6550 recomendations

  • Thread starter Thread starter bstaley
  • Start date Start date
bstaley

bstaley

New member
So I've decided it's finally time to retube my VHT 2-90-2. I keep hearing guys rave about putting 6550's in them over the KT88's. What 6550 would you guys recommend? I am primarily a rock/metal player. The Tung-Sol 6550 seems interesting, as well as the Svetlana. What do you think?
 
bstaley":1yg15e4k said:
So I've decided it's finally time to retube my VHT 2-90-2. I keep hearing guys rave about putting 6550's in them over the KT88's. What 6550 would you guys recommend? I am primarily a rock/metal player. The Tung-Sol 6550 seems interesting, as well as the Svetlana. What do you think?

I have both the Tung-sol 6550 and Svetlana 6550. The Tung-sol has a bit darker feel to me than the Svetlana 6550. I think the highs on the Svet 6550's are better, and it has a better (less mushy) mid-range growl and low-end punch. I have had the Svetlana 6550's in my VHT 2/90/2 for the past year using it w/ my M4, and they have been the best / most reliable tubes I have!

I have tried both the TS 6550s and Svet 6550s in my Mod50 also, and the Svet's sounded better there too. I do have a quad of TS 6550's if you are interested. $100 shipped to you in the 48 states. I bought them from thetubestore.com to replace my Svet's, but for me, I just like my Svet's better. The TS's and Svets are the best sounding 6550s on the market. I'd be really happy w/ the TS's too.

In my Mod50, the Tung-Sol 5881's eventually won out, so I use 5881's there and use Svet 6550's in my VHT 2/90/2.

Eric
 
Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably just order a new set of Svetlanas. I read some other reviews and they sound like the best choice for me. What do you have yours biased at?
 

Similar threads

mctallica1
Replies
72
Views
2K
mctallica1
mctallica1
mctallica1
Replies
68
Views
5K
gtr1963
G
H
Replies
79
Views
13K
harddriver
H
Back
Top