0000 Steel wool revelation

• Thread starter Thread starter SpiderWars
  • Start date Start date
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MDTWQR/ref=sw_img_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

2WEliHV.png

Is that the good stuff or the shitty stuff? It looks like the bag I bought 20+ years ago and still have most of it because it was the shitty stuff. I need to get that good stuff on a roll like in the video.
It’s good for shoving in mouse holes

Been doing this for 25 years!

WARNING: use blue painters tape and mask off your pickups really well.
The micro-fibers shedding off the steel wool will make a mess of them if you don't.

note: didn't watch the whole video so he may have mentioned this.

Last edited:
I just did some work on a guitar and looked and my 20+ year old stuff is this exact same brand. This is the stuff he's telling you NOT to use, that's the whole revelation.
The distinction he makes is between the differences in "grit".

He's saying grade #0000 steel wool in 1,500 to 2,000 grit is what you wanna use for this.

:coffee:

He mentioned mostly for “Gibson” guitars. What others do you guys see this on?

even masking off the pick ups .... I would still find steel wool dust on my pick ups .... I'll only use it on a guitar that doesn't have any electronics in it ....
and then blast it with some hard PSI before installing any pick ups .

Anything with a glossy sticky neck. Fenders for sure!
Interesting. In the mid 80s when I was learning guitar, we never had access to internet (there was none). And I couldn’t afford guitar magazines so I’d read what I could at the book stores etc as long as I could so this little bit of insight was never there for me. Then I was out of the game for a long time… now in my 50s it’s like a light goes off… wtf rock did I come out from.

Been using the 0000 steel wool for ever. I NEVER use it inside though and always use gloves… the metal wool is so fine it becomes airborne. The last thing I want is for the metal dust to get into my speaker voice coils (or lungs). Now before someone says that is impossible, about 20+ years ago I had a nice quad of pre-rola Celestion greenback 25’s that all had voice coil rubs. Since I was friend with Chris Merren, I sent him the speakers and he took them apart to fix. His comment after fixing was that cab speakers/cabinet was either in a garage where someone used a metal grinder often or a wood shop where someone used steel wool often. The voice coil of all speakers had metal shavings creating coil rubs. Luckily it was an easy fix for him, but someone not in the know would have trashed four fixable vintage speakers.

even masking off the pick ups .... I would still find steel wool dust on my pick ups .... I'll only use it on a guitar that doesn't have any electronics in it ....
and then blast it with some hard PSI before installing any pick ups .

I eventually started masking off basically the entire body with tape and plastic wrap.

The dust when you're done that looks like normal super fine grain dirt - like a smudge?
Check it out with a strong magnifying glass if you got one. :oops:

Last edited:
I’ve found the best thing to use is any kind of super fine sanding sponge. The same ones I use for wet sanding finishes on stained bodies.
No metal dust and they contour to your hand and the guitar neck

The distinction he makes is between the differences in "grit".

He's saying grade #0000 steel wool in 1,500 to 2,000 grit is what you wanna use for this.

:coffee:
Are they labeled what grit they are? It looks like it's all just labeled #0000.

Back