. Why hasn't anyone put a good track out on here with a wizard as the main amp tone? Maybe I missed it. If I was ever going to have a wizard, which I won't, it would be an MTL or a modern classic. At that point I'd build it using Jason's parts.

The ground zero
It's an evolved jcm800 but yeah, I get what you're saying. It was born as a modded marshall.

I actually like the MOAB alot.
That marshall kerrang is strong in the moab.
I'd totally get a moab not going to lie.

Wizard has had alot of years to evolve. I think the new ones sound terrible and harsh and I haven't heard a good track with one on it. Just cool in the room clips. And alot of those leave alot to be desired. Why hasn't anyone put a good track out on here with a wizard as the main amp tone? Maybe I missed it. If I was ever going to have a wizard, which I won't, it would be an MTL or a modern classic. At that point I'd build it using Jason's parts.

The ground zero
It's an evolved jcm800 but yeah, I get what you're saying. It was born as a modded marshall.

I actually like the MOAB alot.
That marshall kerrang is strong in the moab.
I'd totally get a moab not going to lie.
We should be doing an amp fest soon. Will be some hellions, moabs, wizards. I think you would like the wizards more in person. But if not, there are tons of great amps there. Can try my MGL.

I have to at least partially agree with @ChuggNorris assessment.

I do find a a bulk of these modded Marshall type amps sound alike. Or at least I have a hard time telling them apart. But I also think it's more about the nuances in tone and the builder/designer tweaking it to sound and feel exactly like they want. I'm sure most of these builders have spent more time tweaking their circuit than I can imagine. Some of them do have more unique sounding amps than a basic hot-rodded plexi, but sometimes get undeservingly lumped into "the flavor of the month."

When I'm shopping for an amp I'm always looking for that thing that differentiates it from what I already have. In the case of the Lenz amp in the OP, it's too close to my Skeleton Key so I'd pass on it. Eddie does have one (Scalpel I think) that strays away from modded plexi tones. That one to my ears is more precise German tone; like an ENGL or Diezel on steroids.

Now, I'm willing to save what I need and spend a decent amount on an amp, but $4500 is past my price range. This is especially true when it's something that doesn't seem offer much different in tone than what I already have. I'm also one that doesn't need every feature under the sun packed into an amp. I know that adds to the price, but it's things that wouldn't be useful to me and not worth the extra cost.

FUCK.... I've been distracted while typing and don't remember where I was going with any of this. Let's just say some amps sound alike, but I can easily give much respect to the builders for all the time they've put in to the craft.

I feel like my personal issue is chassis design is so boring for almost every builder. I get that they are trying to appeal to everyone, so everything is black and looks like a marshall or whatever. I would feel better about spending a lot on my next amp that isn't just quality parts and build, but more unique in control layout, tolex patterns/colors/wood/stain/unusual materials/finishes, really anything, even shape. To me the proper touch in those areas would bring an amp's value up a decent amount by itself by setting itself apart and not just because of sought after parts and features.

I agree with this. I know it's trying to appeal to the majority, but all black gets boring quick. Some builders do give you a couple of color choices though. But you know I won't hesitate to recover the entire thing to fit my taste. Even if it starts out all black and you're not adept at doing a full recover, a recover of the shell's face and/or a knob change is easy to do and adds a touch of personalization. My Hellion & Alta for example.

1725962317128.png

I have to at least partially agree with @ChuggNorris assessment.

I do find a a bulk of these modded Marshall type amps sound alike. Or at least I have a hard time telling them apart. But I also think it's more about the nuances in tone and the builder/designer tweaking it to sound and feel exactly like they want. I'm sure most of these builders have spent more time tweaking their circuit than I can imagine. Some of them do have more unique sounding amps than a basic hot-rodded plexi, but sometimes get undeservingly lumped into "the flavor of the month."

When I'm shopping for an amp I'm always looking for that thing that differentiates it from what I already have. In the case of the Lenz amp in the OP, it's too close to my Skeleton Key so I'd pass on it. Eddie does have one (Scalpel I think) that strays away from modded plexi tones. That one to my ears is more precise German tone; like an ENGL or Diezel on steroids.

