Adam Jones Epiphone Les Paul

• Thread starter Thread starter Anxiety Serum
  • Start date Start date
Anxiety Serum
Anxiety Serum
Anyone see this today? https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/AdamJonesArtCollection

This seems to have all the bells and whistles...for an Epiphone. Maple neck. Ebony Board. Orange Drop Capacitors. Actual Duncan Distortion in the bridge instead of the Gibson pickup in the Adam Jones Gibson Standard (not the custom shop one).

1670382312002.png

Anyone see this today? https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/AdamJonesArtCollection

This seems to have all the bells and whistles...for an Epiphone. Maple neck. Ebony Board. Orange Drop Capacitors. Actual Duncan Distortion in the bridge instead of the Gibson pickup in the Adam Jones Gibson Standard (not the custom shop one).

View attachment 148690
i did, and you beat me to starting a thread on it
i dont know how i feel about the "veil of bees" art,,,,, hmm ... i always wanted a silver burst...

i did, and you beat me to starting a thread on it
i dont know how i feel about the "veil of bees" art,,,,, hmm ... i always wanted a silver burst...
I actually like the art. Not sure how I feel about an Epiphone. I had one before. Sounded fine, but it felt cheap in the hands compared to my Gibson and I never played it again. Just got a second Gibson instead.

But I want a 3rd to get set up in standard C# Tuning and don't want to pay Gibson prices so I'll give Epiphone another shot.

I actually like the art. Not sure how I feel about an Epiphone. I had one before. Sounded fine, but it felt cheap in the hands compared to my Gibson and I never played it again. Just got a second Gibson instead.

But I want a 3rd to get set up in standard C# Tuning and don't want to pay Gibson prices so I'll give Epiphone another shot.
Ok since you went there i will agree w that too - ive owned ONE epiphone i liked - and it was an old $300 model - played great

Every other epi ive had was kinda shite. Thats not to say they dont make good guitars, ive just had bad luck w the “playability” characteristics

I REALLY want a gibson silverB

Yeah, my one arrived today - pretty good guitar, though definitely on the pricey side for what it is!

Yeah, my one arrived today - pretty good guitar, though definitely on the pricey side for what it is!
Any thoughts other than pretty good? Have you had other Epiphones, if so how does it compare?

Does it sound and feel good?

I bought quick to avoid it selling out, but still torn if I really want a cheaper epiphone or just wait and get another Gibson.

Love Adam Jones and think the art is cool and like the full silverburst vs. the Gibson AJ Standard with the black back, but not sure I can get over the Epiphone and the poly vs nitro finish.

Any thoughts other than pretty good? Have you had other Epiphones, if so how does it compare?

Does it sound and feel good?

I bought quick to avoid it selling out, but still torn if I really want a cheaper epiphone or just wait and get another Gibson.

Love Adam Jones and think the art is cool and like the full silverburst vs. the Gibson AJ Standard with the black back, but not sure I can get over the Epiphone and the poly vs nitro finish.

I've not had other Epis for a loooong time, but I've played on a few here and there since the recent re-vamp. It's on par with those, and doesn't have any QC faults at all to speak of, other than a slightly dry fingerboard. The internal routes etc. are very clean indeed, as is the wiring and electronics. The nut's been cut well, and the setup out of the box was decent but could be improved with some minor fettling at home (YMMV).

Sound-wise it's pretty impressive - lots of grunt from the SH-6, and the BBPro in the neck balances pretty well even with the noticeable volume drop - if you're careful with your amp settings you can use these as a clean/dirty set with just the toggle switch. That said, I seem to get some treble roll-off on the volume pots, so I might sort that out with a re-wire.

The paintjob is brilliant - they've captured the vibe of a 'real' SB pretty well, and I'm really pleased with the artwork on the back too - it's much less in-your-face than I'd feared, and it's a really high-quality job indeed.

The weight's a little high, but that's to be expected of a non-chambered model, and is in keeping with AJ's preferences too. Similarly, the neck's skinnier than I prefer, but it's his signature, so...! Tuning is very stable though, even with the skinnier neck - I can't tell how they've laminated the 3-pc, but that might be a contributing factor I suppose.

All that said, I don't love it. I had to change the stock (Gibson) strings as soon as it arrived, as they felt like cheese graters, and that did help my first impressions quite a bit. I think it's the weight and the skinny* neck profile, whereas I tend to prefer larger profiles and lighter guitars - my main two are a PRS S2 McCarty 594, and a surprisingly-light Gibson Explorer. Even so, I'll be keeping this for a while at the very least. I've been after an SB for years, and I'm a big AJ fan. I don't see the point of selling it - certainly not for scalper prices, but if I were to I'd probably replace it with a similarly-specced PGK build but with a few tweaks that I'd want for myself.

P.s. Less important, but the hardcase is fantastic!

*skinny by my preferences, I'll measure it up properly but it's not a Wizard or anything.

I hate Epiphones. Overpriced Chinese toys.

I understand they're trying to offer a cheaper alternative, but every Chinese Epiphone I've touched was garbage.

