Anybody wire their EMGs 18 volts?

• Thread starter Thread starter again with this
  • Start date Start date
again with this
again with this
So, I slapped another battery in the power chain this morning. I should have played a while first to get a good comparison. I think they sound hotter, almost more responsive, less compressed. I think I like it.

Me being me, I am going to make a "bypass plug" and A/B the sound just to be sure.

any thoughts/experiences..?

i have 18v in one of my guitars. its less compressed, i feel a little hotter but its not necessary good for all applications.

It's almost like it sounds passive but loud. Possible downside, no longer feels like EMGs.

I understand what you mean, "not nescessarily good for all applications".

with it being hotter, what was the tone response like?

I would have to describe the tone response as "fuller". Less EMG like. It's very subtle. Maybe more mids... I don't know yet. Just did it yesterday.

cool, where did you get the instructions to do it? on the EMG site?

I posted in a thread about this on the HCAF...I definitely dig the 18volt mod. Like others have said, for some high gain tastes, it may not be the thing for ya. The 9 volt setup sounds a hair bit mor aggressive, due to the p/up preamp clipping more than running at 18v. But, at 18v, the sound is more natural, doesn't clip and sounds fuller. I've been going through a p/up crisis, swtiching out my 81's for Duncans (JB, Distortion), BL L500XL's and just put my 81's back in last night...But, I hooked them up once again at 18 volts after having them at 9 prior to taking them out the first time. For me, I looved the natural thickness of the JB and Distortion and L500XL, but the 81's had more definition and a slightly more aggressive character. Palm mutes felt thicker and chunkier with the passives and seemed lackluster with the 81's. But, the 18 volt mod gives me the best of both worlds, so to speak. The more natural, chunky thickness, but the higher gain, aggression and definition/clarity of the actives.

I may have to try that out, I assume its as easy to undo as it is to do in the first place...I'll have to check it out. I know for high gain sounds it sounds like what I'm looking for, how do the clean sounds react?

It's actually great for the clean sounds too. The internal preamp has more headroom and doesn't break up as easy - essentially a cleaner sound at 18 volts.

Since I use low tunings, drop b and C# Std., the 18 volt mod in my new KL made such a difference to me it makes me kick myself in the ass for not doing it sooner. However, it could be subjective to the ear if it is making a difference or not, because as a whole sound, there may not be just noticable differences made, however if you really sit and fiddle with the guitar, play single notes down the neck, getting lower and lower and compare it to a guitar with the standard 9 volts, it becomes very obvious what it is doing. Since it doesn't have the clipping of the preamp, the notes are much more pure, and this I find esepcially true in the low register which you normally don't hear a whole lot of difference in, the 2 and first fret notes. You can actually makes distinctions in pitch, even with high gain, high volume settings that are much harder to distinguish with the std. 9 volt set-up. To some ears it may sound as if the amp is running with a lower gain setting, not by much, but just a hair, which brings EVERYTHING out more. Chords sound more full and distinguished, palm mutes are more punchy and squeals rip out of the amp. It makes for an overall more percussive attack and sound as well, both distorted and clean. Basically across the board the 18 volt mod, for me anyways, is an amazing upgrade, it makes EMG's sing more naturally than the 9 volt set-up EMG's are readily used to being heard with.

-Ans-

flying_high":99279 said:
i want to rig it so my emgs are powered by the ac outlets.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get some long cables too power them off of my pedal power :? :P

Back