Now, I'm willing to save what I need and spend a decent amount on an amp, but $4500 is past my price range. This is especially true when it's something that doesn't seem offer much different in tone than what I already have. I'm also one that doesn't need every feature under the sun packed into an amp. I know that adds to the price, but it's things that wouldn't be useful to me and not worth the extra cost.

FUCK.... I've been distracted while typing and don't remember where I was going with any of this. Let's just say some amps sound alike, but I can easily give much respect to the builders for all the time they've put in to the craft.

Well said. And at the end of the day... as we all know.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or in their deep ass pockets one.

Some will claim a $100 bill smells better than a $50 bill also. Placebo. But depending on which strippers asscrack they came out of. They should smell very similar .... 👃💸

I think I need to go to sleep 😂

Well said. And at the end of the day... as we all know.. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or in their deep ass pockets one.

Some will claim a $100 bill smells better than a $50 bill also. Placebo. But depending on which strippers asscrack they came out of. They should smell very similar .... 👃💸

I think I need to go to sleep 😂
A recent double blind study found Coke snorts better out of 100 dollar bills. Facts

I think one thing that kills amps is trying to make it for everyone..too many features not as good as voicing an amp correctly for an application and making it stand out at one thing.

I wasn't necessarily trying to argue to make a good all around multichannel, I totally agree one amazing channel is better. More like having loops, a regular and a boost input, load boxes, cup holders, who knows, etc.. vs numerous channels. I guess I'm not out carrying stuff to shows these days either, so I know simple also helps with carrying it around. Also, the layout or interface would be cool to see some modern/bleeding edge takes. Along with the aesthetics.

I used to have a JCM900 and a 2000 when I was gigging in college that were stolen after a show in California 😭. Point being that I covered them in neon pink tolex and studs, rhinestones, spikes. Had matching cabs ❤️‍🔥. Can you believe that Marshall has still yet to do that? :ROFLMAO: That's not what I'm asking for, but I wouldn't be against it, either :p I don't even know what I'm asking for :ROFLMAO:

I don't claim to be a professional amo builder out if respect to the ones who do it daily. And with my welding business, I do work for myself and I have a heavy workload with that. The last person I worked for was a winston cup champion building racecar chassis. I've been in business myself for 5ish years. I am considering transitioning more and more to electronics because my pop and my grandfather were certified. My grandfather was a tube wizard and I spend alot of time around hum growing up. He was the first one I'd call when I was young and working on a live amp. I was messing with 500 volts as a teenager inside amps. It's just a bug I've always had and I know my way around schematics and basic tube amp circuitry to safely work around the voltages now.

Alot of it has to do with layout. It is a thing where if you sloppily toss an amp kit together, it might not do well. It may hum... some wires can't be strung up over others. I do respect a clean layout. If you were going to try to build your own amp... I'd start with a Ceriatone kit to get the understandings down. Or contact Jason Tong. He is getting bigger with his brand now but I've corresponded with him before through emails. You can build yourself a Wizard MTL for less than 1500 if you're confident enough. If high voltage and concepts of handling it scares you, I'd have a local tech handle the transformer power ups with a variac.

The parts can be a point of selling and upscaling also. Like fortin did the whole "nos" internals thing for the meshugga amps. Like some people will say a Sprague sounds warmer. Theres alot of debate on that. Gumdrops, orange vs yellow. It gets crazy. They do cost more depending what brand. Metal film vs wire wound. Theres debates on all of it in techncial discussions. The parts list is easily available it just gets murky with brand name. For Instance you can take a fixed negative feedback modded marshall, buy it. Copy the layout and add a switch. Or another knob that allows you to change the value of the negative feedback, or hardwire it a different value and literally just say "I designed a new circuit" and it will change the feel enough that people will think alot more has been changed than has been changed.

