Anyone else fooled by GC's latest bait and switch?

• Thread starter Thread starter flying_high
  • Start date Start date
flying_high
flying_high
Not that big of a deal, but I got a coupon in the mail for President's day for a free pack of strings. I made sure to look, there was no fine print anywhere. So I make the trip to Guitar Center, and the offer only applies to three specific strings (GHS rockits, and two other brands I'm no so sure of). I said the coupon doesn't specify any particular brand and that this is a bait and switch.

The guy said he knows, he's sorry, but there's nothing he can do about it. Oh well.

I love the corporate BS. No one is accountable except some faceless executive holed up in his stronghold somewhere in Afghanistan.

I went there today not even realizing it was a sale. There were WAY more people than normal, so they must have come because they heard there was a sale. There was no sale. They had a few amps and guitars marked down like $30, and of course, it wasn't even expensive stuff.

30? Wow. There was a guitar marked down 4 dollars today...

LOL man, that's bad. I still find the $20-30 stuff funny, because the stuff that was discounted wasn't even 10% off and it was stuff they obviously wanted to get rid of.

i like rag on GC as much as the next guy.

but they do some pretty cool stuff sometimes, like blowing out the Mesa series I Stiletto or when they blew out the Mesa 2/100 power amp.

and have seen some damned good green tag sales, just never found a green tag on something i wanted.

I like the fact that typically, the ineptitude of GC employees usually means that there's at least one guy in charge of buying used gear that has no idea what he's got, and ends up pricing it far below market value.

I got a JMP-1 with minor rack-rash for $199 + tax because of this. Make their stupidity work for you! :D

I avoid shopping at GC at all costs, the problem is they just bought out the Woodwind and Brasswind by me.... :(

Is it still a bait and switch when you're talking about something free, though?

And more importantly, if you get the free strings, do those nazi bastards still check the receipt???? :badair:

I don't like GC at all, but from time to time they do some good stuff. I got a new Mark IV a year and a half ago for $999 because it was missing the footswitch (which was $279) but still, thats still over $500 below retail.

That's not a "bait & switch". A bait & switch is when they advertise one thing and then only offer you something different and don't make the item advertised available. They didn't specify which strings were free so any strings they offer would satisfy their advertisement, they aren't required to give you a choice.

If I were you I wouldn't ever shop there again. The nerve of those guys trying to give you something for free and not checking with you first to see if it's your favorite brand. :roll:

Guitar Center employees are almost always complete idiots, and they are overpriced on just about everything (new & used), but if you know how to haggle and you actually have the money to back up your haggling I've found that you can pretty much name your price on anything in the store (within reason). Weak salespeople are the first ones to discount something because they're afraid that's the only way they will make the sale and they have nothing to counter your lowball offer with. Make the system work for you.

I have no complaints about the one near me, the guys know their stuff pretty well. Cept this one little weasel shithead manager who thinks hes important. fuckin 4 foot tall cunt. when I bought my LP there were these few faint red streaks by where th neck meets the body, and I said it looks like a stain. he said its part of the adhesive that dries and it turns a little red, I just stared at him and said highly doubt it. I contacted Gibson and they told me to send them the guitar and theyll take care of it. I aint sending this thing out tho for finish work in winter :lol:

come on. Everyone knows Guitar Center sales are when you get fucked the hardest. How many times have yolu heard, "sorry man, that'st he sale price... it's already marked down as low as it can go.."? Only to retur two weeks later and get the same thing for less...

we had some pretty good deals at ours today...they had almost every gibson marked 15% off!!!

they had a black explorer for $784 that i REALLY wanted

I think Ill stick with mom and pop around the corner.

I did not mean to start a bash GC thread. I've scored some pretty nice deals there. Just wondering if I was the only one.

And my coupon said a free pack of strings of my choice, with no fine print. It was a bait and switch, the guy working there even said it was and that it sucked. I'm not bashing him.

And yes, the bitch stopped me and had to check my receipt. She even had the nerve to make some smart ass remark. She was lucky I didn't show her my pimp hand. ;)

>|<>QBB<
flying_high":2ae26 said:
Not that big of a deal, but I got a coupon in the mail for President's day for a free pack of strings. I made sure to look, there was no fine print anywhere. So I make the trip to Guitar Center, and the offer only applies to three specific strings (GHS rockits, and two other brands I'm no so sure of). I said the coupon doesn't specify any particular brand and that this is a bait and switch.

The guy said he knows, he's sorry, but there's nothing he can do about it. Oh well.

The only thing I went to GC for yesterday, was to see if they had a JVM :twisted:

>|<>QBB<
Variable":515c9 said:
I like the fact that typically, the ineptitude of GC employees usually means that there's at least one guy in charge of buying used gear that has no idea what he's got, and ends up pricing it far below market value.

I got a JMP-1 with minor rack-rash for $199 + tax because of this. Make their stupidity work for you! :D

Only used gear I've seen at our local ones were WAY far above market value.... Guess it's store-dependent.

Back