10 band eq....

• Thread starter Thread starter JackBootedThug
  • Start date Start date
JackBootedThug
JackBootedThug
MURDERATOR
on the boss ms3. How do you guys set your eq's up? I've never had an eq pedal and only ever fooled with the graphic on a mark IV. I have messed with it some and instantly like what it does, but when I try to do the V it gets real wonky. Sorry if this is a dumb question. It also has a built in parametric eq model but damn-I would have no idea where to start on that one. I was watching a couple of lambchoppers vids on youtube and it was crazy the tones he was getting with a mini dsl and an eq.....

yeah I was messing around with it and fuck....put it in a V and damn it was crazy. You have the level on the right and the values are pretty wide on each band...adding or cutting. It can get wacky quick.

Really just depends on what you want to do, and the sounds you like. I normally like to cut 500hz and boost 125hz. Cut the boxy and bring the chug.

ive wanted one of these for a while, these frequencies are much better for guitar than all the other graphic eq's on the market i think. i dont know if you can program that boss but if you can i would try those

ge-7.jpg

ive wanted one of these for a while, these frequencies are much better for guitar than all the other graphic eq's on the market i think. i dont know if you can program that boss but if you can i would try those

ge-7.jpg
Ayy, that’s pretty cool.

yeah I was messing around with it and fuck....put it in a V and damn it was crazy. You have the level on the right and the values are pretty wide on each band...adding or cutting. It can get wacky quick.
A good way to start is with everything on the eq centered; play into a clean amp using the most neutral setting (e.g., middle pickup selector) to get an even sound; then move each slider on the eq to max cut and max boost while just playing a full chord (E, G) that uses all 6-strings. Reset that slider to zero and move on to the next band.

Repeat the process until you hear what each slider does to your sound.

Then, zero the eq settings again, and play with a normal guitar tone you use, then adjust the EQ; start with maybe cutting the low and high; then boost/cut your low mid, mid, high mid; etc. don't go to extremes on the boost/cut.

Once you get used to the frequency bands in the graphic eq, then experiment with the parametric eq.

With a PEQ you can usually set a frequency center, then the bandwidth (wide to narrow) around that center; then boost and cut; experiment with different frequency centers and widths; one at a time.

I view GEQ like a set of butter knives, one for each band; they work but they're general purpose; the PEQ is more like a razor sharp scalpel and lets you really get as narrow and close to the frequencies you want to boost or cut.

How many bands does your PEQ have, 3? If so, maybe start with a low cut and high cut with two, and use the remaining band to find the narrowest frequency; e.g., start with a 1K or 2K center frequency, and wide band, then narrow it; move the center frequency, start wide then narrow; each time boosting and cutting.

just takes time to experiment and listen to find what works for you.

ge-7.jpg
I like the MXR 10-band, but I wanted something that would let me store patches, so I went with the Source Audio EQ2:

SA-EQ2.jpg

you can also center the frequency bands on any frequency you want; and it also has a PEQ; and store them as patches.

most parametric eq for guitar are parallel filters; the EQ2 PEQ is set to parallel filters by default; however you can also set it to cascading filters, which is a whole other level of complexity ( experimented with it, but more than I need).

https://www.sourceaudio.net/blog/eq2-a-graphic-or-parametric-equalizer

Last edited:
Once I started using a graphic eq, I stopped using boosts because the GEQ can boost and let you control the frequencies that are boosted (or cut).

My old bass preamp had semi-parametric EQ (ADA MB-1), and my Trace Elliot GP12 SMX had a 12-band graphic eq.

I think eq is one of the most powerful, under-utilized and underrated effects for guitar.

Once I started using a graphic eq, I stopped using boosts because the GEQ can boost and let you control the frequencies that are boosted (or cut).

My old bass preamp had semi-parametric EQ (ADA MB-1), and my Trace Elliot GP12 SMX had a 12-band graphic eq.

I think eq is one of the most powerful, under-utilized and underrated effects for guitar.
Agree!!

i agree, i think a lot of peoples amp problems would be solved with a simple notch or two adjustment with an eq in the loop, but i think a lot of people think their amp shouldnt need a $100 pedal in the loop to sound good :dunno:

Agreed.
I use a Boss EQ-200 in the loop to really fine tune clean channels, drop input gain, and give a slight mid boost for solo's. midi switched at the board. Works great if you just use it where you need it. As was said, you can use too much of it and wreck a good tone too

I usually go with ninja turtle evil smirk (pretty sure that's the technical name). Helps tighten up the erg flub and adds a bit of grind.

i agree, i think a lot of peoples amp problems would be solved with a simple notch or two adjustment with an eq in the loop, but i think a lot of people think their amp shouldnt need a $100 pedal in the loop to sound good :dunno:
I have a 5 band rack parametric that can make any amp sound about like anything. Very powerful tool to use.

Just today I had success with an EQ for the first time, to the point where I’m thinking shit, I could “fix” a lot of amps with this simple little pedal

I have a 5 band rack parametric that can make any amp sound about like anything. Very powerful tool to use.

yes, i have an Ashly 6 band i use, soon when i actually decide im gonna record for real i will definitely be using it for fine tweaking.

Just today I had success with an EQ for the first time, to the point where I’m thinking shit, I could “fix” a lot of amps with this simple little pedal

totally! you should grab a rack parametric, like shask says you can transform amps with them. id much rather tweak at the source than trying to fix things while mixing

Back