1U Rackmount Power Amps

• Thread starter Thread starter McLeanAB
  • Start date Start date
McLeanAB
McLeanAB
Hey all!

So, experimenting and having a blast... running my ISP Technologies Theta Rack Preamp into the power section of my Mesa Mark V:25 and having a BLAST swtiching between not only all the modes in each channel, which offer up slightly different character, but with the wattage switch, it's even cooler... SO much fun...

Ideally, I wouldn't mind having a Mesa 20/20 or Marshall EL84 20/20 or an ADA Microtube or Microfet... hell, wouldn't even mind the Marshall 8008 again (had it a long time ago).

What other single rack space guitar power amps are out there? Rocktron? Any secret lowliers that are awesome, 1 rack space, and might have been used in the 80's?

Let me know!

I Think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the Palmer Macht 402. I run mine with a JMP-1 or ADA MP1 and it's great! Much prefer it to the Marshall 8008 as you can taper off any high or low end with the controls.

200 watts per channel into 4 ohms
400 watts bridged for mono use
"Carefully tailored", guitar-specific EQ
Input sensitivity selector for use with preamps, pedals etc.
Built-in limiter
All major protections
Works with virtually any cabinet(s)

Apart from that I'd got EL84 20/20 again.

I found a pretty decent comparison video between the LX II and Syn 50/50.

I'm also kind of jealous of all this dude's rack gear in the background. 🤤

Fryette LXII kicks ass
Have you compared this to a Freyette 2/50/2 or Mesa 2:90 or similar?

I have been looking at power amps lately, but not sure if I want a huge one, smaller one like the LXII, or one at all, lol.

I have been looking at power amps lately, but not sure if I want a huge one, smaller one like the LXII, or one at all, lol.
I have not. I'm sure there are differences in sound, but honestly I can't see anyone being unhappy with the LXII. It's an excellent sounding power amp. It is pretty heavy for being 1U. Probably not as heavy as the 2/50/2 or Mesa 2:90 though.

I have been down this road.. I recommend staying away from the Marshall and Mesa 20/20’s. I read a lot of reviews about the Marshall having overheating problems and bought the Mesa. It ran very hot too and I had to replace power tubes every 5-6 months…that was with regular rehearsal and gigging. It got expensive and not reliable. But besides all that…I really didn’t like the sound of EL84s being pushed hard.

Ultimately I went with a Rocktron Velocity 300.. it has a nice tube-like warmth to it and isn’t too clean and sterile. I have countless hours and gigs on it and not a single complaint. I also still have a Marshall 8008 that sounds great but it doesn’t really have the power for live, loud gigs.

Never tried the Matrix stuff or the Fryette amps because they are out of my price range.

I had a Mesa 20/20 in a W/D/W rig running the effects on each side. Way louder than I thought 20w would be. However running it with a preamp pedal or axe fx it lacked headroom and had that typical small amp cranked all the way sound. May be your thing, it wasn't mine for tight high gain stuff. I ran a stereo rig with a Matrix GT1000fx, Axe-Fx on one side, Quad Cortex on the other. It had plenty of headroom, no sag or coloring of the tone. I had to dial the Axe-Fx more for transparent power, the Quad didn't need any adjustments.

^^^^^^ I'm actually hoping for lots/some coloration. The power section of the Mark V:25 with all the options on each channel make me want to play around with some tone shaping if possible... even the Marshall 8008 with the singular switch on the back would be fun...

Stumbled across a Michael Nielson video, after checking this thread out, and he compares 3 VHT power amps and a PS2. Great comparison vid that should be easy enough to find. Have always wanted a big VHT power amp, but after watching, I will stick with the PS2. Close enough for me.

I just picked up a used Marshall 8004 for my W/D/W experiment. I’m pleased with it.

Michael Toren is pretty much the rack legend.
When the HRI website was still up, there used to be a forum member named GrooveKing who had not only guitar rack gear, but also amp heads, combo amps, and cabinets. His home looked like a music store from the pictures that were posted.

I used to own the Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp. It was good for low volume, small gig situations, sounded good, but it lacked the headroom of the bigger power amps in their product line. I also used to own an older Rocktron Velocity power amp. It's been awhile and I'm not sure which model it was, but the power amp would go into a thermal shutdown in the middle of a show. I had no backup power amp back then and it was really embarrassing, to say the least. I sold it off to someone on Craig's List and let them deal with the thermal shutdown issues.

My friend owns the Marshall 20/20 power amp that was powered with EL-84 power tubes. That power amp also would go into a thermal shutdown. He had it repaired and it was still having issues. It wasn't a reliable stereo tube power amp. He also bought a used Marshall 8004 stereo solid power amp from Mason Marangella (Vertex Effects). That power amp had thermal shutdown issues and my friend returned it to Mason for a refund.

Last edited:

Back