It takes a couple of days if you have all your parts laid out. Electronics tools. A clean workspace. And you actually work on it. Let's say you build 3 amps a week and do a run of 6 amps. You charge $4000 per amp. That's $24,000. Subtract your materials which can vary and parts. Let's be generous and say you spent 1200 to build it including chassis and shell. Usually it's less. So let's say 2800 net profit on each amp. That's $16,800 you made in 2 weeks of amp building if you can get it out there and market it like on these boards and YouTube. For 6 amps.

Now how someone can't "make a good business model" on those numbers is beyond me which is why I say.... 4k for modded marshall circuits is not exactly fair, regardless how good and long a man has been building. This easily is profitable at those numbers.

It's to the point where, I think anyone with a decent understanding and background in tube topography can ease their way into the business because there are apparently plenty of people with 4k to toss on amp heads. Sometimes more.

Wizard was built on a Marshall Jubilee if I'm not mistaken. And now look at em. Changing a few things here and there and making absolute killings. Paying this much for amps DOES create a cult like following. Once you establish yourself there.... you're good. Long as you don't pull a Cameron.

And why would you buy a CCV for like 10,000 when you can just build a Ceriatone Molecular? It's pretttttty much the same thing. You can take that schematic and change a couple values, use different brand parts, and iron, and label the panel differently with a different logo. And tell people you have a new cameren style design. Get Jason to make your PCBs. Add a switch for a value change... bam you can start your own lil amp company on the side. This is what most of them have done.

It's alot of marketing shit at the end of the day.
Most of the cost is in transformers for building.

Now I don't mean this to bash on builders. I really don't. And I'm not saying people don't do good work. Or anytbing like this. Some guys feel like they really did buy something very special if they pay a certain amount for it. And that is the main demographic they're aiming for. It's business afterall. I don't think they're scamming anyone for the most part, they are putting their own little tweak on a very recognizable circuit and marketing their business. This is fine.

Not saying it's easy and anyone can do it either. It is alot of details. Relationships. Parts shortages like the transformer issues that occurred for a while. Lots of bending over looking down into a chassis. But it's quiet peaceful work and if you enjoy working on electronics it's not actually "laborious"... you do have to dedicate yourself to become a notable builder and get amps to people. The more you grow the more you must keep up. Maybe even hire a qualified helper after a while.

It can be hard to balance work and building amps if you're not setup to quit work. With enough marketing you get to points where guys like Shea are at, taking deposits enough to cover your investment and the previous amps paid for you to not have to work at a regular job. And stick with that long enough with good customer service, you can't fail honestly. There will always be a market for this. Has been since the 80's and there's still room for more.

And look at what someone like Kyle Rbodes was able to do building amps. I think his circuits are more original than any new modded marshall circuit builders are because they are all JCM 800 and Plexi circuits with clipping diodes for the very most part with different values on switches and or tone pots.

Peters the Canadian builder.... another great example of true building. And his amps were some of the more reasonably priced for what you got. Not even sure if he still doing it or not now.

I think I'm rambling now. I need some orange juice. 🤣

Oh, I wasn't questioning anyone's capabilities.
I just have a bunch of parts in case you were looking to build something. :ROFLMAO: ❤️

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/thre...the-universe-nos-components-available.301248/

also

1725964619773.jpeg

I agree with this. I know it's trying to appeal to the majority, but all black gets boring quick. Some builders do give you a couple of color choices though. But you know I won't hesitate to recover the entire thing to fit my taste. Even if it starts out all black and you're not adept at doing a full recover, a recover of the shell's face and/or a knob change is easy to do and adds a touch of personalization. My Hellion & Alta for example.

View attachment 340284

❤️ ❤️ ❤️ You definitely have some of my favorites. I have this old roll of fabric from 19th century France that I thought would be cool to cover a cabinet grill and find a good matching shade of tolex to go with. Pretty much the opposite of metal, but I feel like the metal coming out would be amplified at least 10x because of it :devilish: It's not just vintage but actual antique tone fabric. You can't even get children to make the stuff these days.

Back