Their best guitars are way behind them when they were made in Korea. I had a mid 90's Birdseye Maple topped LP that I bought brand new that was outstanding. Was gorgeous too. Think it was a '95. This one....

96911.jpg

I understand they're trying to offer a cheaper alternative, but every Chinese Epiphone I've touched was garbage.

Their best guitars are way behind them when they were made in Korea. I had a mid 90's Birdseye Maple topped LP that I bought brand new that was outstanding. Was gorgeous too. Think it was a '95. This one....

View attachment 149086
Looks like it has some kind of disease. :oops:

View attachment 149086
that brings back memories, I recall sitting in the same guitar store every 2-3 weeks playing that exact model wishing i had the money to actually buy it. but you know $500 was a lot of money to a young teenager.

View attachment 149086
Looks like aids m8.

I've not had other Epis for a loooong time, but I've played on a few here and there since the recent re-vamp. It's on par with those, and doesn't have any QC faults at all to speak of, other than a slightly dry fingerboard. The internal routes etc. are very clean indeed, as is the wiring and electronics. The nut's been cut well, and the setup out of the box was decent but could be improved with some minor fettling at home (YMMV).

Sound-wise it's pretty impressive - lots of grunt from the SH-6, and the BBPro in the neck balances pretty well even with the noticeable volume drop - if you're careful with your amp settings you can use these as a clean/dirty set with just the toggle switch. That said, I seem to get some treble roll-off on the volume pots, so I might sort that out with a re-wire.

The paintjob is brilliant - they've captured the vibe of a 'real' SB pretty well, and I'm really pleased with the artwork on the back too - it's much less in-your-face than I'd feared, and it's a really high-quality job indeed.

The weight's a little high, but that's to be expected of a non-chambered model, and is in keeping with AJ's preferences too. Similarly, the neck's skinnier than I prefer, but it's his signature, so...! Tuning is very stable though, even with the skinnier neck - I can't tell how they've laminated the 3-pc, but that might be a contributing factor I suppose.

All that said, I don't love it. I had to change the stock (Gibson) strings as soon as it arrived, as they felt like cheese graters, and that did help my first impressions quite a bit. I think it's the weight and the skinny* neck profile, whereas I tend to prefer larger profiles and lighter guitars - my main two are a PRS S2 McCarty 594, and a surprisingly-light Gibson Explorer. Even so, I'll be keeping this for a while at the very least. I've been after an SB for years, and I'm a big AJ fan. I don't see the point of selling it - certainly not for scalper prices, but if I were to I'd probably replace it with a similarly-specced PGK build but with a few tweaks that I'd want for myself.

P.s. Less important, but the hardcase is fantastic!

*skinny by my preferences, I'll measure it up properly but it's not a Wizard or anything.
You nailed it pretty spot on.

The Good:
Just opened mine up and played a bit. I love Jones, but have never been a huge fan of the Silverburst until recently. I prefer to see the wood grain. But in person this is very cool looking and I like it even better than in pictures (like I want a custom shop silverburst now kinda cool). It's higher quality than my 2016 Epiphone I got rid of. And yes the strings feel like cheese graters but an easy fix. The Epiphone sustains for days. Is as heavy as my non-chambered Gibson, but I like a bit more heft (my other is chambered and lighter). It sounds good. Not Gibson good but really good.

Knobs feel nice, unlike my old Ephiphone.

Selector switch is actually got better play (firmer/sturdier feeling) than either my custom or standard Gibson.

The case is hard plastic and may be worth using as a road case vs. my Gibson

Not so good (no real bads)
Sounds good...but....the DD may be a bit bright for my taste, makes the middle pickup hard to use. On my others LPs I live in the middle for cleans (one with Gibson Burstbucker Pros, the other with DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and Super 3 in neck). Much warmer sounds.

The neck I don't love either. Don't hate, completely livable, but it is a touch slim, and along with the strings the frets feel like cheese graters, its just not smooth across to slide from one Drop D power chord to a few down. Not sure strings will fix that feel.

The case is plastic and doesn't look as cool or smell like vanilla like the Gibsons.

Conclusion

Totally worth $1300.

My issue is I found the 1 Custom Shop Fender Telecaster I've been eyeballing at a great used price (like 40% off). So I may need to let this Epiphone go. But will wait until the Tele comes in to make sure.

Last edited:
Slight update, I sold mine a week ago… I had it all of seven days :(

The neck and weight being too far from my preferences were the decider. If I didn’t want a SB so much, and wasn’t such an AJ fan then it would have gone straight back on arrival. As it was, I tried to like it but I know those two issues would’ve continued to be a problem for me.

Note: I did sell it for a mark-up, but the difference (£350) was donated to a local MH charity. This was my way of not selling to a scalper, but also not personally making a profit too. Still not ideal, but the buyer was happy anyway and this way the charity gets a nice chunk.

I’m now booked onto a build course with Crimson Guitars in May, where I’ll make my own ‘inspired-by’ tonal replacement instead. I’ve built a fair few guitars before, but not a carve-top, so this should be fun. :)

Back