6550 vs. EL-34

• Thread starter Thread starter Sacha
  • Start date Start date
I will try it myself soon and let you know! The KT77s are killer though!

Any experience on KT88 Vs. 6550?

I have a VH4 with KT77s, but Im always curious about trying something new.

My experience of 6550s is they won't bias! At least SED 6550C's. Peter told me I need to choose lower current 6550s, or use KT88s instead. I dunno if anyone else has found this problem... :confused:

Thanks Me (or you?)! :confused:

Good to know. My impressions so far from SED (winged C) power tubes have been only positive and have not encountered similar difficulties etc. Might be because of the current levels.

Now I am leaning even more towards the KT88s (also SED). Any experience on those? Esp. in terms of sound.

All the best

Are you saying that SED (winged C) 6550Cs worked in your herbert, or do you mean you've used them in other amps? :confused:

Sorry that I was more or less indistinct with my previous statement concerning the SED tubes.

What I ment was that I have not had any negative experiences with Svetlana "winged C" tubes (with an exception of their ECC83/12AX7 tubes which were bad soundwise). Also various other people, incl. experienced techs and/or tube and amp part dealers have stated that they prefer the qualities presented in SED ("C") tubes. However, my personal experiences with SEDs ("C") are limited to other amps than Herbert. Actually I have VH4 and not Herbert (at least not yet ;) ).

The reason why I asked about the 6550s and KT88s is because Im currently running my VH4 with KT77s, but Im seriously planning to put quartet of KT88s in it (Svetlana "Winged C"). I was wondering does anyone have any prior expereiences about KT88s in comparison to 6550s.

Sorry about the confusement

Back