A friend and his pedals

• Thread starter Thread starter homespun
  • Start date Start date
homespun
homespun
I have a good pal that uses pedals with his rig. His jam room is his garage. His bands all practice there. The issue is that when they’re not there it either gets to be 99°F and near 100% humidity in the summer and 25°F in the winter. The worst part is the winter he’ll build a fire in the wood burner and it’ll go from 25° to 85° in 20 minutes. Then they practice and when they’re done the fire goes out and it freezes again.

I’ve worked on a small number of his pedals. Usually, i can’t find the issue but cleaning out the pots and jacks helps. I’m thinking it’s the frequent heating/cooling and humidity changes. I’ve had some that i had to soak with Deoxit and move the knobs with a pair of pliers because they were completely stuck.

Sometimes they just work at my house and then don’t at his practice space.

The last one I fixed i stuck a silica gel pack in it before closing it up. I figure that may buy me a few extra weeks before he brings it back.

Do you think I’m on the right track? Is it the humidity getting in the pots and the constant temperature changes causing the problems?

Back