1964 Original Shelby Cobra

WGAF

Banned
Carroll Shelby conceived the idea of the Cobra sports car, which combined European style with American practicality.

Built by Shelby American Automobile Club - SAAC, chassis CSX2323 was one of five FIA-spec factory team cars that competed in the 1964 World Championship. Dan Gurney & Jerry Grant raced the Cobra in the Targa Florio & finished eighth overall & second in the GT class.

7tp5nKe.jpg

kdIfNQd.jpg

2vtDRRM.jpg

TPuxebG.jpg

Always been one of my dream cars! :worship:

I don't know what year / model it was, but one cruised past me while I was walking on the footpath (sidewalk in 'Merican speak) in a back street about a year ago. I can't remember ever having felt the ground shake for me like that near a car. What a friggin' beast it was. :rawk:

Two dudes enjoying a drive. I'll never forget it. The car was pristine and breathed fire. :thumbsup:

Monkey Man":268330zn said:
Always been one of my dream cars! :worship:

I don't know what year / model it was, but one cruised past me while I was walking on the footpath (sidewalk in 'Merican speak) in a back street about a year ago. I can't remember ever having felt the ground shake for me like that near a car. What a friggin' beast it was. :rawk:

Two dudes enjoying a drive. I'll never forget it. The car was pristine and breathed fire. :thumbsup:

Most Cobras in Aus have 302 Windsors in them.

The difference between a 302 & 351 Windsor is not width but height. (A big block Cleveland is way too wide)

If you see a Cobra with a hood cut out it may have a 351 in it otherwise 'generally' a 302.
Yes, I'm fully aware there are 427s in some Cobras but again, 'generally' 302s are the norm in Aus.

A 302 block is the same as a 289 block.

Sounded like a Chev to me, so I'm guessing it was a 427, brother.

Like I said, the ground literally shook. Awesome, awesome machine. :worship:

in a Shelby it could have been a 428 cobra jet, 429 cobra jet, 302HO. I would personally take the 428 cobra jet.

However, nothing beats a 426 Hemi's thunderous roar. Mopar no no car.

Monkey Man":28ve08dz said:

Could have been a cobra kit/replica. I've seen them around, I highly suspect they were replicas as I think less than a 1000 real cobras were made.

CNutz":2ezdr6ls said:
Monkey Man":2ezdr6ls said:

Could have been a cobra kit/replica. I've seen them around, I highly suspect they were replicas as I think less than a 1000 real cobras were made.
100% correct. :thumbsup:

Far more kits ALL over the world today than originals.

Sitedrifter":2w07le6r said:
paulyc":2w07le6r said:
No, Shelby's came with 289s or 427s, that's it.
Does it really matter, it was a ford.
Of course it matters. :loco:

Engine weight & power ratio to chassis brakes etc etc..

Too much torque can twist chassis, suspension, steering & struts are affected.

One must build in harmony from radiator to diff to get it right for the chosen combination.

Sitedrifter":1ps07hz3 said:
Sitedrifter":1ps07hz3 said:
paulyc":1ps07hz3 said:
J/K

While I am partial to Mopar, Ford Muscle rocks!
Mopar is pure muscle & force without any real refinement. I love a Mopar myself but of course there is more to a car than JUST the engine as most know.

WGAF":3nvetvkz said:
Sitedrifter":3nvetvkz said:
Sitedrifter":3nvetvkz said:
paulyc":3nvetvkz said:
J/K

While I am partial to Mopar, Ford Muscle rocks!
Mopar is pure muscle & force without any real refinement. I love a Mopar myself but of course there is more to a car than JUST the engine as most know.

Well then the real pony car that dominated road tracks back in the 60s was the Yenko 302 Camaro. What a screaming beast and what a track car.

WGAF":3uvmsl93 said:
Sitedrifter":3uvmsl93 said:
paulyc":3uvmsl93 said:

One must build in harmony from radiator to diff to get it right for the chosen combination.
By that measure the 427 Cobra was a POS. The 289 was decent.

paulyc":3vg758m3 said:
WGAF":3vg758m3 said:
Sitedrifter":3vg758m3 said:
paulyc":3vg758m3 said:

By that measure the 427 Cobra was a POS. The 289 was decent.
289s around town are fantastic. High speed long distance yes, the 427.

WGAF":2lje3uho said:
CNutz":2lje3uho said:
Monkey Man":2lje3uho said:

Ahh... thanks guys.

The dudes looked like a well-heeled gay couple but I didn't say so 'cause it wasn't relevant. It might be now 'though 'cause they looked like they were rolling in it big-time. So, could've been a fake or a souped-up original.

I'll never forget the experience 'though; 'twas a thing of beauty all-'round.

Monkey Man":z7d6d1mb said:
WGAF":z7d6d1mb said:
CNutz":z7d6d1mb said:
Monkey Man":z7d6d1mb said:

Ahh... thanks guys.

The dudes looked like a well-heeled gay couple but I didn't say so 'cause it wasn't relevant. It might be now 'though 'cause they looked like they were rolling in it big-time. So, could've been a fake or a souped-up original.

I'll never forget the experience 'though; 'twas a thing of beauty all-'round.
Well, what we do know now is the engine didn't have a blower on it as the blower was sitting next to his darling in the passenger seat. :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

Did you by chance hear the name of the passenger, the name wasn't Stanz, SiteClown OR CharvelDan was it? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I think I might've heard something along the lines of, "Stanz, SiteClown, CharvelDan, honey, suck and blow harder, you bitch!" :LOL: :LOL:

Can't be 100% sure 'though 'cause the ground was shakin' with the combined noise of a 427 Chev and the Hoover action... :confused:

Back