Anyone gig using preamp, pedal, or modeller into an effects loop only for tones?

• Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
romanianreaper
romanianreaper
I'm new to this idea of using an amp's effect loop return to skip the preamp, after 40 years of playing. I was curious if anyone gigs or plays with this setup and why that works better than just using the preamp tones in the amp you are plugged into for the tones?

I don't gig anymore, but using a separate preamp into the return of your amp (bypassing the amp's preamp) let's you have different sounds than your amp. that's about it. Not too different from old rack gear with separate power and preamps...I used to run my Marshall JMP-1 and JFX-1 into my ADA B200S power amp because matching Marshall monobloc power amps were big, heavy and expensive. I ran my TriAxis preamp into my Engl E850/100 power amp, etc.

using a digital modeler for preamp only would work the same way into an amps power amp

I don't gig anymore, but using a separate preamp into the return of your amp (bypassing the amp's preamp) let's you have different sounds than your amp. that's about it. Not too different from old rack gear with separate power and preamps...I used to run my Marshall JMP-1 and JFX-1 into my ADA B200S power amp because matching Marshall monobloc power amps were big, heavy and expensive. I ran my TriAxis preamp into my Engl E850/100 power amp, etc.

using a digital modeler for preamp only would work the same way into an amps power amp
It is crazy that I'm just now doing this, lol.

The Super Crush 100 sounds great but even better with the Friedman IR-X and I imagine modellers would sound killer too.

Reactions: rsm
Guy I do guitar work for always brings a Synergy Syn1 with whatever module he considers his favorite at the time with him to gigs ....because most of the time he's doing multiple band shows and they always share the " house " amp .... so he just plugs in his SYn1 into the loop ...

I could see how the Friedman would work even better ....

I use my Helix into either a PS-2 or an amp effects loop. Makes my tone "repeatable" (especially to FOH) by using the direct out from the pedalboard then using the amp just for stage volume. Honestly just makes gigs way easier.

Reactions: rsm
I went straight into a pa but not into an amp with a hd500. But years ago I used 3 or 4 Tom scholtz mini rack units into a fender super 60. Pretty bitchin sound believe it or not.

I have done this for some time. Now my current set up is. Myasnikov or Caswell -> any Fx return on any of my amps. Whether it be the SLO 100, Larry, Wizard, TBR SL series or straight into a power amp. And depending on the power section of the amp will help determine a sound.. I didn’t like one of my power amps this way so I switched and like magic, it’s better. That’s not the whole set up, but for this discussion, you get the point. The preamps with multiple channels are why I do it (clean/cross/angry) plus a sundry group of drivers/ boosts etc.

Last week I was fucking around with my FM9 into the returns of my Electra Dyne (90-watt, 6L6) and my Shiva (80-watt, EL34’s) and it’s pretty surprising how different amps will sound through different power sections. I was actually all fired up about it until realizing some preamps sound like straight ass through some power sections. Mesa’s sounded horrible through the Shiva but excellent through the Mesa.

It definitely put some perspective in front of me with how much a power section has to do with the final result, even if you’re not getting close to poweramp distortion.

Last week I was fucking around with my FM9 into the returns of my Electra Dyne (90-watt, 6L6) and my Shiva (80-watt, EL34’s) and it’s pretty surprising how different amps will sound through different power sections. I was actually all fired up about it until realizing some preamps sound like straight ass through some power sections. Mesa’s sounded horrible through the Shiva but excellent through the Mesa.

It definitely put some perspective in front of me with how much a power section has to do with the final result, even if you’re not getting close to poweramp distortion.
Just had this conversation. These are real tonal differences

Back