Anyone ever experience this?

• Thread starter Thread starter ElectricVoodoo
  • Start date Start date
ElectricVoodoo
ElectricVoodoo
I have an 08 hwy strat body, loaded. Got rid of the original neck some years ago. I purchased a deluxe roadhouse neck and put it on. It never 100% played right no matter how I set it up. Fret adjust, neck relief, etc...

So I took a 1/4 turn on all the screws to slightly raise it, and it plays better than it has.

Is it possible that the roadhouse deluxe neck had deeper screwholes than the original, making it difficult to adjust?
I could've used a shim, but for now, it works.

Anyone ever experience this when swapping a neck ?

That is really odd. Check the depth of the holes with a depth gauge and tap them a little deeper if you can. I can say that I have never ran across that. At minimum I would shim it though.

swamptrashstompboxes":24kfqud1 said:
That is really odd. Check the depth of the holes with a depth gauge and tap them a little deeper if you can. I can say that I have never ran across that. At minimum I would shim it though.
:rock:
Shim. Period. Grab a medium pick, loosen the neck screws just enough to let the pick slide down the middle front of the neck joint. Tighten up your screws. That might be all you need. That’s worked for me 3 times with guitars that I just couldn’t set up right no matter what I tried. All they needed was a slightly steeper angle at the neck joint.

All this time, it just never occurred to me to look into the neck pocket. Keep in mind that the roundhouse deluxe neck wasn't made for that Hwy 1 strat body Possibility be some of the issue?? I saw that stew mac has wooden maple shims as well.
.maybe I will try to rig one up, or do the pick thing..

ElectricVoodoo":2zy5nbkf said:
All this time, it just never occurred to me to look into the neck pocket. Keep in mind that the roundhouse deluxe neck wasn't made for that Hwy 1 strat body Possibility be some of the issue?? I saw that stew mac has wooden maple shims as well.
.maybe I will try to rig one up, or do the pick thing..
You’d be surprised how much of a difference even a medium pick makes with the neck angle. I tried a heavy with a Charvel that I couldn’t get low enough action on; but the heavy pick was too much. Then I couldn’t raise it enough. Medium worked perfect. I don’t think you can get wood thin enough. If you google it some people have used thin cardboard, or thicker paper to do this. It doesn’t take much.

Thanks. Will do. I've never had to deal with neck pockets before. It makes sense though. It's another variable that can throw the guitar off. Annoying to a degree.

I would go the stew Mac route tbh. They are good with support on their stuff.

I have to shim 2 Tele's and 2 Strat's over the years for this issue.

Back